19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 17:42:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[82] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[31] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Advance fare increase with new timetable?  (Read 14039 times)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2014, 13:44:48 »

Can anyone shed any light on the apparent increase in ticket prices S.Wales > London which appears to be related to the new Summer timetable?

I've checked my usual weekly trip, booking with advance first tickets for the following journeys:

PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) > BGN 9th May d15.45 & BGN > PAD 12th May d8.01, total ticket price ^111.10

PAD > BGN 20th June d15.45 & BGN > PAD 23rd June d7.56, total ticket price ^212.80

Anyone know why there is such a huge difference in ticket prices? I've checked for various dates travelling at the same times and found a similar difference so I'm sure this can't be a simple supply & demand issue - the later journey is about as far in advance as tickets can be purchased so advance availability should be good & Standard class tickets have also jumped up for the same journeys, from ^80.60 to ^109.50. Prices are as of about 1pm today (10/4/2014).

Would be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this on other routes, if anyone has any information from FGW (First Great Western) about planned or sanctioned fare increases or if this is a result of the way in which advance tickets are released for sale.

title changed to reflect question more accurately
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 14:57:34 by chrisr_75 » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 13:52:55 »

Advance ticket prices aren't governed whatsoever & can be priced by the TOC (Train Operating Company) at whatever level they think will sell.

There are 3 dates that ordinary fares can rise - Jan 2, second Sunday in May (which tends to be the summer timetable change) and September 20/21. Advances however can rise at any time, but I think there's a cost implication if they want to load fares at other than those three dates.

FGW (First Great Western) do generally push up their Advance prices for the summer...
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 14:25:28 »

It seems odd as I have been doing that journey weekly since August 2012 and the advance prices (and passenger loadings) have been largely very stable in that period for the quoted trains, with a return advance first usually available for around ^100 if booked about 3-4 weeks in advance.

An increase on some advance tickets of nearly 100% for First and 40% in Standard frankly seems extortionate to me (even if they are freely able to do this without recourse to HM Gov or the regulator) and rather short sighted as I'm not sure it will help to fill seats. This in combination with the squeeze on 1st capacity & overall very average service means it's perhaps time to stop boosting FGW (First Great Western) shareholder dividends & start getting better value from my road fund licence...

Interestingly, for the journeys quoted above, as you eluded to, the cheapest walk up prices have remained the same - the new advance prices are now pretty much equal to walk up prices, +/- a few ^, except on the periphery of the timetable.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 14:40:48 »

Well, if everyone does as you allude to and takes to 4 wheels, they'll soon notice & drop them again....
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 15:57:34 »

It could well be related to the reduction of First Class accommodation. From what I understand from the new timetable reservations will only be possible based upon the new First Class provision of around 1.5 coaches. With less seats to sell I'd expect prices to go up.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 16:17:26 »

I had considered that, but that would not explain the concurrent close to 40% increase in standard advance fares - with an increase in the number standard seats, logic would tell you that a drop in prices should be seen?! I may fire off an email to someone towards the top of the food chain at FGW (First Great Western) to see if they can explain further as it is an immense percentage increase in these advance fares, especially when inflation is less than 2%...
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 16:27:58 »

It appears that the quoted fares are not "increases" but are the current higher-priced versions of advance fares. Presumably there is no quota for the cheaper advance fares on the dates queried.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 16:40:11 »

Their website is advertising Advance tickets are available up until 25 June....
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 16:41:51 »

Note too we have a regularly updated topic here on the Coffee Shop on advance tickets here.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 17:27:11 »

It appears that the quoted fares are not "increases" but are the current higher-priced versions of advance fares. Presumably there is no quota for the cheaper advance fares on the dates queried.

I agree, but my point is that these fares have largely been at a stable level for the last 18 months that I've been doing this trip each week, excluding an occasional peak here and there. PAX numbers appear to have also remained fairly steady also, although this is largely based on occupancy in Coach G.

However, there seems to have been a huge jump in fare prices from mid-May onwards in both standard & first regardless of travel day, with the exception of some trains at increasingly inconvenient times - the specific example provided was as it is my usual travel days & time.

I fail to see that there has been a sudden rise in demand from mid-May onwards that is sustained evenly throughout the timetable as far out as the last week in June, so my (rhetorical in this forum) question is what has happened to the quota of the cheaper off-peak advance fares that has in the past been consistently available on my chosen trains for the last 18 months up to about a week before travel date? In effect it seems this is some kind of increase by 'stealth'.

I plan to pose this question to FGW (First Great Western), but was interested to poll opinion here in case anyone else had noted similar issues on other journeys.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 17:42:07 »

From May there is the potential of fewer first class seats as sets are converted. That may be a reason.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 18:37:59 »

Advance prices aren't set in stone for any service...that'll be the answer you get.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 19:10:38 »

Well done there ChrisB for pre-empting FGW (First Great Western)'s response.  Roll Eyes

I hope their response is a bit more customer friendly than, "Like it or lump it."

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 20:22:09 »

While not the increases quoted here, I believe the 10% discount for buying advance fares on FGW (First Great Western).co.uk ends in May.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 20:59:26 »

I'd forgotten about the 10% on line discount ... until I went to the booking office to use some compensation vouchers I had!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: