17:05 London Paddington to Newbury
17:07 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
17:15 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
17:20 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 15:15 Plymouth to Penzance
15:38 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
15:55 Plymouth to Penzance
16:06 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
16:08 London Paddington to Newbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 15:33:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[130] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[94] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[60] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[39] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[23] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: When will you sit, and when do you stand even if a seat is available?  (Voting closed: May 04, 2014, 08:02:06)
I will sit beside someone in a pair of seats - 54 (25.7%)
I will sit in the middle of a group of three - 29 (13.8%)
I will ask someone to move their bag so I can sit down - 58 (27.6%)
I will ask someone to move their under-5 child so I can sit down - 7 (3.3%)
I will sometimes wait for a later train so that I can be seated - 24 (11.4%)
I will sometimes stand even if there are seats unoccupied - 38 (18.1%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seating habits  (Read 10994 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 12:56:41 »

Conversely, I can understand someone sitting in (my) reserved seat if there aren't (m)any seats available, if the train is (near) empty, why anyone would *choose* to sit an an obviously-reserved seat is beyond me - hence I *always* ask them to relocate in these circumstances. Sorry, but why sit there when there are plenty of *unreserved* seats is beyond me....and serves you right to having to move, frankly.

Quote from: thetrout link=topic=13931.msg153490#msg153490
No reservation flags on the seat or anything.

TM(resolve) agreed with me and told the suit to go away and sit somewhere else. Suit was not happy...

Roll Eyes

What I was getting at is if a seat is NOT marked as reserved and mid journey someone tries to eject you from the seat as per my case above.

If I see a seat is reserved I'm not going to sit in it! If I did for whatever reason I would expect to have to move and would do so.

I may have a good eye for pedancy and detail but I'm not a mind reader for knowing which seats are reserved but not marked as such... Roll Eyes Embarrassed

Maybe I'm being naive. But if the seat is not marked as reserved and someone asks you to move mid journey when there are plenty of available seats (I'm suggesting like 90% of the carriage for First Class) that to me just seems far too precious and defies common sense!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 13:28:28 »

Indeed. And then there is the minor point that your Advance ticket isn't valid if you don't sit in your reserved seat...

Really?  That is news to me.  After all my pious comments about fare-dodgers it looks like I have been travelling for years without a valid ticket!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 13:48:11 »

Best one I ever had was someone trying to evict me from a seat in coach F.  He was adamant I was in his seat so I asked to see his ticket - which he refused as I was not an "authorised person".  Fair enough.  Luckily the train manager was nearby and she looked at it.  "Yes sir, that F means your seat is facing.  You are in coach H."

I then went back to eating my fillet steak.....  Grin
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 14:24:00 »

Best one I ever had was someone trying to evict me from a seat in coach F.  He was adamant I was in his seat so I asked to see his ticket - which he refused as I was not an "authorised person".  Fair enough.  Luckily the train manager was nearby and she looked at it.  "Yes sir, that F means your seat is facing.  You are in coach H."

I then went back to eating my fillet steak.....  Grin

Maybe that person wasn't the first to find it confusing.  See NRE(resolve) website:

Take care not to confuse the Forward, Backing or Airline indicator with coach F, B or A.

Indeed. And then there is the minor point that your Advance ticket isn't valid if you don't sit in your reserved seat...

Really?  That is news to me.  After all my pious comments about fare-dodgers it looks like I have been travelling for years without a valid ticket!

NRE website says:

Where applicable, you must travel in the Class and reserved seat(s) shown on the ticket(s).

Other members may be able to quote chapter and verse from the Codex Ferrovia...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 15:47:20 »

I vaguely knew of such a rule but have never seen it enforced.
Glad I'm not the only one then...  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 16:38:25 by Timmer » Logged

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 17:51:01 »

Glad I'm not the only one then! Cheesy

I vaguely knew of such a rule but have never seen it enforced.

I've been aware of this and usually sit in the designated seat.   However, when it turns out to be at a table of 4 already occupied by Mum, Dad and child ... with the rest of the carriage quiet ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 15:55:58 »

Because the HSTs (High Speed Train) can end up the wrong way round on occasions?...
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 16:47:40 »

Should the day ever come when I am asked to sit in the reserved seat shown on the reservation, I will gladly do so. These days I usually travel on SWT (South West Trains), no seat reservations with Advance tickets, and East Coast where you choose your seat so this is rarely an issue for me. I really would like FGW (First Great Western) to introduce the 'choose your seat' facility now. They use the same booking interface as East Coast so why not?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 16:42:06 by Timmer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 16:26:56 »

OK ... many thanks for your inputs; 62 people took part in the poll.

87% of you would sit next to someone (in a pair of seats) but only 46.5% would sit in the middle of a group of three seats.

93.5% of you would ask someone to move their bag / luggage so that you could sit down, but only 11.5% of you would ask someone to move their under-five child so you could sit.

38.5% of you would wait of have waited for a later (or taken an earlier, perhaps) train in order to get a seat or a more comfortable journey, and 61.5% of you would (in some circumstances) choose to stand even if seats were available

I'm not surprised at the adverse reaction to the middle seat of a group of three, and the results do help explain why some of the TransWilts services are reported "passengers standing" and yet the passenger count is slightly under the number of seats on the train; a useful understanding point.

I hadn't expected such a high proportion willing to ask people to move their bags, nor the dramatic difference between the people who will say "please move that bag" and "please move that child".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 17:01:39 »

On that last point, a bag is inanimate and can go on the floor, in a rack or on one's lap.

An under five can be very animate, and sitting next to one who has to now sit on their parent or guardian's lap is unlikely to lead to a peaceful journey. Can't really put 'em in a luggage rack either.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 18:08:42 »

On the other hand, I understand some teenagers make a point of travelling in the luggage rack - it's apparently some sort of 'youff statement' ...  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 19:05:12 »

The luggage rack is also popular with commuters.  Considerably more comfortable than the floor.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 11:12:12 »

The luggage rack is also popular with commuters.  Considerably more comfortable than the floor.
Certainly the case on some buses, where I have been known to sit on the luggage rack rather than sit down next to somebody. Other buses though the bar of the rack is so uncomfortable I have had to sit on the floor once or twice, also on trams/trains where there are no luggage racks that are suitable for sitting on.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: