27/04/24 12:49 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
27/04/24 14:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 01:57:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: First Bus service changes in and around Bath, Wiltshire & Somerset  (Read 20224 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 07:50:00 »

Mind you, there is always the danger of misinformation in situations like this. One woman on the bus this morning was telling anyone who would listen that "it's the (unnamed) council's decision" and "once the council makes its mind up, it won't back down". I did briefly try and debate this point with her, but you know what it's like when you come across someone who is convinced they're right, and just isn't listening...

Let us hope that she didn't get that from First Bus Customer Services, eh?

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 08:44:55 »

Mind you, there is always the danger of misinformation in situations like this. One woman on the bus this morning was telling anyone who would listen that "it's the (unnamed) council's decision" and "once the council makes its mind up, it won't back down". I did briefly try and debate this point with her, but you know what it's like when you come across someone who is convinced they're right, and just isn't listening...

Let us hope that she didn't get that from First Bus Customer Services, eh?

There is indeed a rumour around that First Bus offered Wiltshire Council lower fares in exchange for a subsidy of some sort, and that prices have gone up because Wiltshire Council refused to play ball.

As I understand it, service 271 is already a contracted / subsidised service, as are evening buses on route 234, and my understanding of the new fare structure is that ticket costs on these subsidised services are the same as ticket costs on the parallel (272 / daytime 234) services.

First Bus are perfectly free to have made such an offer - nothing illegal in them doing so if they did.   Very naughty (in my view), however, as I think that for Wiltshire Council to have accepted without going out for contract on the services would have been breaking the rules, even if they had been tempted.   I have no way of knowing if the rumour is true ... of course, if someone at First Bus has been telling customers about such an offer ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 15:50:12 »

A very swift, and very comprehensive denial:

Quote from: Wiltshire Council
No truth in it whatsoever.

By law we cannot subsidise fares on commercial bus services.  No conversation has been held with First on this matter.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 19:50:49 »

I'm probably going to Radstock tomorrow evening to observe a meeting at the Methodist Hall there that starts at 19:30, so ideally I would arrive at around 19:00 and leave back at 21:30

First Bus do a 16:25 Melksham (my starting point) to Bath service on route 272, getting to Bath at 17:18, and then I can see an onward bus at 18:15 on route 173 to Radstock getting there at 18:44

Returning, as far as I can see the last First (!!) bus into Bath is a 178 at 20:59, getting there at 21:25 and in exceedingly good time for the 23:20 bus (route 271) to Melksham, arriving back at 00:05

There's a Wessex Connect service 178 at 21:33, and another at 22:33, getting to Bath at 21:56 and 22:56, both of which connect with the Melksham bus.

Questions

a) For the initial routing, I think I just need a 7.00 Freedom of West of England ticket.  Or do I need to buy something extra because I'm finishing my journey early next morning?

b) What fare / ticket do I need if use the Wessex Connect 178 - as it's a council subsidised service, does my First Freedom ticket let me use it? (Asking that because I know that Faresaver returns are valid on SUBSIDISED competing services on the same route from Bath to Wiltshire).

c) Travelline http://www.travelinesw.com , Transport Direct http://www.transportdirect.info and Connecting Wiltshire http://www.connectingwiltshire.co.uk all offer me a variety of alternatives to the above, offering me quicker routes but ones which I think are going to be much more expensive.   How do I get these sites to give me prices, and to optimise my journey by price? 

d) Am I the only one who wants to know prices as well as times when I choose my bus travel route?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 22:26:43 »

d) Am I the only one who wants to know prices as well as times when I choose my bus travel route?

First and only person in the history of bus travel ever, judging by the near universal lack of provision of pricing information across the board...
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 22:35:13 »

The only ticketing information I can find is that of "Rover" tickets.

I was shocked a return from Redruth to Falmouth is ^7.50, a journey of 8-9 miles each way.

A Cornwall Day ticket is ^10 which is valid the whole of Cornwall all day.

No wonder they hide their ticket prices.

The best value ticket I found was the Cymru Clipper Day ticket at ^5, which was incredible value to get me from Porthcawl to Cardiff and back recently.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 07:32:51 »

Noticeable emptying of First buses reported since new fare structure came into effect, particularly on routes such as 231 and 234 where alternatives exist. Faresaver are an obvious beneficiary, see news release on their continued issuing of return tickets - http://www.faresaver.co.uk/newsitem.php?i=9462622

Also noticeable is a "blind eye" approach being adopted by a number of First Bus drivers to over-travelling. For example Chippenham town centre-Valley Road/Furzehill in Corsham is ^3.50 adult single, but to Kings Avenue or Newlands Road is only ^2.50 - passengers have a natural habit of asking for "Corsham", leading to them getting charged the lower fare and being allowed to end their journey in the next section.

One bus driver last night on the 234 took it a step further, specifically advising passengers from Melksham to ask for Rowden Hill and then stay on the bus until Chippenham Bus Station, which would reduce their single fare from ^3.50 to ^2.50.

I should end by saying that my driver on the 231 this morning is asking everyone exactly where they are going, and charging accordingly - a perfectly proper approach.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 10:08:55 »

I've just called First's enquiry line to check on point (a) and enquired about travelling back into tomorrow morning. Initially I was told that I needed to buy another ticket, but when I expressed unhappiness at that I was told my West of England day ticket should be OK until 2 or possibly 4 a.m.   On asking where that information's available on line, I was told that it probably isn't - it's in the driver's manual ... great fun trying to work out terms and conditions on tickets when only the company and its staff have access to them, and even the customer enquiry team is unsure.   Makes train fares look easy!

As an aside discussion, it was confirmed that the senior bus passes are not valid on the last Bath to Melksham bus - "that's nothing to do with us - it's a council decision".   Love the buck-passing game!

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 17:56:42 »

I've just called First's enquiry line to check on point (a) and enquired about travelling back into tomorrow morning. Initially I was told that I needed to buy another ticket, but when I expressed unhappiness at that I was told my West of England day ticket should be OK until 2 or possibly 4 a.m.   On asking where that information's available on line, I was told that it probably isn't - it's in the driver's manual ... great fun trying to work out terms and conditions on tickets when only the company and its staff have access to them, and even the customer enquiry team is unsure.   Makes train fares look easy!

As an aside discussion, it was confirmed that the senior bus passes are not valid on the last Bath to Melksham bus - "that's nothing to do with us - it's a council decision".   Love the buck-passing game!

Online it states the day ticket is valid until midnight.

T+Cs not in public availability would constitute an unfair contract from a legal point of view

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 19:26:54 »

Ah ... do you have a link to that?

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 20:46:46 »

Ah ... do you have a link to that?

I have clicked on various conditions of carriage and its opens PDF, which I don't know how to link. Here is a copy and paste of the T+Cs I can find. Spot the conflicting T+Cs here:
Terms and Conditions
FirstDay tickets are valid until midnight on the day of purchase.
FirstDayOut and Half-Fare MetroDay are only available to young people aged 11-18 on production of a valid Young Person's or Scholar's photocard. You must show your photocard when you buy and use your ticket. Children aged under 11 do not need a photocard.
When using FirstDay Family & Friends all customers travelling on the same ticket must board the bus together
Not valid on event or other special services.

Information correct at Sunday 27 April 2014.

But further on in the T+Cs a little bit of conflicting information

5. Tickets   5.01  Tickets may be used on until the end of service on the day of issue only but no later than 4am on the following day after issue. Return journeys may be excluded on certain journeys or routes where specified.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 08:19:37 »

Good journey out ... I hadn't checked the secondary Bath to Radstock route (184) and got a good connection so time to look around. 

Answer to (b) ...

Wessex Connect's contract with BaNES requires them to accept the return half of First's returns on their evening subsidised 178 services.   But as there are now no return tickets from First, they are not required (and don't) accept the Freedom of West of England ticket which you have to buy in place of a return.   Some unhappy chap pies about that little gem!

Meeting was http://www.todd4nesomerset.com/bus_meeting1

Report on my trip at http://www.wellho.net/mouth/4286_Reaction-in-Radstock-to-new-First-bus-prices.html

Technical comments from meeting in "Frequent Posters" at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=14250.0 (some meeting comments that I've reported are - err - questionable so it's not in public)

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 11:29:24 »

Labour activists call Radstock public meeting over fare changes for Friday 11 July 2014 (1930 at Methodist Church) - http://www.somersetguardian.co.uk/Debate-bus-fare-rises/story-21321849-detail/story.html

grahame went to the Radstock meeting last night - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=14243.msg157228#msg157228

There is also a petition someone has set up calling for return tickets to be reinstated - http://busreturns.epetitions.net/

Any chance of a merge of the public (as opposed to the Frequent Poster) topic threads?

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 14:23:18 »

Thanks for the suggestion, Lee: now done.  Wink

I've retained the original headings in the individual posts, purely in the interests of complete clarity.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 17:44:13 »

First Bus Android phone app does give the single fare for your journey in the planner (and now that's all you need!) but I can't find anything similar on the desktop site.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: