29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 03:33:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Rail says 10% of Britain's level crossings closed (BBC News)  (Read 8695 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 08:39:03 »

Oxfordshire County Council appears to have been successful in a bid for funds to remove the level crossing at London Road, Bicester in time for EastWest Rail services starting....a bridge is going in there
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 14:19:43 »

Bicester - London Road level crossing - The Oxford Mail report reads:
 Bicester^s London Road will be improved in expectation of an increase in train services following the completion of the East West rail project ^ which could consist of a bridge or a new road.
The council has been given up to ^6.8m for this but the total cost of the project is not yet known.
From what I can recall, there is not a lot of space to build a bridge and I wonder where an alternative road could be built.
However it is good to see the likely problem being tackled.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 14:46:31 »

I think this is still going through one of those will-they-won't-they funding dances. The money has been devolved from DfT» (Department for Transport - about) to the new Oxfordshire Local Transport Board but comes via the Local Enterprise Partnership. How much they get is a bit of a mystery - at least ^M10.6 over four years, but their priority list runs to ^M128, so giving 2/3 of that total to this one bridge seems a bit surprising. The initial gesstimate of total cost was ^M10, which sounds like a standard budgetting figure for an overbridge.

The proposal (as in July 2013) is:
Quote from: Bicester London Road railway crossing
A new all-modes road bridge across the railway (or road underpass plus pedestrian overbridge) at London Road. Alternatively a new link road from the A41 overbridge to London Road (and pedestrian overbridge)  or a new link road from Charbridge Road to Launton Road (plus pedestrian overbridge).

I can't see why you would want a bridge there - it would funnel more traffic straight into the centre of town - so one of the alternatives looks a better bet.

Further down the priority list is:
Quote from: Bicester Charbridge Lane railway crossing
Conversion of current level crossing of A4144 Bicester eastern perimeter road with Oxford-Bletchley Railway line into grade separated over/under-bridge.  Part of wider scheme to promote an eastern route around the town for strategic and employment traffic, to reduce congestion in the town centre and enable sustainable transport movements within the town. 

This one is not being proposed for LTB?LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) funding.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 17:20:12 »

Looks as though they got ^2.3m.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-25862943
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 13:43:09 »

However, I came across two NR» (Network Rail - home page) guys today who were surveying the crossing to provide inputs for a risk assessment using the ALCRM model. The one I spoke to was very unimpressed indeed with what he saw - he agreed with me that you just can't have a give-way line stopping you getting off a level crossing! He also said that the plan in the LC (Level Crossing) order showed a different road layout, without the mini-roundabout (so I guess it was as in the 60s, when the straight on road had priority over both side roads).

He knew nothing about the council's plans for a traffic light junction synchronised with the railway crossing, and did not think they could put one in without a lot of regulatory work first - and was not surprised to be told they (WBC) were struggling to find a suitable contractor to do it.

So we'll see what happens.

Well, WBC have been discussing this with NR - and finding them about as slow and rigid to deal with as the Highways Agency, apparently. After the survey had been run through ALCRM, NR came back saying they wanted to close the crossing. I suspect they always say that, as a first bargaining position, but retreat when the question of who pays for an alternative comes up. At least they will get to close another one (Waterloo Road), when a new bridge gets built close to it.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: