Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
Delayed
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
11:37 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:24 Exmouth to Paignton
14:57 Exmouth to Paignton
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 16:03:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[152] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[28] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[12] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[11] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend Traffic  (Read 36109 times)
NickF
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2015, 20:34:16 »

0915 today from Melksham (Good Friday), 2 on, 0 off, approx 20 already on board: 22/2?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2015, 10:52:39 »

Frankly, it's getting hard to do an accurate count.   This is the 09:48 at Melksham to Swindon.  4 got off, between 35 and 40 got on and the train left with every seat taken and (I counted) 25 standing that I could see. Realistic estimate for stats - 109/42

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2015, 17:47:22 »

"You need a bigger train."

Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2015, 18:18:02 »

"You need a bigger train."

Wink Cheesy Grin

We do indeed ... 18:02 to Westbury arrived with rather a lot of people on board this evening, 38 got off, 4 got on and gawd knows how many remained on ...  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
NickF
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2015, 20:28:05 »

Although I am delighted to see it, the 0948 may have been a little busier than normal as Swindon Town had a key game today with a 1215pm kick off rather than the usual 3pm.  I am not sure what the STFC fan base numbers in Melksham would be.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2015, 20:39:27 »

Although I am delighted to see it, the 0948 may have been a little busier than normal as Swindon Town had a key game today with a 1215pm kick off rather than the usual 3pm.  I am not sure what the STFC fan base numbers in Melksham would be.

What's  "Normal"?   Yes, lots of Swindon Town fans, but not really (m)any more than for a normal Saturday home game.  They're mostly a regular crowd who go to the matches by train.

NickF
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2015, 21:07:02 »

I've managed to encourage a friend who lives in Melksham who normally drives to the Swindon Town matches to use the service recently as he has had a spot or two of 'car trouble', so thats +1.  He normally gets the 1148 or 1329
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2015, 18:44:31 »

I was down at Melksham Station this morning - seeing a fair old number of passengers headed for Swindon.

This will really please them!

18:10 Swindon to Westbury due 18:52
This train will be delayed between Chippenham and Trowbridge and is expected to be 7 minutes late.
This train will be diverted between Chippenham and Trowbridge.
This train will no longer call at Melksham.
This is due to congestion caused by earlier delays.

At least Swindon Town were playing away - had it been a home game, there would have been over 100 people on that 153, with around a third of them form Melksham!

John R

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2015, 19:05:17 »

Slightly curious that two freights from Swindon to Hinksey and Goring have run along the branch at roughly the same time as the 1810 ex Swindon should have done. I presume at least one of them is engineering related. I guess reversing that at Bathampton Jn isn't possible because of the need to run around.

It appears the branch is under a lot of pressure today with diverted services including South Wales to London services, with not enough margin so once delays begin they continue. Now if only there was a passing loop or at least the ability to hold something clear of the main line.  A service from Swindon to Bristol has been in a queue at Chippenham for 25 mins waiting for the line to clear ahead.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2015, 19:16:51 »

I passed up and down the branch twice today on diverted HSTs (High Speed Train).

The trip to London (which used the branch in the down direction) passed without incident.

Coming back we crawled from just after Newbury to Bedwyn following a stopping train - but it seems that was built into the timetable.  However we were held at Bradford Junction for a few minutes waiting for another HST to come off the single line.  There was also another HST held on the approach to Westbury to allow us to cross and take the branch.

However it seems there are some very tight timings and it doesn't take much for delays to build up.

(Oh and the information screen was out of order at Melksham both times when I went through)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2015, 19:53:49 »

I passed up and down the branch twice today on diverted HSTs (High Speed Train).

Oh good - did you get a passenger count  Grin Grin

(Oh and the information screen was out of order at Melksham both times when I went through)

It has a very poor record indeed at present.  "Pease wait while the system restarts" it says .. for days on end. Fortunately, no-one does wait  Undecided

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2015, 20:02:39 »

Oh good - did you get a passenger count  Grin Grin

I did notice several cars in the car park with people sitting in them when I passed at around 11:20.  I was slightly more concerned with two Americans I met on the train who were going from London to Cardiff and a "friend" had bought them both First Anytime singles - when an off peak standard with a weekend first upgrade would have saved them ^125 each.  The train manager did take time to explain to them what to do if there was a "next time".
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 21:08:01 by bobm » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2015, 21:02:37 »

Slightly curious that two freights from Swindon to Hinksey and Goring have run along the branch at roughly the same time as the 1810 ex Swindon should have done. I presume at least one of them is engineering related. I guess reversing that at Bathampton Jn isn't possible because of the need to run around.

I run a customer serving business, and if any of our team prioritise ourselves and our needs over our customers, it's a pretty poor show.  With Network Rail controlling the signals and probably responsible for the wrong trains in the wrong place at the same time, that feels like a similar poor show - especially as they had already pushed the 17:36 back to 18:10.  However, I guess there's a differences that make my analogy a poor one.

It appears the branch is under a lot of pressure today with diverted services including South Wales to London services, with not enough margin so once delays begin they continue. Now if only there was a passing loop or at least the ability to hold something clear of the main line.  A service from Swindon to Bristol has been in a queue at Chippenham for 25 mins waiting for the line to clear ahead.

{like} ... we really could do with something more robust than we had in the early 1980s when there were just six passenger trains each way per year.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: