14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:01:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoration, Holt to Devizes?  (Read 5314 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 13, 2016, 05:59:09 »

Reinstating the Devizes railway line - North section; video by Matthew James Clark

https://youtu.be/dYWpMHQjEtI

Edit note: Video maker's surname corrected, in the interests of accuracy (and not upsetting anyone).  Lips sealed
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 22:07:50 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 22:07:32 »

Thanks for posting that fascinating item, grahame.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:18:58 »

Thanks for posting that fascinating item, grahame.  Wink

"Fascinating" is a good word.  I would suggest a railway reopening to Devizes (town) isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future, but perhaps there are things we can't foresee that will happen - in fact we've been guilty in places of building on trackbeds when we couldn't foresee possible re-openings that are now feasible and indeed (?) may have happened.   And the "Save the Train" campaign started when no-one outside the users of the corridor of the line foresaw any prospect of a decent service.

Some of Matthew's ideas are good - his suggested Fish Bridge (A361) solution, for example.  His re-routing of the section on the outskirts of Devizes to a new alignment to the south puts it onto a substantial new embankment or viaduct due to the steep hillside; potentially better to bring the line in at a lower level, and have steps and / or a lift up from the platform to the old station site.  And, alas, as he admits his maps are a few years old and there has been at least one bridge dropped, and one removed, fairly recently. 

Would people want to travel the route?   The old name Devizes originated from the word "divided" - at the division point where people / governance head off in all directions on the cusp. I couldn't pick a single direction or flow and say "that's the main way" and indeed you have bus routes to Swindon, Chippenham, Bath, Trowbridge and Salisbury all being what I would style "interurban" or connectional at frequencies of hourly or two hourly, and a railway in one direction would only meet some of the undoubted travel desires.

Taking an (absurdly?) forward looking view, a Bristol Metro service in phase 5 extended to Bathampton, Limpley Stoke, Bradford-on-Avon, Holt, Bowerhill, Sells Green and Seend, and Devizes.   The people of Holt investigated a station in for their neighbourhood plan (decided against when realised that it would only be practical if they filled all the fields between the current settlement and the railway with housing designed for public transport rather than car use), Bowerhill station makes sense especially considering the large swathes of land there for industrial development and the upcoming homes on the "Melksham Link" and elsewhere.   Sells Green is one of the busiest stops on the National Express Coach, would you believe, and we get a noticeable Melksham Station traffic (leisure) from the camping and caravan park and canal there.  And Devizes itself can - for one of its divisions - be considered the end of the Bristol travel-to-work area.  I'll have to point out this video to certain local contacts who have done a more in-depth study ...

Where a re-opening of the line into Devizes is so far in the future that you'll struggle to even protect the corridor from further loss, a Berks and Hants station at "Devizes Parkway" looks much more sensible.   With Devizes growing so much, and being constrained from growth on the west due to that steep hill, much of the urban part of the town isn't in walking distance to the old station road site, and is creeping towards Lydeway anyway.   With semifast AT300 services passing through on the long run from Pewsey to Westbury, Devizes Parkway makes sense. Current timetables are inconsiderate of passengers from Bedwyn and Pewsey making for Trowbridge, Bath Spa and Bristol (timings, frequency of calls at Bedwyn / Pewsey AND Westbury for changes, random connection opportunities off those which do call at all) but there are real prospects here, at a tiny fraction of the cost of rebuilding the line to "Lower Devizes" and providing much more traffic onto other services that are planned and will be meeting other flows, sharing the operating costs.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 17:10:40 »

How nostalgic. I have never forgotten my journey from home in Bridgwater with a one-way ticket on 19 February 1959. I was met at Devizes station by an army Bedford truck that took me to the RAPC Training Centre at Devizes for my 2 year stint of National Service.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: