Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
10:53 Swindon to Bristol Temple Meads
10:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
11:14 London Paddington to Oxford
11:25 Frome to Bristol Temple Meads
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 11:48:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[137] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[49] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[22] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[19] Cornish delays
[2] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend Traffic  (Read 36106 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 22:39:48 »

First record of over 100 journeys on a train where we haven't had Santa's help!

Out of interest, was that the standard issue 153?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 05:55:28 »

First record of over 100 journeys on a train where we haven't had Santa's help!

Out of interest, was that the standard issue 153?

Yes ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 18:47:51 »

16:47 at Melksham today ... 15 off, 4 on ... 20 (+- a couple) onward to Chippenham - 35/19

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 15:49:52 »

At Melksham today (Sunday, 31st August)
08:50 to Swindon. 16 on arrival. +2 -0 = 18/2
09:52 to Westbury. 60 on arrival -4 + 1 = 61/5
10:47 to Swindon. 11 on arrival -1 +4 = 15/5  [Then -6 + 15 at Chippenham]
12:06 to Westbury. 23 on arrival -16 + 5 = 28/21 [Previously -2 + 14 at Chippenham]

122 passengers over 4 trains = 30.5 passenger per train; on a continuing basis (if "all trains were like that") works out at 164,700 journeys per annum.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 16:48:37 »

16 off the 1206 seems surprisingly high. Any event on that might have been a contributory factor?

The 0952 appears nicely full, though on a sunny Sunday maybe could have expected more? With only 1 joining at Melksham, maybe the decision not to over-market the Weymouth opportunity could be reconsidered for next year?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 17:31:33 »

16 off the 1206 seems surprisingly high. Any event on that might have been a contributory factor?

Melksham Comicon is on this weekend ... next weekend is the river festival, then there was the food fayre and the carnival (that one brought higher numbers!) so, yes, an event but by no means the only weekend with such an event.

The 0952 appears nicely full, though on a sunny Sunday maybe could have expected more? With only 1 joining at Melksham, maybe the decision not to over-market the Weymouth opportunity could be reconsidered for next year?

I've been thinking that through.  In previous marketing times, the Weymouth trip (or the Santa) has really been the only product that's been joined up and right to market.   This year it's been just one of a whole host of things and I see people headed all over the place - not so much "hey, here's a chance of a one-off day out" but "this changes our lives on a repeated even if not frequent basis" and they're keeping the Weymouth trip back for a rainy day (perhaps a sunny day) when they have nothing else to do. So today and other leisure for Melksham folks it's so much about meeting family in Westbury, visiting son / daughter in Swindon and not having to be driven back, going to London to do a day's work.

I did note from a quick glance at the people in the train that there was probably a half to two-thirds of them doing a "bucket and spade" type trip, but that's all.  So the very limited marketing in Swindon, and wider marketing in Chippenham, has brought that about.

One of the questions that Claire Perry asked on Friday was in relation to how much of the traffic was regular [and by assumption how much may have been "just trying it"].   We have been concentration on the potentially regular, and indeed that's showing clearly in the metrics of the passengers.  Of course, a successful trial may be just for novelty value (and I think those numbers are low) or it may turn into a regular.   But there is far more scope for the classic "day out" marketing next year, even though it drinks essentially seasonal traffic.   Nice to have on top of the grounding in steady year-round traffic already being won!

Now .. today was the 16th or just 17 potential Sunday trips to Weymouth this summer.  And I jotted a few notes down.    The TransWilts train was cancelled on at least two occasions.   Two other Sundays were bustituted, even though we were promised in the spring that there would be no bus replacements this summer (fewer trains some days, mind) ... and indeed I've just learned from a sign at the station that trains become buses on 14th September; I do wish our partners would tell us if they had bad news like this.  On two Sundays, engineering works over-ran on the Heart of Wessex;  I tried out one of those Sundays with my Dad, and we turned back at Yeovil when we were waiting without seats for an inadequate supply of buses with no assurance there would be a train back.  And a couple of Sundays back the train was nearly 2.5 hours late into Weymouth, with everyone getting a good chance to get to know Yeovil Pen Mill, I understand.   So - seven out of the 15 trips so far completed have had significant problems, and perhaps I should be glad we haven't done a lot of marketing to sensitive customers (i.e. ones who won't come again if it goes belly up) this year.

60 people in a 153 (78 seats) would be fine ... and I'm not too ashamed of that marketing.   Perhaps a communication breakdown, but it's been turning up as a 2 car train for the past few weeks.  Bit late to press the "market harder" button, and I'm still not sure if that was by design or luck; rumour also has it that the 2 car unit has gone on to Weymouth attached to the train from Bristol.   Fabulous if so - let's find out if that's the weekly plan for next summer, let's find out when we have buses well ahead and, yes, we'll fill a 150 each time it runs, on fine days at least.   Oh - that's the other thing ... many of the 8 trips that have worked properly have been in awful weather - I just thank goodness we appreciate but don't rely on seaside traffic. 

For all of this text and explanation, remember that our loadings were way over the average needed this morning!  The next stage - already asked - is how to we maintain the traffic levels and indeed keep growing them, and where's the limit?   Actually, first limits have been hit ...

P.S. The Melksham traffic this morning ... a cycle, a skateboard, and everyone else on foot.   Except - sorry - me. I was popping up and down by car; the hotel is a 20 minute walk from the station, and home is 30 minutes.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2014, 17:43:31 »

and indeed I've just learned from a sign at the station that trains become buses on 14th September;

According to the FGW (First Great Western) website there are also buses the following Sunday (21st) until 15:30.

Meanwhile the weekday service is retimed between Monday and Thursday 6th to 9th October because West of England services are being diverted away from the stretch between Castle Cary and Cogload Junction near Taunton.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 18:04:19 »

Graham - I was conscious when posing the question that it may have been a blessing in disguise given some of the issues this year, although your response sets out the stark reality of how many weekends have enjoyed a combination of good weather and an undisrupted service. Disappointing really, but thankfully it doesn't detract from the terrific success that the service already is.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2014, 18:31:47 »

Graham - I was conscious when posing the question that it may have been a blessing in disguise given some of the issues this year, although your response sets out the stark reality of how many weekends have enjoyed a combination of good weather and an undisrupted service. Disappointing really, but thankfully it doesn't detract from the terrific success that the service already is.

I am delighted to have the opportunity to document it as it is and so we learn from there.   There are bound to be some service elements that do better than others ... it's when I'm talking to visitors to the town who wouldn't have a clue that I'm involved with the trains and when I ask how this year's event [Comicon] was / is, they single out the ease of getting here this year!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 22:21:33 »

19:53 from Swindon tonight ... report about 9 into Melksham ... 6 off, 5 on ... 14/11
Report from customers coming to stay with us ... may be a couple out.

Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2014, 00:24:06 »

Report for Saturday 13th September

1138 WSB» (Westbury - next trains)-SWI» (Swindon - next trains) 23  -3 +14 = 37 / 17

1746 SWI-WSB 35 -12 + 1 =36 / 13

Figures for on train before MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains), alighting MKM, boarding, = total on core route, total using MKM.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 21:17:09 »

Sunday, 28th September ... 20:30 arrival at Melksham from Swindon.

Six passengers got off, four got on, a quick walk alongside the train showed me 28 on board as it left - 34/10 ... which I'm thinking is rather a good number for the last Sunday train, especially after several weeks of bustitutions. I had a report of no fewer than 20 on a bus from Trowbridge to Melksham at around 18:15 last Sunday; truly more than I would have guessed for a bus, knowing just how the traffic has evaporated in the past when steel wheels get replaced by rubber ones.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2014, 20:32:13 »

Well - end of week as well as weekend!

07:20 on Thursday -5 +10 -> 49 54/15
19:18 on Friday -8 +4 -> 37  45/12
07:48 on Saturday -3 +10 -> 28 31/13
19:02 on Saturday -8 +3 -> 7 15/11

19:00 ex WSB» (Westbury - next trains) at CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) on Friday arrived with 15 passengers / 6 off + 2 on
08:48 ex WSB at CPM on Saturday arrived with about 30 passengers (hard to count - 3 car!)

On the 07:48 this morning ... interesting range of destinations including Bromsgrove (and that was using the Birmingham derogation), Walsall and Taunton (me).   Whenever I end up chatting with people I find an incredible range of places!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2014, 21:35:35 »

Whenever I end up chatting with people I find an incredible range of places!

Whenever I end up chatting with grahame I find an incredible list of action points.  Roll Eyes

Absolutely no problem, grahame: I really find it incredible that you are so active for apparently some 20 hours out of the 24!  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2014, 17:54:36 »

A couple of highlights there, most notably the 1918 southbound. Back in Dec there were between 10 and 20, that had risen to around 30 in April and now we see 41 north of Melksham. It shows the value of the shoulder peak service.

The Sat 0748 northbound is another "best seen", by a long way. I wonder if saturday commuters, maybe working in retail in Swindon is part of the driver for the increase.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: