Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:43 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 07:35:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[147] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[83] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[49] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] underground plans for Bristol update.
[32] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[31] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Encouraging visitors to the South West - FGW campaign launches  (Read 6699 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 19, 2014, 15:15:17 »

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/05/19/first-great-western-looks-increase-ticket-sales-85m-campaign?

The ^Be a First Great Westerner^ campaign kicks off today with an out of home campaign, planned and bought by Kinetic Worldwide, which sees the rail company takeover a number of sites including the W6 network, the Cromwell Road and London^s IMAX, with creative designed by Leith Agency.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 12:08:48 »

Not certain how well this is going to work !

At holiday times, many FGW (First Great Western) services are already grossly overcrowded and offer most unpleasant journies.
I have been on a few summer peak services when the prevailing view of leisure travellers was "never again" after paying a lot to stand for hours.

And whilst First class is more comfortable, this has recently been much reduced and fares substantialy increased.

Add to that some years of disruption ESPECIALY AT HOLIDAY TIMES for electrification works and other upgrades.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 22:20:22 »

Thanks to the reduction in First Class there will be up to an extra carriage for holiday makers, the majority of whom I imagine travel in First Class, so there should be some space left for FGW (First Great Western) to fill.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:53:54 »

Standard class, you mean?
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 11:17:43 »

Sorry yes, I imagine the majority of holiday makers travel in Standard not First Class.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 13:33:36 »

Not certain how well this is going to work !

At holiday times, many FGW (First Great Western) services are already grossly overcrowded and offer most unpleasant journies.
I have been on a few summer peak services when the prevailing view of leisure travellers was "never again" after paying a lot to stand for hours.

And whilst First class is more comfortable, this has recently been much reduced and fares substantialy increased.

Add to that some years of disruption ESPECIALY AT HOLIDAY TIMES for electrification works and other upgrades.

......couldn't agree more, grossly overcrowded trains, high fares (especially on Fridays), long distance bustitution at weekends, ridiculously overpriced catering (when available).....if I was heading west on holiday rail would not be the chosen option.....especially if heading West of Plymouth, and especially if travelling with young children.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 13:59:11 »

So on a saturday in August there are currently tickets available from London to Newquay (around 5 hrs) for under ^40 for a family of 4 (with a family railcard). No change required, no bustitution and your seats are reserved.  And if you don't want to pay for the catering on board then there's a Sainsburys and M&S available at Paddington.

No A303, No M5, No A30, no services on the M5 that are so crowded that you have to queue to get into, when your young child is desparate, having announced that they need to go as you are sailing past the previous service station.

Seems quite an attractive option to me.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 14:07:33 »

So on a saturday in August there are currently tickets available from London to Newquay (around 5 hrs) for under ^40 for a family of 4 (with a family railcard). No change required, no bustitution and your seats are reserved.  And if you don't want to pay for the catering on board then there's a Sainsburys and M&S available at Paddington.

No A303, No M5, No A30, no services on the M5 that are so crowded that you have to queue to get into, when your young child is desparate, having announced that they need to go as you are sailing past the previous service station.

Seems quite an attractive option to me.

...........so I've got to get a railcard, and commit myself and my family to one train on one day 3 months hence? It's OK if flexibility is not an issue I guess.

As to the toilet, I'd much rather go at a service station where they are kept reasonably clean and hygienic.......have you tried a train toilet on a packed service after 3 or 4 hours?

I'd take my chances on the road I think, A303 is a lovely drive, might even stop for a picnic!  Smiley

Don't get me wrong, if it's just me I'd take the train every time.......but if it's a group on hols, no thanks, not practical.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 14:11:13 »

I'd take my chances on the road I think, A303 is a lovely drive  Smiley

On an August weekend with two kids strapped in the back for six hours? Chances of a pleasurable journey, free of queueing traffic and back seat tantrums are close to zero I'd suggest.

Chances of the train getting there on time, with the kids able to move about and be distracting without risk to the parent driving? Much higher. 

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 14:12:36 »

I'd take my chances on the road I think, A303 is a lovely drive  Smiley

With two kids strapped in the back for six hours?

In the back? The beer is in a fridge on the back seat, the kids are in the boot!  Cheesy
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 16:47:58 »

Both road and rail have their merits of course, but rail tends to be very expensive if not booked far in advance.
There is also the risk of a "fine" of hundreds of pounds if not able to get the booked train.
Petrol and the costs of motoring dont vary much according to departure time.

Going by car you allways get a seat ! apart from kids put in the boot of course  Cheesy

I have seen FGW (First Great Western) trains overcrowded to what IMHO (in my humble opinion) was a dangerous level, and was certainly very uncomfortable. I for one was not impressed at having to stand to Taunton despite having paid the full first class fare.
Bustitution (the practice of replacing trains with buses) is not inevitable but does seem to be a frequent event especialy around Christmas, Easter and other holidays.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 21:41:57 »

So are there no overnight trains to the west country, for folk who like to travel well and truly off peak?   Grin  That's the wonder of caravanning, I can travel overnight if I'm anticipating heavy traffic.  The type of sites I visit these days are usually blessed with a parking bay for (well and truly) early arrivals.  However, now I'm retired I usually avoid Bank Holidays and such like the plague.  Whatever the season, I prefer travelling in the wee small hours, not just because it's quiet, but because I can thumb my nose at the Jeremy Clarkson camp and say WHAT road nuisance?   Wink
Holiday trains?  Sorry, my would-be green credentials fly out of the window at the thought.

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 06:03:10 »

So are there no overnight trains to the west country, for folk who like to travel well and truly off peak? 

23:45 from Paddington, 00:37 from Reading. Taunton at 02:35 ... Penzance at 07:53.   It has a leisurely pace with pauses at Exeter and Plymouth for more that usual time to let passengers change trains. 

Logically it could be routed via Chippenham and Westbury and call (as required?) along the TransWilts on its way, very much like the Fort William sleeper (currently also operated by First) does at Ardlui, Corrour and Roy Bridge. As far as Chippenham, there's a train just a few minutes ahead from London - the 23:30; beyond there the current last service from Paddington is 21:00 to Melksham (by bus from Chippenham), 21:45 to Trowbridge, Westbury and Frome, and 20:35 to Castle Cary. Silly idea?  Maybe, but some ideas that have looked silly in the past to certain people have come to pass.  Issues to be considered .. need to divert train during engineering works, extra jolts waking sleeper passengers at more stops, need for stop boards at Melksham. Don't hold you breath waiting - that's dangerous; see here.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:13:13 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 08:19:47 »

I'm not sure that the sleeping pax would appreciate extra stops the 'wrong side' of 0230!

I always awake at Exeter & that's too early frankly...i'd be wuite happy for first stop after Reading to be Plymouth...

As for the comparison with Scotrail sleeper, what times do those stops you mention occur? A lot later than they would on FGWs (First Great Western)....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 09:09:50 »

Indeed. The West Highland stops made by the Caledonian Sleeeper are more akin to those made by the Night Riviera in Cornwall, where the service acts as the first local train of the morning.

Having to provide alternative transport arrangements on the very frequent occasions when the sleeper doesn't use the TransWilts would not be particularly conducive to ensuring and retaining regular usage by passengers.

For the same reasons is why the Night Riviera doesn't stop for passengers at Swindon, Newbury, Westbury, Bristol, Yatton, Nailsea & Backwell, Bridgwater... all could have as much of a call on er.. calls as Melksham.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: