11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Newbury to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 12:45:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[112] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[83] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[43] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[37] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[36] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: First to Lose Franchise ( Rumour )  (Read 20225 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 19:21:48 »

Errr, let's just wait a minute. How could the DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) appoint anyone to run the franchise without a full blown tender process. That's what happened when GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) gave up the ghost. The DaFT could either sack FGW (First Great Western) and run the franchise themselves for a periof (like SET (Super Express Train (now IET))), or let FGW run it on a management contract (like GNER) for a year whilst they refranchise. Presumably the latter is more preferable, as the effort involved is significantly less.

mada
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 21:33:04 »

I have heard from a reliable source (based on what i've been told previously), that SWT (South West Trains) have offered to take over running Portsmouth - Bristol/Cardiff, Weymouth and Exeter area services.

They currently have a surplus of DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) (for the next 2 years). I know that SWT have wanted to do this before - I wonder if this time they will get the chance...
Please please let this happen...I have been saying for two years now that SWT should take over the running of these lines. It just makes so much sense, especially in the case of Cardiff-Portsmouth as it runs over a good part of SWT's territory. After all it is called SOUTH WEST trains so why not let it run trains that run in the South West leaving FGW (First Great Western) to do what it does a pretty good job of and thats running Inter-city services.

Don't know what to suggest with the Thames side of the operation. Maybe those who use these services could come up with some suggestions?

How credible is this... really?
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 01:17:51 »

They currently have a surplus of DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) (for the next 2 years). I know that SWT (South West Trains) have wanted to do this before - I wonder if this time they will get the chance...
Yes, of a huge 6 158s a day (which 2 of which are covering the 159 programme, then there are maintenance requirements). And 2 159s away at any one time, that's 4 159s left, etc... not many!

Sorry, I honestly can't see it happening within the next 10 years, if at all.
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 02:26:52 »

I reckon that anymore of these First are going to lose the franchise runour postings should be banned.  Every day I come on here and read this drivel. For Pete's sake let's have some reasonable debate!

Sorry to anyone called Pete! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:48:08 by 12hoursunday » Logged
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 07:08:34 »

What a load of sh1t! If this were going to happen then the franchise would have to be re-let, FGW (First Great Western) would have to be given notice and the whole tender process startet, it wouldn't be simply "given" to Virgin!!!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 07:14:29 »

I reckon that anymore of these First are going to lose the franchise runour postings should be banned.  Every day I come on here and read this drivel. For Christ's sake let's have some reasonable debate!
Every day?Huh I don't think we have you know so I don't think they should be banned, this is after all a discussion site. It would also be appreciated if you could tone down the language a bit as to some who post here Christ actually means something. Whats he done to you to deserve you using his name as a profanity?
Ptolemy

ptolemyphil@hotmail.com ptolemyphil
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 10:59:01 »

Do I smell a troll? Most defenders of the faith that I know would write "His" when referring to Our Lord if they were genuinely offended rather than merely posting for a wind-up. Interesting too that the euphemism "sh1t" immediately above passed without comment.

For what it's worth, I personally think any change of franchise within five years at least is so unikely as to be barely worth talking about. I do however defend the right of individuals to freely express their honestly felt opinions on ANY subject, and would therefore hate to see this topic closed altogether.
supersonic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 11:09:53 »

ok,well it may only just be a rumour, but there has been talk of it, i know many guards who work for great western and there has been talk of it amongst them.. and if this is a discussion site, why swear ??
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 11:15:06 »

Do I smell a troll?

Looking back at the members who have posted on this topic, I dont believe that any of them fit the description of "troll."

It is a heated debate though, and one which the moderation team will keep an eye on.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 11:27:20 »

Do I smell a troll? Most defenders of the faith that I know would write "His" when referring to Our Lord if they were genuinely offended rather than merely posting for a wind-up. Interesting too that the euphemism "sh1t" immediately above passed without comment.

For what it's worth, I personally think any change of franchise within five years at least is so unikely as to be barely worth talking about. I do however defend the right of individuals to freely express their honestly felt opinions on ANY subject, and would therefore hate to see this topic closed altogether.
You are absolutely right Ptolemy, I should have spelt the word 'his' with a capital 'H' so thank you for pointing that out.

I'm not a troll as many who post to this site will testify even if they don't agree with everything I post.

As for not making comment about the language sometimes used on the site, that is not for me as a moderator to step in on unless the language used is very strong and could be deemed offensive to people who read posts on this site. We all know what those words are.

Using the Lord's name in vain is something that I don't feel is necessary to be used to convey a point and I am personally offended by it when I see it or hear it hence my decision to step in. I don't expect everyone to agree with what I have written as everyone is entitled to their own opinion as we live in a free world but I am entitled to say 'hey' when it happens.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 11:35:22 »

Quote from: Timmer
Using the Lord's name in vain

You don't actually know that he was, though. For all we know he might have been referring to Fred Christ, who used to play basketball for the New York Knicks.
Now, where's my Devil's Advocate smiley... Ahh, this will do:

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 11:36:33 »

trust you  Cheesy
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 12:45:51 »

ok,well it may only just be a rumour, but there has been talk of it

Yeah right on. and there has been talk of me spending an hour behind the bike shed with Jodie Marsh but it aint true! Cheesy

Sorry to Jodie for using her name in vain. Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:49:36 by 12hoursunday » Logged
Ptolemy

ptolemyphil@hotmail.com ptolemyphil
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 13:02:12 »

Shocked You dare to offend Saint Jodie?  Shocked

Burn the infidel's embassy!!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 16:18:45 »

Have we gotten off topic here or what?

Can I suggest that we keep religion away from the discussions unless it has something to do with the thread in question ... (so it would be valid if we were talking about whether or not special trains should run to take crowds to see Billy Graham, Jodie Foster or the Pope.)

And let's ease up on picking on people's use of language while we're at it.  I know I'm a bit of a culprid there sometimes, but even I don'e always get my smelling write, right?  Thanks folks!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: