11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Newbury to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 12:50:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[53] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[40] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[34] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Who to contact re dangerous Station Approach.  (Read 8863 times)
MalBW

View Profile Email
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:55:50 »

Hi All

I am hoping someone here may be able to help me as Great Western themselves cannot even be bothered to respond to Emails.

The approach road to my local station has a 20 - 30 metre stretch that has between 25 and 40 potholes, ranging from 1cm to 5cm deep.

Due to vehicles parking on one side of the road it is impossible to use that stretch of road ( which is a 2 way through / access road) without passing over this section and hanging on to the steering death.  It is probably the worse section of highway I have seen for some time.

Not only is it causing damage to vehicles but cyclists are at risk, especially in the dark, and I have witnessed pedestrians tripping and falling there on a number of occasions.

Network Rail have confirmed this is the responsibility of First Great Western and not the local Highways, but having sent 3 emails to them in the past 5 weeks and not had a response I am beginning to wonder if First Great Western actually give a monkeys about public safety on this access road.

Any information would be much appreciated.
MalBW

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 11:57:03 »

Sorry should have read "hanging on to the steering wheel for grim death"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:20:22 »

Hi All

The approach road to my local station

Hi, Welcome to the forum.  I do read that Network Rail have pointed you to FGW (First Great Western) ... but sometimes we find that things get pointed onward to others.   If you can tell us which station, we may be able to give a better reply and there's a slim chance we might even know some 'history'.   My own local station - Melksham - for example has a local council station approach and we know exactly where the boundary to Network Rail owned and FGW managed station land is, and then where it becomes Network Rail who look after things themselves.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
MalBW

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 13:27:06 »

Hi,  It;s Bridgwater Station.  I did speak with Network Rail initially who were very helpful and after checking their records told me this was FGWs (First Great Western) responsibility.

I know historically from locals that "The Railway" has always been responsible. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 14:22:27 »

I know one particular member who may have been involved in some stuff at Bridgwater ... though he's not around at the moment. 

I know historically from locals that "The Railway" has always been responsible.

That's a useful indicator, but not proof.   A lot of lots (!) of land were deemed surplus to rail requirements when British Rail was being broken up, and over following years most of them were sold.  At least one to my knowledge has been brought back into railway use on the "road side" of the station.  Those that were not sold were transferred - very recently to (I think) the Highways Agency. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 23:07:30 »

MalBW. Have you tried the local press? Perhaps forward some photographs of the potholes to the Bridgwater Mercury or Somerset County Gazette, along with your concerns, and see if they can't shame the landholder into fixing them. If they're not willing to print an article there's always the letters page.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:38:34 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
MalBW

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:25:44 »

That is my next move.  In my last email to them ( which I also copied to my useless local MP (Member of Parliament) who has not responded), I informed them that if they did not have the common courtesy to respond at least, I would contact the local press.  I really wanted to establish before I did that they were definitley responsible, rather than have them say to the contrary.

Somerset Highways have confirmed it is not theirs and so have Network Rail but as pointed out earlier in the thread, that may just be passing the buck.

I'm tempted to put a sign up on the approach road advising folk to check their suspension and send any repair bills to FGW (First Great Western).  There are a "team" of workers tarting up the station frontage at the moment, I was going to ask them but I suspect they are just contractors.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 12:29:00 »

Who have you e-mailed at FGW (First Great Western), MalBW?   Have you been in touch with the Station Manager?
MalBW

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 14:54:34 »

I emailed the support email which is the only one I could find.  Never thought about the Station Manager, that would be worth a try.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 16:49:37 »

As I recall, FGW (First Great Western) is responsible for overall maintenance and safety of the station but, as the lessor of the station, NR» (Network Rail - home page) is responsible for maintenance of the fabric and repair of any faults reported to them by FGW!

The way it works is that the Station Manager reports the fault to the FGW property department, which decides if it is a fault that should be repaired by its own contractor or one which is covered by NR, and passes on the fault report as appropriate. A road with pot holes would definitely be referred to NR, which would send out an engineer to inspect it. There are various response levels, and this would probably be categorised at the lowest level.

If the engineer decides it should be fixed (and, from experience, there is no certainty that a fault such as this will be regarded as serious enough to require repair), then it will be scheduled for repair, again, according to the priority assigned to it by the engineer. It can take weeks or months for the repair to take place.

Anyway, as you emailed Customer Services, they will have contacted the station manager and asked for a reply. The Station Manager will have reported the fault, if it had not already been reported, and will be working through Property Department to chase NR for a fix. This can be time consuming. When the Station Manager knows the position (and that might only be decided after some "debate"), he/she will advise customer services who will respond to you. Customer services will also chase the Station Manager if they do not get a reply within in a set period.

So, providing you have received an email acknowledgement from customer services, the process should be in motion. If you haven't, try calling them.
MalBW

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 19:46:28 »

I have'nt had a response or acknowledgment from any of my emails.  I did try ringing but after being on hold for 27 minutes lost the will to live to be honest.

I think I will go in and see if I can get any sense from the station manager on Monday.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 20:10:07 »

You'll be unlikely to find the Station Manager at Bridgwater. He or she will be responsible for a number of stations on that line. For Bridgwater I believe the Station Manager is based in Weston-super-Mare.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 01:13:29 »

I have'nt had a response or acknowledgment from any of my emails.  I did try ringing but after being on hold for 27 minutes lost the will to live to be honest.

I think I will go in and see if I can get any sense from the station manager on Monday.

The Station Manager is, I believe, the North Somerset one and is based at Temple Meads.  The station staff at Bridgwater should be able to give you his contact details.  If there is a problem, one of the moderators here, Chris from Nailsea, should be able to help too as the SM is the same for both stations.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 01:19:08 »

Their details should be on the Welcome board outside the station.
MalBW

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 09:59:42 »

Excellent - many thanks for the info
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: