19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
03:56 Swansea to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 05:04:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Tonights 8.30pm Paddington to Maidenhead and platform 13 (again!)  (Read 32721 times)
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2008, 22:00:38 »

Today Chiltern were using 13/14 for most the day. I did 1 of them and coped perfectly well with the walk! It wasn't that bad! I'd say it took 2minutes. Now, bearing in mind trains leave the departure board 1 min before hand, I think it is quite easy, as you should be in by 2 minutes before departure, make it 2.30 and you should be fine!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2008, 00:05:16 »

Today Chiltern were using 13/14 for most the day. I did 1 of them and coped perfectly well with the walk! It wasn't that bad! I'd say it took 2minutes. Now, bearing in mind trains leave the departure board 1 min before hand, I think it is quite easy, as you should be in by 2 minutes before departure, make it 2.30 and you should be fine!

Without luggage, or without being old, or without a bike

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2008, 09:13:15 »

Yes, but do the other 2 people who are 'moaning' about it do it regulary with all those things?

The fact of the matter is, you should leave 5minutes (at least) between arriving at the station and your train being booked to leave. Most people with luggage or who are old/infirm normally leave the 'correct' amount of time.

And people with bikes (I'm going to be killed for saying this!) normally ride them down the platform anyway!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:17:36 by Jim » Logged

Cheers
Jim Smiley
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2008, 09:55:49 »

Yes, but do the other 2 people who are 'moaning' about it do it regulary with all those things?

The fact of the matter is, you should leave 5minutes (at least) between arriving at the station and your train being booked to leave. Most people with luggage or who are old/infirm normally leave the 'correct' amount of time.

And people with bikes (I'm going to be killed for saying this!) normally ride them down the platform anyway!

I'd love to see that through the crowds at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)  Cheesy
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2008, 14:59:48 »

I'd love to see that through the crowds at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)  Cheesy

Seen it, you aren't missing much Cheesy
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2008, 21:27:45 »

As I presume I'm one oif the two people 'moaning' I feel compelled to reply....

If there are valid operational reasons why platform 13 MUST be used when other platforms are available then fair enough.  I generally arrive with plenty of time in hand to catch my train.  I don't have an issue with it being my fault if I don't leave sufficient time....my fault, my bad, etc.  My point simply is that if there are platforms available that would make it more convenient for customers then why not use them ? 
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2008, 21:44:44 »

As I presume I'm one oif the two people 'moaning' I feel compelled to reply....

If there are valid operational reasons why platform 13 MUST be used when other platforms are available then fair enough.  I generally arrive with plenty of time in hand to catch my train.  I don't have an issue with it being my fault if I don't leave sufficient time....my fault, my bad, etc.  My point simply is that if there are platforms available that would make it more convenient for customers then why not use them ? 

because as previously stated, a platform is a platform in the eyes of a signaller so is used that way.

And surely the platforms might be empty, but theres probably a good few trains on "final approach" to them in the next 5-10 mins, which tbh would make signalling them elsewhere a bit of a 'mare. Just to make it "convenient" for 50 or so people getting 1 train
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 21:57:04 by Shazz » Logged
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2008, 08:45:27 »

As I keep saying, if there's a good operational reason for not using the empty platforms then so be it.  Don't have a problem with that at all.  If however an alternative to platform 13 could be used then, as a paying customer, I'd very much appreciate it.
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2008, 09:20:12 »

As a paying customer who regularly uses the Hammersmith and City Line from Paddington (platforms 15 and 16), I would find arrivals and departures from Platforms 13 and 14 rather convenient as it happens. Who'd run a railway - you can never please everyone can you?  Wink
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2008, 19:37:50 »

I think we should end this post now.. And I'm allowed to say that as I started it...

However one final (ish?) word... It has been mentioned several times in the last few replies that we should all arrive at Paddington several minutes early for our trains.. Please could you explain how I can do this when I arrive consistently late at Paddington in the morning (courtesy of FGW (First Great Western)/NR» (Network Rail - home page)) and am therefore constantly fighting to do enough hours at work before I leave.. So how can I leave early enough to arrive at Paddington early?  And no I am not priveleged like some of you, I have to take children to school in the morning so cannot get an earlier train however much I would like to!

Oh dear, now I asked a question! Please don't answer it...
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2008, 19:52:40 »

I think we should end this post now.. And I'm allowed to say that as I started it...

However one final (ish?) word... It has been mentioned several times in the last few replies that we should all arrive at Paddington several minutes early for our trains.. Please could you explain how I can do this when I arrive consistently late at Paddington in the morning (courtesy of FGW (First Great Western)/NR» (Network Rail - home page)) and am therefore constantly fighting to do enough hours at work before I leave.. So how can I leave early enough to arrive at Paddington early?  And no I am not priveleged like some of you, I have to take children to school in the morning so cannot get an earlier train however much I would like to!

Oh dear, now I asked a question! Please don't answer it...

Sadly it's not your choice to end a topic unless the mod's agree!

Ok, so you arrive late in the morning, thats quite true, so why not instead of rushing just catch a service 15mins later, and posiably from a better platform.

I'm not priviliged, I can't afford a season to Padd!

Why not give working from home a go, (I don't know if you can or not) and commute later on in the day, you might become more ontime!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2008, 20:45:07 »

Quote from: johoare
I think we should end this post now ...

Much as I encourage a wide range of discussions, I'm inclined to agree that we have spent quite a lot of time exchaning views on this topic, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to move on.  Good idea, Jo.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2008, 16:52:33 »

Sorry to bring this up but I said I would show what a Saturday is like between 10 and 11am =]

From Saturday 19th January amended station working:

Platform 1: 10:37 Bristol TM(resolve) and 10:47 Worcester FS (2x180)
Platform 2: 10:06 arrival from Great Malvern out to the Depot 10+18
Platform 3: 09:30 arrival from Swansea out as 10:05 Penzance
               10:30 arrival from Swansea out as 11:05 Penzance
Platform 4: 09:43 arrival from Depot out as 10:15 Swansea
                10:51 arrival from Bedwyn out as 11:18 Bedwyn
Platform 5: 10:08 arrival from Plymouth out as 11:15 Swansea
Platform 6: 10:03 arrival from Heathrow T4 out as 10:25 Heathrow T4
               10:33 arrival from Heathrow T4 out as 10:55 Heathrow T4
Platform 7: 09:48 arrival from Heathrow T4 out as 10:10 Heathrow T4
               10:18 arrival from Heathrow T4 out as 10:40 Heathrow T4
               10:48 arrival from Heathrow T4 out as 11:10 Heathrow T4
Platform 8: 09:28 arrival from Oxford out as 10:22 Oxford
                10:27 arrival from Oxford out as 11:21 Oxford
Platform 9: Booked as being 10:37 Bristol, but this changed due to set swap, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) this had a set come in from Plymouth and went back to the Depot. But this isn't fact.
                10:57 arrival from Paignton out to the Depot at 11+12.
Platform 10: 09:52 arrival from Bedwyn out as 10:19 Bedwyn
Platform 11: 09:59 arrival from Oxford out as 10:15 Reading
                 10:29 arrival from Oxford out as 10:45 Reading
                 10:59 arrival from Oxford out as 11:15 Reading
Platform 12: 09:54 arrival from Heathrow T123 out as 10:03 Heathrow T123
                 10:24 arrival from Heathrow T123 out as 10:33 Heathrow T123
                 10:54 arrival from Heathrow T123 out as 11:03 Heathrow T123
Platform 13: 09:41 arrival from Reading out as 10:00 Oxford
                 10:11 arrival from Reading out as 10:30 Oxford
                 10:41 arrival from Reading out as 11:00 Oxford
Platform 14: 10:17 arrival from Greenford out as 10:25 Greenford
                 10:47 arrival from Greenford out as 10:55 Greenford

Again sorry for bringing up an old thread.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2008, 16:58:41 »

just let it die... Tongue
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2008, 17:03:07 »

just let it die... Tongue

Aha I can't, I said I would do it, not going back on that Cheesy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: