Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:29:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW v National Express Reading to Plymouth  (Read 4627 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2014, 08:42:14 »

Hi - I posted recently in another thread that due to the continued problems at Dawlish I was going to break the habit of a lifetime and give the Nat Express coach a go to get  me back to Plymouth for a few days. Having returned yesterday I thought I would give my thoughts on the comparison, based on 1st class advance fares on the train & the fare that I actually paid on the coach (which wasn't the cheapest available), and the trains I usually use.

Fare: Train (Reading BR (British Rail(ways)) to Plymouth BR) - approx ^100 First class advance
         Coach (Reading Calcot to Plymouth Bretonside) - ^46

Duration: Train 2hrs 52mins
               Coach 3 hrs 45 mins

Facilities: Train - buffet, at seat tea/coffee service, newspapers
               Coach - nothing, one 15 min comfort break at motorway service station each way.

Comfort: Train - reserved, large comfy seat in 1st class.
              Coach - similar seat to Standard rail seat but more leg room.....no reservation but   guaranteed seat.

Ambience: I felt knackered after sitting on a coach for almost 4 hours, whereas the train is much more relaxing. The coach was bang on time both ways though and talking to others they are generally very reliable........was sitting near the front and could hear the drivers moaning constantly to each other both ways, and the coach was a bit stuffy.

Overall - I'd say it's pretty much honours even - although having now experienced both I would choose the train I think, the cost of the coach is its obvious advantage and I could have saved more if I'd booked a more restricted ticket.......whether the advantages of the train I have listed above justify charging over twice as much is another point for discussion, although of course the standard class fare may have been a better comparison in this respect.

I'd be interested in anyone else's thoughts/experiences along these lines?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 20:20:06 »

How does standard class compare to the coach.

Reading your report FGW (First Great Western) 1st class vs Nat Ex coach isn't a fair comparison.

I would be interested to see how it compares to standard class.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 21:09:06 »

Hi - I posted recently in another thread that due to the continued problems at Dawlish I was going to break the habit of a lifetime and give the Nat Express coach a go to get  me back to Plymouth for a few days. Having returned yesterday I thought I would give my thoughts on the comparison, based on 1st class advance fares on the train & the fare that I actually paid on the coach (which wasn't the cheapest available), and the trains I usually use.

Fare: Train (Reading BR (British Rail(ways)) to Plymouth BR) - approx ^100 First class advance
         Coach (Reading Calcot to Plymouth Bretonside) - ^46

Duration: Train 2hrs 52mins
               Coach 3 hrs 45 mins

Facilities: Train - buffet, at seat tea/coffee service, newspapers
               Coach - nothing, one 15 min comfort break at motorway service station each way.

Comfort: Train - reserved, large comfy seat in 1st class.
              Coach - similar seat to Standard rail seat but more leg room.....no reservation but   guaranteed seat.

Ambience: I felt knackered after sitting on a coach for almost 4 hours, whereas the train is much more relaxing. The coach was bang on time both ways though and talking to others they are generally very reliable........was sitting near the front and could hear the drivers moaning constantly to each other both ways, and the coach was a bit stuffy.

Overall - I'd say it's pretty much honours even - although having now experienced both I would choose the train I think, the cost of the coach is its obvious advantage and I could have saved more if I'd booked a more restricted ticket.......whether the advantages of the train I have listed above justify charging over twice as much is another point for discussion, although of course the standard class fare may have been a better comparison in this respect.

I'd be interested in anyone else's thoughts/experiences along these lines?

I think I'd go for the train every time, with a good look online to see whether I could get the ticket any cheaper (Not that I'm any good at that; I'd probably just ask the timetable guru, grahame!)  Trains are the only mode of transport I can use without suffering travel sickness, so that would always get me on the railway.  Have you done a CO2 comparison?  That would be another consideration from my point of view.

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 12:21:39 »

Reading your report FGW (First Great Western) 1st class vs Nat Ex coach isn't a fair comparison.

I would be interested to see how it compares to standard class.

Thanks to TaplowGreen for his comparison - it's many years since I've undertaken such a lengthy journey by coach.

Fares wise in Standard Class, a Super Off-Peak return is ^59.20, Off-Peak return is ^74.00, Anytime return is ^177.60.  Singles available at ^88.90 for Anytime, ^33.30 Super Off-Peak, and finally advance singles available from ^24.40 (at least, that's the cheapest I could find), and that compares with the cheapest advance fare on the coach I could find at ^14.70. 

So, Off-Peak and advance fares compare pretty well considering the superior and much more frequent service, but as usual the Anytime fare is very expensive, but I don't think the difference is as much as on some other fare flows.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 19:14:15 »

The one advantage coaches have over the train is that your luggage is stowed safely in the hold. Otherwise, no thanks.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 19:25:08 »

I don't know how busy the train is on this route but one advantage the coach will have is that everyone gets a seat.

(Might not be an advantage if you can't get on though)
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 19:52:56 »

To be fair, the coaches offer a 'safe' environment for elderly passengers, with a friendly driver, help with luggage etc - I understand that many old folk find trains rather impersonal and somewhat confusing (correct platform, having to change etc).

Also super-cheap fares for students: Megabus start from 90p!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 23:34:50 »

To be fair, the coaches offer a 'safe' environment for elderly passengers, with a friendly driver, help with luggage etc - I understand that many old folk find trains rather impersonal and somewhat confusing (correct platform, having to change etc).

Also super-cheap fares for students: Megabus start from 90p!

I was planning Redruth to London and back, with my nus discount card, it came to ^1.80 return in February. I had to abandon my plans due to other commitments, but I couldn't believe 90p each way!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: