22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 12:57:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[191] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[114] access for all at Devon stations report
[75] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[13] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[9] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: First Bus service changes in and around Bath, Wiltshire & Somerset  (Read 20223 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:23:02 »

From First Bus:

Quote from: First Bus
A number of changes are being made to bus services in and around Bath and in parts of Somerset and Wiltshire from 13 April as First alters its local network.

Among the changes First is renumbering some of its services between Bath and Bristol so that buses travelling in similar directions will have similar, sequential numbers. Specifically services 332, 338, 339 (all of which travel between Bath and Bristol) are being renumbered to operate as Services 37, 38 and 39/X39 from April. These changes will make it easier for people to remember the numbers of the routes they want to use.

In addition to this, a number of timetable changes are being made. In some places the frequency of buses is being improved, while elsewhere frequencies are being reduced to better match resources against the level of demand for services.

In some places routes are changing slightly.

Talking about the changes, Simon Ford, Commercial Manager for First in the West of England, says: "We're changing a number of our routes in April. In some cases we've reacted to customer requests for changes -for instance renumbering and retiming one morning and afternoon journey between Wells and Bridgwater to help people in the Somerset Levels travel to and from work more easily by bus - but elsewhere changes are designed to respond more to the changing demand for our services.

"Some buses are being renumbered so that buses travelling in similar directions will have similar, sequential numbers. While we recognise that some changes can initially be a bit confusing, over time this will make it simpler for people to remember bus numbers more readily.

"In Somerset there are a couple of significant changes. Firstly, following customer requests were reinstating one morning and afternoon Service 375 journey through villages between Wells and Bridgwater, to help people travel to and from work by bus. Elsewhere we are altering the route of Service 267 from April, which means that buses will travel directly between Woolverton and Beckington and will no longer serve Rode. This change is being made to cut the overall journey time and because passenger numbers in Rode are very low.

"The new timetables for all the affected services will be available on our website, www.firstgroup.com/bath, by mid March and available to pick up from First Travel Shops by the beginning of April."

***IMPORTANT NOTE*** In addition to the changes detailed below, further changes affecting Services 37 and 319 are expected to be made in the coming days in response to the closure for six months of the A431 in Kelston. The detail of these changes will be publicised shortly.

Specific changes affected buses in and around Bath and parts of Somerset and Wiltshire and, from April

Service 1 (Combe Down - Upper Weston): In order to reduce congestion at Bath Bus Station the timetable of this service is being adjusted. From April journeys across all days of operation and in both directions will be brought forward by 15 minutes. Customers are advised to check the new timetable carefully to understand how the alterations may affect them. In addition to this, journeys towards Combe Down will no longer stop in the bus station but instead will use stops outside it on Dorchester Street. This change is being made to again tackle issues of congestion within the bus station.

Service 18 (Lower Oldfield Park - University of Bath): The timetable is being adjusted to ensure that the frequency of buses best matches the demand for them. Amongst the changes there will be extra evening journeys and improved weekend frequencies during university term times and university holidays and some additional late night journeys during term time. Those who use the service are advised to check the new timetables carefully to ensure they understand what is happening.

***NEW NUMBER*** Service 37 (Bristol - Bath): Service 37 is the new number for what has previously been known as Service 332. It is being renumbered so that the more of the buses travelling in similar directions have similar, sequential numbers. From April buses travelling between Bristol and Bath will be known as Services 37, 38 and 39/X39 (these replace services 332, 338, 339 respectively).

In addition to this the route is being altered slightly. In Bristol journeys, on departure from Bristol Bus Station, will travel via The Horsefair and Penn Street (rather than Fairfax Street and Broad Weir). This means one stop on Broad Weir will no longer be served, but does mean that buses travelling in a similar direction will use the same stops. Elsewhere, buses will no longer serve the Apsects Leisure Centre on Monday - Saturday evenings or Sundays and Public Holidays. This is because demand for stops at the leisure centre at these times is low.

Finally the timetable is being adjusted, with Monday to Friday departure times from Bristol and Bath made more consistent throughout the day. From Bristol buses will generally leave at XX15 and from Bath at XX20. In addition an extra early morning journey is being added in, from Bath to Bristol, and some other changes are being made to improve the punctuality and reliability of the service.

*** IMPORTANT NOTE: In addition to the changes detailed above, a further change affecting Service 37 is expected to be made in response to the closure of the A431 in Kelston. The detail of this change will be publicised in due course ***

***NEW NUMBER*** Service 38 (Bath -Bristol): Service 38 is the new number for what has previously been known as Service 338. It is being renumbered so that the more of the buses travelling in similar directions have similar, sequential numbers. From April buses travelling between Bristol and Bath will be known as Services 37, 38 and 39/X39 (these replace services 332, 338, 339 respectively). The route will remain the same although there will be a few minor changes to the timetable.

***NEW NUMBER*** Service 39/X39 (Bath - Bristol): Service 39 is the new number for what has previously been known as Service 339. It will continue to work in tandem with Service X39 to provide journeys between Bath and Bristol. The service has been renumbered so that the more of the buses travelling in similar directions have similar, sequential numbers. From April buses travelling between Bristol and Bath will be known as Services 37, 38 and 39/X39 (these replace services 332, 338, 339 respectively). The route will remain the same.

Service 184 (Bath - Frome): Following a council consultation the route and timetable of this service is changing slightly. Specifically the Monday - Saturday daytime frequency of journeys beyond Midsomer Norton to Frome will be reduced: from April there will generally be one bus every two hours between these two points. Monday to Friday peak time journeys will be unaffected though, remaining as they are. Journeys operating between Bath and Midsomer Norton will be similarly unaffected, they will continue to operate hourly, but on arrival in Midsomer Norton will terminate at Old Mills Tesco.

Service 234 (Frome - Chippenham): The route and timetable of this service is changing. From April buses will no longer serve the section of route between Frome (Market Place) and Frome (Sainsburys). Customers who wish to travel between will be able to use Services 184 and 267 (although they should note that Service 267 will operate a circular route from the Market Place via Critchall Road, not serving Sainsburys). In addition to this the timetable is being tweaked in places, and while departure times from Frome and Chippenham will be broadly similar to what they are now customers are advised to check the timetable carefully before travelling to ensure they understand what is happening.

Service 267 (Bath - Frome): The route and timetable of this service is changing. From 13 April buses will no longer serve Rode but instead will use the A36 to travel between Woolverton and Beckington. Service 234 will provide some alternative for people in Rode wishing to travel to and from Frome, but the opportunity to travel directly to and from Bath will be lost. The changes are being made because demand for services in Rode is low and the alteration allows for the overall journey time to be reduced making the service more appealing to others using it.

In addition to this the route that buses take around Frome itself will change. Buses will operate a circular route from the Market Place via Critchall Road. They will no longer serve Sainsburys.

Finally, the timetable is being adjusted. From April buses running Mondays - Saturdays will generally leave Bath at half past the hour (15 minutes later than at present) and Frome (Market Place).at 36 minutes past the hour. Customers are advised to check the timetable carefully before travelling to ensure they understand what is happening.

Service 319 (Bath - Cribbs Causeway): A change to this service is expected to be made in response to the closure of the A431 in Kelston. The detail of this change will be publicised in due course.

Service 375/X75 (Bridgwater - Wells): Following customer requests and to help people in travel to and from work in Bridgwater, one morning and one afternoon X75 journey are being retimed and re-numbered. From April First will provide a Service 375 journey at 0640 hours (Monday to Friday) from Wells to Bridgwater and a 1750 hours journey from Bridgwater to Wells.

The following services will also be renumbered:
Service 332 - Renumbered as Service 37
Service 338 - Renumbered as Service 38
Service 339 - Renumbered as Service 39

A number of interesting aspects to this:

- Have First fallen out with Sainsburys? As a result of these changes, the Frome store will only be served by 2 First buses in every 2 hour period (services 161 & 184) during the daytime. Faresaver will continue to serve Sainsburys every 30 minutes on the X34, I should point out.

- The retiming of First service 267 means that in combination with Faresaver 267, the pattern will be nearly half-hourly in both directions, rather than the two services running close together as at present. It looks as though this evenly-spaced pattern may be remain in place for a reasonable period of time too, as there is no sign (yet) of the usual Faresaver counter-registration that we have come to expect in such circumstances.

Unfortunately, those in TransWilts-land hoping for something similar to happen with the changes to the 234 service on the core Trowbridge-Melksham-Chippenham section are likely to be disappointed, so I'm told - a missed opportunity.

- It obviously wont exactly be welcome news to Rode passengers that the 267 will be missing them out from April, and it will be very interesting indeed to see whether the resultant reduction in overall journey time does attract more passengers. The omens aren't necessarily that good - They tried something similar with villages on the 375 Wells-Bridgwater route recently (turning journeys into X75s) and are now having to put some route 375 journeys back in.

- I'm not sure I would describe the reduction in service 184 frequency between Midsomer Norton-Frome from hourly to 2-hourly as a slight change in the timetable! Indeed, the Rural Services Network have picked up on this example - http://www.wellsjournal.co.uk/Bus-cuts-devastating-villages-near-Wells/story-20812408-detail/story.html - Note the appearance again of a certain generic quote I highlighted earlier.

Personally, I think they have got it wrong here. I used the service myself last week, and we were well into double figures on the "country" section, passenger-wise.

I will end with a shameless plug - if you do use service 184, then stop off for a pot of tea and some cake at the fab Walled Garden at Mells.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 12:56:42 »

A number of interesting aspects to this:

- Have First fallen out with Sainsburys? As a result of these changes, the Frome store will only be served by 2 First buses in every 2 hour period (services 161 & 184) during the daytime. Faresaver will continue to serve Sainsburys every 30 minutes on the X34, I should point out.

Stated by First as being to add robustness to the route.

- It obviously wont exactly be welcome news to Rode passengers that the 267 will be missing them out from April, and it will be very interesting indeed to see whether the resultant reduction in overall journey time does attract more passengers. The omens aren't necessarily that good - They tried something similar with villages on the 375 Wells-Bridgwater route recently (turning journeys into X75s) and are now having to put some route 375 journeys back in.

Suggestion is that passenger numbers in Rode were minimal, but First are getting a lot of flack.  As well as the 375, I also note 264/5 at Winsley and the upsets there, and others too.

- I'm not sure I would describe the reduction in service 184 frequency between Midsomer Norton-Frome from hourly to 2-hourly as a slight change in the timetable!

Personally, I think they have got it wrong here. I used the service myself last week, and we were well into double figures on the "country" section, passenger-wise.

There was, I understand, a subsidy on the extra services.  Subsidy withdrawn, and services gone.   Comment is made in the original post quoting First about "peak journeys unaffected" - I understand that's into Bath in the morning and out in the evening; the busiest bus out of Frome in the evening at around 17:30 has gone.

Brief answer - only got a few minutes gap in my real job to post, but important to fill in on what the customer panel was told.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 13:19:32 »

Subsidy comment on the 184 is a fair one. I did quote the First press release which stated that the cut was a result of a council consultation, and my comments should be seen in that context.

No harm in clarifying that though, along with the fact that it will be the commercial First journeys that remain between Midsomer Norton-Frome on the 184.

Interestingly, its the exact opposite situation to when the 161 services between Shepton Mallet-Frome were cut from hourly to 2-hourly, in that only council-subsidised journeys remain on that section.

You mention Winsley - First will no doubt point to their recent route alterations through the village on the 265 service as having improved the situation there.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 21:12:18 »

Relevant First Bus timetable leaflets valid from 13 April 2014 can be found here.

Also, Faresaver have published a revised X34 Chippenham-Melksham-Trowbridge-Frome timetable valid from 31 March 2014.

The main change is that the X34 will now serve Sainsburys and Methuen Park in Chippenham before heading towards Lacock and Melksham, which means that services will leave Chippenham Bus Station a few minutes earlier than at present. Never fear though - By the time the service reaches Lacock it will have resumed its natural position slightly ahead of First service 234, and the noise of the engine as it approaches will no doubt provide a fitting accompaniment to the sound of grahame banging his head against a brick wall... 

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 06:21:57 »

Fare changes are announced in a press release that was unembargoed at midnight - see

http://atrebatia.info/woe_bus_prices.pdf

Bus fares set to change as consultation results announced

*** Children and young people will see cost of travel slashed ***
*** Flat fares for Bath and Weston-super-Mare ***
*** Fares for regional services directly linked to distance travelled ***

Changes are from 6th July - at a first glance many changes look like sensible ones that sort out issues.

I was at the First Bus user group meeting yesterday evening and have some more background and will attempt to answer questions if anyone has them.   

First's expectation is that revenues will initially be hit (i.e. it is not a price rise in general, with winners and losers), but people will come back and come back in bigger numbers as the pricing is more tuned to current requirements and meets new markets.   Of course, that may lead to the need to provide extra services.

Another headline is that return fares GO ... just singles, or the ^7 WoE freedom ticket for the day.  I suspect that the WoE freedom replaced  the SW freedom and severely reduces the area covered for the price, but my reading of that needs confirming.

Distance pricing on interurban routes is sensible. It should reduce Corsham->Chippenham prices, for example, which have been silly.  Beware of distances quoted though - they are bus route distances, not distances as the crow flies.  So I think that passengers will end up paying a pound extra for that long and slow loop through the Chippenham suburbs (for example).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 08:17:10 »

Further feedback on First's bus prices in the Bath / Wiltshire area.

A week before the fares come in, and we've still not got any confirmation of which of the 3 mile zones the journey from Bath to Melksham will fall into - in other words, we don't know what the bus fare will be as from 6th July.  It may be ^4.50 or it may be ^5.50 depending on how the milage is worked out;   that relates to measuring the bus route itself (so passengers may end up paying more for that trip around the lanes at Purlpit and Whitley).   Or it may be ^5.70 or ^6.70 or ^7.00 ...

From First's "Fairer fares for all" booklet

If a journey begins within a flat fare zone but travels beyond the border of the zone, the fare will be calculated as follows:  Flat fare to the border of the zone, the ^2.50, ^3.50, ^4.50 or ^5.50 depending on the distance travelled thereafter

Clear as mud ... it reads to me as ^2.20 to Kellards, plus a mileage fare from Kellards to Melksham. And if it exceeds ^7.00 then a freedom of West of England will be sold.

This is different to we were told at the Bath bus users meeting a couple of weeks ago.    So I phoned up and spoke to the (shift) manager of the call centre on the leaflet.   Who didn't have a copy, went away to find out and came back with an honest "don't know".   She will put it to her boss, and her boss's boss (who we know from the customer panel) and get back with me.   However, these people are stretched and response times not brilliant, so we may just discover that the only way to find out what's going to be charged from 6th July is to get onto a bus and see!

What could and should have been a simple system may not be.  The re-assurances that it was simply ^2.50 then increments of a pound, verbally to the user forum, seem muddied and complicated by what the booklet says - the wording tends to suggest something different.  I would put it down to just a miswriting / misunderstanding for many companies, but I've seen First sneak too many things in under the radar before - indeed, the ^7.00 freedom bus pass has very quietly changed from being all First buses in the West of England to First West of England.  May sound semantic, but that means the ticket is now only for Bath / Bristol / Weston based services and outliers, and doesn't let you ride down to Taunton or Exeter any more.

P.S. I note it talks about journeys that BEGIN within a flat fare zone, not "begin or end", so are we in for a different single fare from Bath to Melksham as compared to the Melksham to Bath fare?

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 10:07:29 »

Answer from Karen Baxter, who handles PR (Public Relations) for First West of England:

For single journeys that START INSIDE the Bath Flat Fare Zone:

Wholly within Bath Flat Fare Zone - ^2.20

Three to six miles - from ^2.50

Six to nine miles - from ^3.50

Nine to 12 miles - from ^4.50

Over 12 miles (within West of England area) - ^5.50

For single journeys that START OUTSIDE the Bath Flat Fare Zone:

Up to three miles - From ^1.50

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 23:00:30 »

From First's "Fairer fares for all" booklet

If a journey begins within a flat fare zone but travels beyond the border of the zone, the fare will be calculated as follows:  Flat fare to the border of the zone, the ^2.50, ^3.50, ^4.50 or ^5.50 depending on the distance travelled thereafter

There is no doubt that the above quote was vague and open to several different interpretations. However, now the new fare structure is in place and I^ve had the chance to study a number of different fare tables, I reckon I can see why they left it somewhat cloudy.

First of all, I would point out that single journeys that don^t involve travel into, out of or through the Bath Flat Fare Zone do appear to be based on the actual distance travelled as you would expect.

But what of single journeys that do involve the Bath Flat Fare Zone?

Answer from Karen Baxter, who handles PR (Public Relations) for First West of England:

For single journeys that START INSIDE the Bath Flat Fare Zone:

Wholly within Bath Flat Fare Zone - ^2.20

For single journeys that START OUTSIDE the Bath Flat Fare Zone:

Up to three miles - From ^1.50

4 out of the 7 Bath Flat Fare Zone border points exit into the West of England Zone. One of these, Odd Down Recycling Centre through which buses on the Radstock/Midsomer Norton corridor run, has single fares from Bath Bus Station that also appear to be based on the actual distance travelled ie from Bath Bus Station itself to ultimate destination. Example below:

SERVICE 173 ADULT SINGLE FARES FROM BATH BUS STATION

To Wellsway - ^2.20 (flat fare)
To Peasedown St John - ^2.50
To Radstock - ^3.50
To Midsomer Norton and Chilcompton - ^4.50
To Gurney Slade, South Horrington and Wells - ^5.50

However, the other 3 Bath Flat Fare Zone border points that exit into the West of England Zone (Midford Clearbrook Farm for the Frome corridor plus Batheaston Kellands and Limpley Stoke River Bridge for the Wiltshire corridors) have single fares from Bath Bus Station that do NOT appear to be based on the actual distance travelled ie from Bath Bus Station itself to ultimate destination.

Instead, there is a subtle but significant change in how the formula is applied - single fares from Bath Bus Station through these border points appear to be based on the distance travelled from the border point to ultimate destination. Example below (the eagle-eyed amongst you will notice an interesting anomaly ^ more on that later) :

SERVICE 265 ADULT SINGLE FARES FROM BATH BUS STATION

To Bathampton - ^2.20 (flat fare)
To Winsley - ^1.50
To Bradford-on-Avon - ^2.50
To Trowbridge - ^3.50
To White Horse Business Park - ^4.50
To Yarnbrook - ^4.50
To Westbury, Warminster and destinations through to Salisbury - ^5.50

Its relatively clear why First would choose to do this ^ Applying the distance-based formula in its pure form would have resulted in noticeable increases in some single fares from Bath to destinations along the Bath-Frome & Bath-Wiltshire corridors, which in turn would have conflicted with the PR ethos of the Fairer Fare changes, which is to send out a message of some increases, some decreases, but ultimately balancing out for the better.

What would be interesting to know is whether this was planned all along, or whether, given that many fare charts were not signed off until there were less than 48 hours to go to implementation, it was a decision made at the very last minute.

We will probably never know for sure.

So how will the new West of England Zone fare structure affect passengers in practice? Well, it^s no surprise that First have focused the majority of their publicity on the effect on single fares, because that^s where most of the good news is. In general terms, the biggest savings are to be found on single journeys at either end of the distance spectrum ie the shortest and longest distance journeys ^ Shortest journeys because single fares have historically been on the high side compared to distance travelled on such trips, and longest journeys because the new fare structure sets a cap of ^5.50 for adult single trips over 12 miles.

Middle-distance single journeys tend to see either slight increases or slight decreases in price. The following key adult single journeys from Melksham illustrate this:

MELKSHAM-BATH ^ Was ^4, now ^4.50 +50p

MELKSHAM-CHIPPENHAM - Was ^4, now ^3.50 -50p

MELKSHAM-TROWBRIDGE - Was ^4, now ^3.50 -50p

However, the Fairer Fares publicity hardly mentions the effect on 2-way journeys in the West of England Zone, and when one looks deeper it^s easy to see why.

Under the old fare structure, almost all adult return journeys in the West of England Zone were priced below ^7, in order to keep them below the ^7 charged for the First Day South West ticket. However, the new fare structure abolishes return tickets, effectively leaving 2-way journeys capped at the ^7 charged for a First West of England Day ticket (see grahame^s earlier post for the subtle but significant difference between ^South West^ & ^West of England^).

In practice, this means that almost all 2-way journeys in the West of England Zone (including all the key Melksham journeys mentioned above) where the adult single fare is ^3.50 or more will increase in price under the new structure. The only 2-way journeys that will reduce in price are some, but by no means all, of the 2-way journeys in the West of England Zone where the adult single fare has been reduced to ^2.50 or less.

Interestingly, this relative minority of journeys includes some of the fares that were most considered by the public to be unreasonably high. Examples include Bradford-on-Avon to Trowbridge, where the adult 2-way journey reduces from ^4 return to ^3 for two singles, which in themselves should have priced at ^2.50 under the new structure, but some judicious section-tweaking has seen that drop to ^1.50 single, half the price it was before. The relatively high previous price of Bradford-on-Avon to Trowbridge fares was cited as a key reason that working-age Bradford residents were put off using the bus, according to extensive surveys I myself was involved with last year.

Also, grahame mentions in a previous post the long-held public view that Corsham-Chippenham bus fares were too high. However, under the new fare structure, the 2-way journey reduces from ^5.40 adult return to ^5 for two singles, whilst the adult single reduces from ^4.10 to ^2.50.

Finally, remember that interesting anomaly from earlier that the eagle-eyed among you will have noticed?

Winsley, which as both grahame & myself have mentioned in previous posts has been the scene of much acrimony in the past between bus users and First over route changes, comes out as one of the biggest winners of the new fare structure, with an adult single from Bath Bus Station reducing from ^4 to ^1.50. This is a cheaper adult single journey than Bath-Bathampton, which is reached well before Winsley but will cost ^2.20 for an adult single from Bath Bus Station.

It's a funny old world.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 23:42:04 »

Another interesting aspect that people may not realise (because First have kept it very quiet indeed) is that Weston Zone adult tickets cost ^4.20 day, ^18 week, ^64 month and ^690 year under the old fare structure, and were valid for travel as far as Glastonbury, Burnham and Wells. However, the Weston Zone now only covers Weston Town itself. One woman from Cheddar only found out from Twitter this morning that her weekly ticket has gone up from ^18 to ^25 overnight. At least she knows in advance though - I can see tomorrow morning being a tough one for bus drivers and passengers alike.

In fact the changes to areas of ticket validity on the Weston border would make an interesting follow-up to grahame's blog post at http://www.wellho.net/mouth/4257_Over-a-pound-a-kilometre-my-bus-in-Weston-super-mare.html

Note the reply from an expert that he tacked on to the end? Interestingly, both of the workarounds suggested are longer possible as a result of the changes, leaving the ^7.50 return fare (remember "buses of Somerset" will still offer returns) he was charged as the only option.

Indeed, this affects me directly as I enjoy using my First Month South West ticket to travel to Burnham for the day. However, my monthly pass will no longer be valid to Burnham, so I will also have to face buying a similarly expensive "buses of Somerset" return ticket add-on from either Weston or Bridgwater.

You may recall that "buses of Somerset" underwent their own fare restructure in April 2014, which you may or may not consider "fairer" than what the West of England are getting. Quote from http://www.busesofsomerset.co.uk/news.shtml

Quote from: buses of Somerset
This Sunday 13 April we're simplifying our fares, and at the same time cutting the price of many tickets.

We're cutting the cost of a week's unlimited travel from ^25 to just ^15, and the cost of a month's unlimited travel from ^100 to just ^55. Both weekly and monthly tickets are also now sold on board our buses.

We've also simplified our single fares into four easy to remember fares...

^2, ^3, ^4 and ^5

...with better value return fares that are now one-and-a-half times the single fare...

^2 single - ^3 return
^3 single - ^4.50 return
^4 single - ^6 return
^5 single - ^7.50 return

Return tickets are also now valid for up to 5 days - so you can make a journey one way one day, and complete the return journey up to four days later.

We've adjusted some of our return fares down to make them better value for money too.

If you're aged between 5 and 16 all our tickets are now available for half price.

Interestingly, a Taunton or Bridgwater flat fare ticket can be used on a combination of routes if the journey involves a change of buses and is wholly within the Taunton or Bridgwater town zone, which will not be the case in Bath or Weston.

Finally, you will note that, at the bottom right-hand corner of every page of the "buses of Somerset" website, the First logo and the wording "we're part of First" has been added, which at least proves that they read the Coffee Shop Forum!

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 08:06:08 »

Some ticket machines are protesting against the new software update and still charging the old fares, apparently. First Bus report that they are working as fast as they can to resolve this.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 08:06:10 »

Labour activists call Radstock public meeting over fare changes for Friday 11 July 2014 (1930 at Methodist Church) - http://www.somersetguardian.co.uk/Debate-bus-fare-rises/story-21321849-detail/story.html

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 09:15:40 »

Labour activists call Radstock public meeting over fare changes for Friday 11 July 2014 (1930 at Methodist Church) - http://www.somersetguardian.co.uk/Debate-bus-fare-rises/story-21321849-detail/story.html

Radstock town councillor Chris Dando, said the response to the First's consultation earlier this year was only 1,800 people and, a series of roadshows on the issue did not include the Somer Valley area.

In the election at which Chris Dando was elected as a councillor, only 736 ballot papers were issues.  There are 4 councillors for the parish/area he represents (so that's max 4 votes each voter). 2204 votes cast, he got 19% so that's about 420 votes from an electorate of 1725

http://democracy.bathnes.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?XXR=0&ID=280&RPID=7667451

Proportionately, 1,800 responses isn't high but there was certainly considerable effort put in to getting responses, including in the areas outside Bath (I am not grumbling about not being consulted in Melksham).  And there has been a lot of analysis and reading and thinking about the inputs; I have heard / see some of that.   Whether those inputs have been used to provide what the majority of customers want, or to help establish the most acceptable way to remain as profitable as possible, could be open to question.  There has been such confusion over the last 10 days as to how the fare principles are applied in practise that I have to wonder, and indeed short term confusion could be an excellent way to take the fire off the criticism of some price rises which will have a much more significant long term effect.  Please excuse a cynical comment there!

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 11:43:14 »

Some ticket machines are protesting against the new software update and still charging the old fares, apparently. First Bus report that they are working as fast as they can to resolve this.

Happened to me on the 38 home last night.  Driver and machine tried to charge me ^2.50, not ^2.20.  Driver appeared poorly briefed on the new fares and wouldn't accept ^2.20.   Rather than argue, I got off the bus and boarded the A4 airport bus that had pulled up behind (which only charges ^2.00 for my journey anyway) leaving a queue of other people to argue the toss with the driver.  Problem was that the First bus was parked such that the A4 was stuck behind it (not completely the driver's fault - the poor road layout is also a factor here).  Eventually the driver of the A4 got out and joined in the argument.  don;t know what the outcome was in the end but we eventually left 15 minutes late.

The driver of the 38 could have shown better customer service skills. but I have some sympathy for him.  What is really inexcusable of First is that the bus appears to have been allowed to leave the bus station moments earlier without a correctly programmed tricket machine and without the driver having been told that he had an incorrect machine. 

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 15:20:16 »

Happened to me on the 38 home last night.  Driver and machine tried to charge me ^2.50, not ^2.20.  Driver appeared poorly briefed on the new fares and wouldn't accept ^2.20.   Rather than argue, I got off the bus and boarded the A4 airport bus that had pulled up behind (which only charges ^2.00 for my journey anyway) leaving a queue of other people to argue the toss with the driver.  Problem was that the First bus was parked such that the A4 was stuck behind it (not completely the driver's fault - the poor road layout is also a factor here).  Eventually the driver of the A4 got out and joined in the argument.  don;t know what the outcome was in the end but we eventually left 15 minutes late.

The driver of the 38 could have shown better customer service skills. but I have some sympathy for him.  What is really inexcusable of First is that the bus appears to have been allowed to leave the bus station moments earlier without a correctly programmed tricket machine and without the driver having been told that he had an incorrect machine. 

Tim / Lee ... an answer from the Regional Customer Services Manager - South West & Wales, First Bus - who I know, and alerted to this thread ...

Hi Graham,

Thanks for letting me know. If you could post an answer asking them to contact us via email at contactwestofengland@firstgroup.com, that would be great.

In the meantime, I'll get the operational team to look into this.

Kind regards,

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 18:20:30 »

I'm currently sitting on a service 231 bus from Chippenham to Bath, where everybody is travelling for free due to a "broken ticket machine" - which is probably the Fairest set of Fares that First Bus West of England have issued since Saturday evening!  Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: