16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 16:48:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[103] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[82] access for all at Devon stations report
[49] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[35] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[6] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[4] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Beeching discussion  (Read 8228 times)
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« on: March 15, 2014, 23:43:41 »

But I have seen in quoted that the cost of maintaining / operating those lines from 1966 to 2016 - 50 years - would have far outstripped the price involved in decommissioning and recommissioning.  You can't just let a line lie fallow and then bring it back to life cheaply - take a look at Cambridge to St Ives, March to Wisbech, Ebbw Vale, Borders, Wareham to Corfe Castle, Frome to Radstock, Stoke-on-trent to  etc.   Tracks left fallow rot away, even double lines singled have embankments that may erode over the years and engineering works be replaced double by single. Look at the north and south Cotswolds lines, and consider the bridge over the Avon at Staverton on the TransWilts.   On rolling stock, would it really have been in useful condition after 50 years?  Take a trip to Norchard ... so, in summary, you may fume but behind the scenes (IF the railways weren't needed for 50 years) you've probably not lost too much - and who would have gambled on a renaissance anyway?

I appreciate the facts you present grahame.  I just seems to me that Beeching was a bit previous with his line closures.  Were all these branch lines already running at a severe loss?  Or was Beeching just using his 'transport vision of the future' theory to savage the railway system, to reduce government spending?  If my memory serves me rightly, the railway system was nationalised at the time, in the guise of 'British Rail', do correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:32:49 by grahame » Logged

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 23:47:12 »

Oh crumbs, I've done it wrong again, one of these days I'll get the hang of highlighting quotes properly.  I seem to have highlighted my reply as well.   Roll Eyes

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 07:26:04 »

I appreciate the facts you present grahame.  I just seems to me that Beeching was a bit previous with his line closures.  Were all these branch lines already running at a severe loss?  Or was Beeching just using his 'transport vision of the future' theory to savage the railway system, to reduce government spending?  If my memory serves me rightly, the railway system was nationalised at the time, in the guise of 'British Rail', do correct me if I'm wrong.

"Pendulum Management".   There were a considerable number of lines / services at an infrequent level (sometimes as low as one train per day).  There were duplicated lines.   There were lines where the route hadn't been reviewed since 1923 when lots of independent track owning companies came together which had become illogical but would have worked well with the addition of a curve / a change through to a different service. There were stations where most traffic had been lost to car and bus which went to the village and not to "Beachresort Road" or "Greenfield for Markettown" where occasional trains called. And these needed attention - in my view closure of a significant number of sections was regrettable, but sensible. 

Except  ... the net was drawn far too widely, and in what looks like a dogmatic zeal that reduced without due regard to the future, and indeed reduced based on dubious analysis and with little balanced forethought, and in my view that lead to a significant number of sections being closed which weren't at all sensible decisions.

Treading on very dangerous ground to find an example ... in an area I'm not too familiar with ... Cirencester had a short branch to Kemble, with a reasonable service on it.   And it had the Midland and South West Junction which had come down to a service that was virtually non-existent.  Both went ... but I rather suspect that a review / concentration on ending up with a proper network at the end may have concluded that one should be retained, perhaps in a different and foreword-looking form.

But bear in mind that from around 20 billion passenger journey miles in the early 1960s, we're now up to around (over?) 30 billion passenger journey miles in the 2010x (old graph showing trend on page 5 of http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/files/publicationsdocuments/npsA67D_tmp.pdf ) so that what is justified today in terms of line / service was a hard call in those days.   The recent dramatic upward curve has caused problems with lack of stock and line capacity and service, as even 10 years ago forecasts were based on tiny growth.  And - hard though it is to justify a dramatic improvement on an existing line - the major stumbling block to a decision rightly updated from 2003/4 when 0.8% not 8.0% annual growth was forecast - is "where does get the train from" and "is there a platform it can use".

There is, though, an ongoing picture and a need to review not just for this year, but for 1, 5, 10 and 20 years hence. Getting public / community involvement is tough.  The young don't have the life experience on which to bas inputs, the middle aged are too busy earning a living to feed families, and the old aren't going to motivate to look at things that they won't live to see.   And very few people have the stamina to jump into a report headed "2026" and see it through all the way from now until 13 years hence.

We have move a l-o-n-g way from bus decline.   Perhaps one of my fellow moderators who's not so involved in the thread would care to split the subject ... subjectively rather than emotionally, which I might do!

Oh crumbs, I've done it wrong again, one of these days I'll get the hang of highlighting quotes properly.  I seem to have highlighted my reply as well.   Roll Eyes

I have fixed the original quote.  Do click on the "modify" button to look at what I have done - easier than me explaining in words.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 07:46:27 »

I think that just about sums it up for me grahame.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 11:08:29 »

BR (British Rail(ways)) in total was running at a cost that couldn't be met by the current Government...can't remember exact figures, but it was large (for those days) and the lines closed were severely underused.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 11:18:07 »

So much for my attempt to wrench us back on topic - sod it, I guess we are doing Beeching instead  Grin

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 12:43:10 »

No problem, Lee!  Wink Cheesy Grin

I've simply split off the previous posts into this 'interim new topic', pending a further sort into other existing topics, where they will hopefully be more relevant to any ongoing discussions.

CfN

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 12:44:24 »

Cheers Chris  Smiley

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 14:01:03 »

I pay attention to such things. I was there ChrisB. You weren't.

Or to put it another way:

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 14:25:18 »

...the lines closed were severely underused.

I realise that you may not appreciate being paraphrased quoted out of context, but I think that misses the point of Beeching's vision. Beeching essentially wanted rail to do what it was best at, and he did not think rail was best at the last few miles of a journey. That meant that even lines that were well-loaded and paid their way were closed, if it was possible to replace them with a bus service.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 16:12:01 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 14:42:07 »

Chippenham-Calne was a good example of that approach. Excellent passenger figures, even during the flawed survey period, but it was judged that all of that traffic could be replaced by bus.

4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 15:56:42 »

I know that discussions about Dr. Beeching tend to generate more heat than light, even 50 years later, but I would like to add a little to the background about the railways' finances at the time, especially for those that were not there!

The basic problem was that the British Transport Commission had no effective management accounts - they knew to a penny how much their locomotives cost per mile in maintenance but they had not a clue about which services and lines were generating the income and how much the routes were costing to operate. How did this state of affairs arise?

Well, it all started a very long time ago^

The Rail and Canal Traffic Act of 1854 (and, no - I wasn't there either!) obliged the railways to carry any and all goods offered to them (with some minor exceptions) at rates which were government regulated. These rates were based on the weight and value of goods carried - rather than the costs of operation, and they made any effective form of management accounting for freight superfluous. Even if the costs and income were accurately known for each station, terminal and train - nothing could be done as the railway /had/ to carry the traffic.

As long as the railways had effectively a monopoly of inland transport the charges could be set so that the railways could make a return - but it was marginal. But as soon as the lorry started taking the remunerative freight traffic the railways started their slide to financial ruin.

Then in 1947 the railways were nationalised and were run by the Railway Executive of the British Transport Commission. They were given what must be the wooliest financial objective ever - the BTC was required to break even 'taking one year with another'!

Rather than appoint a businessman to run the railways, in 1948 a career civil servant (Cyril Hurcomb) was given the job of Chairman of the British Transport Commission and in 1953 the Government appointed a retired general (Brian Robertson) as Chairman. He had previously been Deputy Military Governor of Germany after the war and then, from 1947, the Military Governor and British member of the Allied Control Council for Germany.

By definition civil servants can't run businesses and although Robertson had had some experience of industry his background made him, I submit, equally unsuitable for the post.

What was needed was someone with an eye for the future and with the mind of an accountant: civil servants from the Ministry of Shipping and a military man were unlikely to meet the job description. As a result nobody had any more than a vague idea where the money was coming from and where it was being spent until Beeching carried out his traffic surveys. These were subsequently much criticised, but they were the only hard data available at the time.

The railways stopped being profitable in the early 1950s and by the end of 1955 stopped covering their operational costs. By 1960 the annual loss reached ^68 million, ^1,130 million in today's money. In spite of the losses, in 1955 the Government of the day (the Churchill/Eden administration) made available ^1.2 billion - the equivalent to ^25 billion to ^30 billion today - to modernise the railways and restore their financial stability. Most of the money was wasted as can be seen from the steadily increasing losses - in effect the Modernisation Plan made no difference whatsoever to the railways' financial position. This being the case the Beeching approach (or if not him then somebody else with accounting skills and a clear idea of what the railways should be doing) was inevitable.

The 1854 (and later amendments) Common Carrier obligation was finally lifted in 1957, at least 40 years too late.

It's well worth reading the Beeching Report, actually both of them (scanned copies are available on-line, go to http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk and search for 'Beeching Report'), to see how clear sighted he was. As Red Squirrel says, essentially he wanted the railways to do what they were best at doing. His conclusions are still valid.

The only possibly valid criticism of Beeching was that although he took the first steps at identifying where the money went, he did not seem to see any possibilities of reducing the costs of operation of some of the marginal lines. This is another subject, but the forces of inertia were enormous, no significant changes had been made in operations for a century or more, so changes would take time. Getting the finances back on track was a matter of urgency and it was quicker to cut the costs by closing the line than by changing the methods of operation. In any event changes would have needed capital investment and as the Modernisation money had already been blown to no great effect the politicians didn't trust the railwaymen to make the necessary changes. Money for investment became very tight in the subsequent years - but the railways had only themselves to blame.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 16:32:28 »

Like a lot of people who have studied the Beeching Reports, I am torn - many, many mistakes were made, but you could well argue that Beeching is the springboard of the modern railway's success. My main criticisms are:

• The post-Beeching passenger railway seems to be mostly concerned with getting people into and out of London. To that extent Beeching may have accellerated the process of giving Britain a two-tier economy, with London streaking ahead of the rest of the country;
  • Beeching seems not to have recognised the importance of the last few miles - if you have to drive five miles to get to the station, chances are you'll drive right past it and keep going until you reach your destination;
  • A rail link is a tangible statement of the economic importance and vibrancy of a community. A bus link, as we still see today, can be here today and gone tomorrow.

But imagine if Beeching had not happened, with his Inter-City trains and route rationalisation; imagine that the railway had bumbled on as it was until 1979, when Mrs Thatcher came to power... would there be anything left now?

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 20:46:11 »

Thoughts from down under. My major criticism of Beeching was that he looked at the railways as they were in 1960 which was as Graham said basically the same as Grouping in 23. Midland services duplicated GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) and GN services (Leen Valley) so each was uneconomic. What he should have looked at was the network and how towns could be linked, maybe by diverting trains off one Co. line onto another for the last leg or perhaps again as Graham said a strategic new connections.

Unfortunately BR (British Rail(ways))'s attempt at rationalization of Leeds was not well manged and dragged on and probably put management off doing something similar elsewhere. Although now it would be hard to imagine that the local train services would so popular if there were still two stations in Leeds.

The freight side managed it much better with the provision of basically on spur from West to North at Shirebrook from the LDEC to the Midland which  allowed many of the most productive collieries to be single served by Merry go round trains. There were also a couple of spurs built in South Wales that enable lengths of line to be closed but the pits and coke ovens still to be served.

The problem was at that time my friends the bean counters didn't have the tools to cost the utility of the network as a whole. Now we see the advantage of serving the remotest community with high speed Broadband even though technically it doesn't pay it's way overall it adds considerably to the overall utility of the WWW (World Wide Web) and the local economy. Just as keeping many lines open would have done the same for their communities.   
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 21:41:03 »

The problem was at that time my friends the bean counters didn't have the tools to cost the utility of the network as a whole. Now we see the advantage of serving the remotest community with high speed Broadband even though technically it doesn't pay it's way overall it adds considerably to the overall utility of the WWW (World Wide Web) and the local economy. Just as keeping many lines open would have done the same for their communities.   

A very well-reasoned argument. Such a shame the same principles couldn't be applied to the Post Office network today, since we're in danger of losing that too (if indeed it's not too late already)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: