Delayed
03:56 Swansea to London Paddington
05:15 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 06:56:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[69] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile friendly site  (Read 20074 times)
Surrey 455

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2014, 22:15:33 »

It's sometimes a bit difficult to navigate around the coffeshop on a mobile. Are there any plans to make it easier?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:53:09 »

I'm aware of a number of areas where improvements could be made with big advantage, and making it more mobile friendly is one of them. But whilst I (and the admin / moderator team) are aware of these things, we're currently running in a steady state mode where the site / forum runs stably and only critical issues that arise in the software are fixed.

The forum has developed over the years into something much bigger than we intended / expected, and what we thought would be a short term campaign and build up to an FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) database of common questions took on a much longer and wider life of its own.   The initial choice of software has proven to be a good one, but upgrading at this point would be a tricky operation through a number of intermediate versions that might be hard to source, and patches would need to be re-engineered and applied.  Technically possible, but very expensive in terms of time taken and there would probably need to be a financial cost in doing so.  However, we don't take advertising, we don't charge membership (neither paths we can take) and beyond the provision of server space by my company, we're not sponsored.

In summer and autumn 2012, we had provisional plans afoot to make a switch should trains in the West of England be operated by a different TOC (Train Operating Company) - that would have been a logical time to move to something with mobile, search, and other improvements, and perhaps to something that had a different organisational approach behind it.  Having the name "FirstGreatWestern" in the URL is both a blessing and curse;  it's a blessing in making it very clear that "Firstgreatwestern.info is information about First Great Western", but we cannot [mt]ake money from the use of their name, and every page makes it clear that "This forum is provided by a customer of First Great Western, and the views expressed are those of the individual posters concerned. Visit www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk for the official First Great Western website."

The stable / non-changing nature of the underlying software hasn't stopped us upgrading underlying Linux, PHP and MySQL, and it doesn't stop us changing relatively minor things which aren't there in the original software; it could be an issue in the future if deprecated function calls are removed. We can also make a wide range of data  changes and flip switches, so that new boards can be added, membership groups changed, and so forth.  We can even make a few look and feel changes (as indeed we did when we added multiple styles) and it just might allow us to help the mobile users who - I know - are now a significant proportion.  I'm not personally enough of an expert (and I don't have the time) to do such work, but there are two or three longstanding, skilled, trusted members who might be able to help.   They'll know who they are ... and I would be happy to explore options with them and the moderator team.

In the longer term, I note that wnxxforum has basically started afresh (as I understand it) with their old forum archived and the new one - under a different domain name - taking off well.   Perhaps there's some merit in that approach, all be it I would really ("vitally") want to see an ability to look back within our archive of postings as well as at newer material.  That would be a huge decision, though;  this forum has become a significant factor  for quite a number of members, and that's something that I (and I'm sure the moderator and admin team) cherish and wish to protect.

That's a very long answer - thanks for the opportunity to look at where we are and where we might go in this way.   Historic statements above are pretty accurate (I think); thoughts of where we might go are to a degree personal, although much has been discussed on matters like this "behind the counter" over past years.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 06:16:47 »

Stunned silence from all members??   The team does have an eye for the future - very much so - even if you don't see changing facilities and extras being added. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 10:02:02 »

OK, I^ll stick my head over the parapet!

I should start by saying that, in common with everyone else using this forum I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Graham and the team for all the work they do behind the scenes keeping the Coffeeshop running. I am (uncharacteristically, you may think) reluctant to criticise the forum^s quirks and foibles for that reason if no other.

However it is estimated that by mid-2014 over half of all website visits in the UK (United Kingdom) will be from mobile web browsers, and this percentage can only grow. Given that the forum is primarily intended for travellers, it may be that its percentage of mobile users is already higher than that (do you have the analytics, Graham?), so moving to a mobile-friendly format has to be highly desirable. 

I suspect that the ^fresh start^ approach that wnxx have used may well be the best way forward, though I agree that the ability to link back to old threads is a must-have.

Need any help?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:53:55 »

OK, I^ll stick my head over the parapet!

I should start by saying that, in common with everyone else using this forum I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Graham and the team for all the work they do behind the scenes keeping the Coffeeshop running. I am (uncharacteristically, you may think) reluctant to criticise the forum^s quirks and foibles for that reason if no other.

There is a huge difference between acknowledging and discussing foibles and where we may go - which is really useful (thank you for sticking your head over!) and criticising something (which you are NOT doing, thank you) in the expectation that everything will be as good / perfect as it would be as if you were paying significant fees to use it.  As you say, we do our best and work around things and I / we need to know what are the real irritants / desires, even if the answer is "sorry".

However it is estimated that by mid-2014 over half of all website visits in the UK (United Kingdom) will be from mobile web browsers, and this percentage can only grow. Given that the forum is primarily intended for travellers, it may be that its percentage of mobile users is already higher than that (do you have the analytics, Graham?), so moving to a mobile-friendly format has to be highly desirable. 

Yes, we do have analytics and server logs.   However, they are going to be biased towards non-mobile browsers exactly because it ain't easy on mobiles.

I suspect that the ^fresh start^ approach that wnxx have used may well be the best way forward, though I agree that the ability to link back to old threads is a must-have.

Need any help?

Yes ... indeed I wonder if a fresh 'skin' may be added - perhaps rather more that a style - in the "site style" section.  There's a danger there of taking ourselves into even more of a cul-de-sac though ... it's more a discussion topic and this month and next priority of (my) volunteer time is on (a) getting people onto trains and (b) helping correlate views and answers to the 2015 - 2020 consultation.

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 00:39:28 »

Thanks for your reply Graham, your site is much appreciated. 
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 21:20:24 »

I agree with what has been said.  Yes a more mobile friendly version would be good.  But we recognise the limitations of what volunteers can realistically do. And we are hugely indebted for what you have and continue to do.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 21:56:57 »

As is so often the case it seems, I'm of an entirely contrary opinion to the majority. I'm genuinely not bothered about this site going "mobile friendly". In fact, I'd really rather it stayed as it is.

When I want live, as-it-happens, sometimes before-it-even-happens, news updates, I have various different apps and Twitter feeds providing me with more than enough information to absorb while I'm mobile.

What I look to this site for is in-depth analysis, insider facts and knowledgeable opinions - and for that, I'd much rather enjoy wide-screen viewing, with comfortable scrolling and text, links and pictures that I'm not having to squint at.

In short, to me the Coffee Shop is a treat - and I like to savour my treats, and sit down with a screen in front of me that does it justice.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 22:35:43 »

... and, as something of an innate / inadvertent Luddite myself, I'd rather like to say that I agree with Phil, in what he has posted above.  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 22:48:37 »

I'm fine with it as is. It's fairly easy to navigate around it on my iPhone.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 23:19:56 »

I agree with Phil, in what he has posted above.  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

Blimey, that's a first! Thanks, CFN (Clifton Down station) Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 23:24:54 »

You, sir, are being cheeky: I agree with you rather more often than you might perhaps acknowledge.  Wink Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 05:56:41 »

Starting with a re-assurance.  Making the site "more mobile friendly" would be an additional style or skin - initially selected either from the top menu "Site Style" setup with an extra "M", and / or via a URL such as http://mobile.firstgreatwestern.info . No changes to the main presentations of data which some of us have grown rather fond of; users should see no difference except the "mobile" offer.

IF the extra skin took us into new realms of members then it's possible (Phil's point) that the new members and their style might make for some much shorter posts due to the nature of the mobile 'beast' and I suppose that it it was a burning success, then it might mean that such new content significantly diluted the in-depth analysis elements.  But that's way off, pie in the sky beyond the stratosphere and can be tuned to a degree by content / board management.

Anyway - all very theoretical.   A very useful conversation for looking to the future but (unless Red Squirrel's offer was skilled and serious) the resource ain't there at the moment - more time critical to deal with build up of passengers on the TransWilts and to answer the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) consultation to ensure we have the trains from December 2016 to actually put the passengers on to, rather than loosing half our peak services again.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 06:02:36 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 11:52:46 »

Given that the forum is primarily intended for travellers, it may be that its percentage of mobile users is already higher than that (do you have the analytics, Graham?), so moving to a mobile-friendly format has to be highly desirable. 

Need any help?

Been researching a bit more ... analytics report for last month attached as an image.   Our figures for mobile are relatively low.

Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 13:50:37 »

I will join the chorus of members that congratulate Graham for devoting much time and effort to keep this great site going.

I do sometimes wish the forum had a "thanks" or "like" button that some other forums have. Sometimes I agree with or enjoy a post, but don't want to clutter the forum with a post of one or two words just to say as much. But a like button would be a way to members know I really appreciated a particular post, even if I have nothing more to add to the discussion.

I would definitely appreciate a mobile version of this site. Note to those braking into a sweat, I said version and not replacement!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: