07:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Swansea
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 08:24:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[69] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Provision for onward travel if your connection is missed  (Read 6361 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: March 15, 2014, 11:19:42 »

Rhydgaled; the tale in quotes is enough to put many people off public transport!  Perhaps particularly lone female travellers.  A sense of vulnerability is enough to make you reach for the car keys
Indeed, but I hasten to add that you are safe from such problems if the only public transport you are using is the UK (United Kingdom) rail network. I would however like to know just how far rail's 'get you there' guarantee goes, does it apply only if you have missed the last train of the day? Or does a missed connection which leaves you unable to proceed towards your destination for over two hours also require the operator responsible to provide a taxi?

As I understand it, just to the end of the rail journey. A missed bus connection - or indeed flight - is your responsibility. The latter is the reason why rail companies won't be forced to 'get you there' whichever onward transportation you choose. Conversely, shouldn't bus companies who run late & you miss your Advance train booking, get you there too?
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 17:10:50 »

As I understand it, just to the end of the rail journey. A missed bus connection - or indeed flight - is your responsibility.
I know that, sorry I can't have made it clear enough.

What I don't know is, if you miss your planned train connection (due to an ealier delayed train) and there is another train later the same day (but not for several hours), does the train operator have to provide a taxi or do you have to wait hours for that next train? In other words, how long does your wait have to be before they have to get you a taxi?

Conversely, shouldn't bus companies who run late & you miss your Advance train booking, get you there too?
Indeed they should, if rail companies were also required to provide alternative transport should you miss the bus due to the train being late (which they aren't). This is exactly the sort of thing I am suggesting to try and help reverse the 'bus decline'. Rail use is growing, rather than declining, so better bus-rail integration should help buses out.

If the official bus-rail connection time was 15 minutes (10 minutes PPM(resolve) lateness plus five minutes to get from train to bus) I suspect the bus companies wouldn't cause many missed connections and hence wouldn't have to pay for taxis very often.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 17:20:39 »

There is nothing set out in the regulations that states *when* taxis/alternative transport *has* to be provided. Just that they *have* to get you to your final (rail) destination. I suspect fares would have to rise to cover the increased costs were there to be a maximum wait for the next train, for example.

I can't ever see the regulations including a maximum wait.

It's down to your persuasiveness and the TOCs (Train Operating Company) staff to get you moving sooner than the next train....the longer the wait / shorter the distance, in my experience, the easier to persuade staff that you need alternative transport. For example, I'd be disappointed to wait longer than two hours if that's the next train - but harder definitely if the station operator and the train provider aren't the same!

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) won't. full stop. Unless it's the last connection of the day you miss, then they're very good.

Don't think you'll ever see this applied to buses though. It'll more likely put more routes out of business as their costs will undoubtedly rise. Road accidents are more frequent than rail ones, for example. And the traffic....!!

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 17:30:34 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) are hardly ever in a position to actually arrange taxis. They do not operate any stations and it is, in the vast majority of cases, station staff at the station where you are stranded that make the decision.

Following late arriving CrossCountry services at Bristol Temple Meads, FGW (First Great Western) have arranged taxis for me. Ultimately, XC pay for that taxi.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 17:39:42 »

FGW (First Great Western) do, but only after gaining authorisation from XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)). And they never give it, other than for late-night (usually last connection gone) taxis....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 17:55:37 »

Never had a FGW (First Great Western) member of staff 'gain authorisation'. They've just filled out the chit with details of the incoming delayed service and given me my copy to hand to the cabbie.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 18:13:34 »

hmmm - you haven't been watching closely enough....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 18:38:05 »

I can quite clearly see what is happening thanks. Two occasions in the last year where I'd arrived on a heavily delayed XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service and had missed potential connections. The Customer Information office was opened at Bristol Temple Meads for the DSM to retrieve to taxi chit book. He filled out the chits in my presence and gave them to me.

At no point was there any contact with CrossCountry before the chit was handed to me. On both occasions the chit clearly had the headcode of the delayed XC service entered in the relevant fields.

I pay attention to such things. I was there ChrisB. You weren't.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 18:48:06 »

In which case, it was so heavily delayed that Bristol had obtained authorisation prior to its arrival.##I have seen XCs (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) instructions to other TOCs (Train Operating Company) staff.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 10:06:02 »

In which case, it was so heavily delayed that Bristol had obtained authorisation prior to its arrival.##I have seen XCs (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) instructions to other TOCs (Train Operating Company) staff.

From personal experience having worked on the station side of things, XC will not pay out for taxi's without an authorisation number.

This doesn't stop a station organising a taxi, but if FGW (First Great Western) later ask for authorisation and XC decline, then the bill is landing on FGW's desk.  We would check the whole journey the customer had made on TRUST (Train Running System TOPS) to verify it was the XC train that caused the mis-connect and not another TOC, but XC would want to know.

(To add, XC never once turned down a request when it came to missing the last service of the day).

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 18:04:13 »

Never had a FGW (First Great Western) member of staff 'gain authorisation'. They've just filled out the chit with details of the incoming delayed service and given me my copy to hand to the cabbie.

hmmm - you haven't been watching closely enough....

Not sure if it's still the case, but XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) (in the days when it was a Virgin franchise) used to allow taxis to be authorised by staff without gaining authority from their control office as long as the agreed fare didn't exceed a certain amount and other guidelines were followed.  Their control was getting so many calls when the service was disrupted that it was deemed an inefficient practice for staff at stations to phone up for every instance - indeed sometimes they couldn't get through at all!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 19:20:13 »

FCC (First Capital Connect) generally have an unwritten rule of 2 hours delay before they will even entertain the idea of taxis.

I do remember once when travelling back from Manchester Pic back home, that some idiot lorry driver decided to take on a railway bridge. Last connection of the night via central trains. I did have to stand my ground but a taxi was duly authorised despite me requesting a hotel for the night and would have prob been cheaper for the TOC (Train Operating Company).

Other times I have been forced to wait 2-3 hours for the next train.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 09:22:32 »

From personal experience having worked on the station side of things, XC will not pay out for taxi's without an authorisation number.

This doesn't stop a station organising a taxi, but if FGW (First Great Western) later ask for authorisation and XC decline, then the bill is landing on FGW's desk.  We would check the whole journey the customer had made on TRUST (Train Running System TOPS) to verify it was the XC train that caused the mis-connect and not another TOC, but XC would want to know.

(To add, XC never once turned down a request when it came to missing the last service of the day).

Isn't this typical of the way the railways work? TOCs shaking handbags at each other whilst the paying customer suffers.....if a TOC has failed to keep to its side of the deal by getting the train in on time and this means the customer is in danger of missing flights etc (notwithstanding allowing the recommended connection time), then this should be mitigated by providing the customer with an alternative means of transport, no squabbling, end of, regardless of what time of day it is.Put the customer first, every time.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:39:17 by TaplowGreen » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 10:08:37 »

Isn't this typical of the way the railways work?

Yes and - err - unYes.

A couple of examples that I've seen / am familiar with.

a) The last Cross Country service into Bristol Temple Meads to connect forward to Weymouth often rolls in a bit late, and the Weymouth leaves on time - "I saw the train leaving" stuff.  It's my understanding that passengers are sent on the next Westbury train, and taxied from there - and I think that they're taken to the office and arrangements made for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to be billed.   However - in my experience the XC delay is (often as not) caused by a late running Malvern to Temple Meads local service, so perhaps FGW (First Great Western) should pick up the bill?

b) There is a specific policy at Swindon for the holding of connections to Gloucester and Cheltenham in the event of a late running train from London (even in the event of a cancelled one in one case) and a note of which services passengers will be required to "drop back" on, and which will be taxied.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: