Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 02:11:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: new Services Hereford to London via Bristol  (Read 12281 times)
supersonic

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:27:00 »

i think that their should be a service from hereford to london paddington calling at abergavenny, bristol parkway, swindon, didcot, reading and london paddington.......... great western run back emty stock back this way, so why not have a revenue service this way ?
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:34:28 »

You do know how long and pointless that would actually be if you wanted to get to hereford?

Do you deffinatly run stock back that route? as it seems incredibly pointless
supersonic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:43:52 »

i think that their should be a service from hereford to london paddington calling at abergavenny, bristol parkway, swindon, didcot, reading and london paddington.......... great western run back emty stock back this way, so why not have a revenue service this way ?

First Send their 1721 Padd to Hereford back to Bristol that way, and a few others not sure which ones..
supersonic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 12:44:46 »

You do know how long and pointless that would actually be if you wanted to get to hereford?

It wouldnt be that pointless, might be quicker than using the evesham route..
redskin125

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 17:24:47 »

Both the 1721 and 1821 Paddington to Hereford HST (High Speed Train)'s run empty from Hereford to Bristol St Philips Marsh for servicing. The HST off 2020 Paddington to Great Malvern is supposed to stay in the sidings at Hereford, but cannot at the moment because the shore supply (external electrical supply to keep the engines warm etc) doesn't work and is so old that Network Rail are having problems finding obsolete spares. This HST is having to run empty to Bristol TM(resolve).
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 19:20:42 »

Both the 1721 and 1821 Paddington to Hereford HST (High Speed Train)'s run empty from Hereford to Bristol St Philips Marsh for servicing. The HST off 2020 Paddington to Great Malvern is supposed to stay in the sidings at Hereford, but cannot at the moment because the shore supply (external electrical supply to keep the engines warm etc) doesn't work and is so old that Network Rail are having problems finding obsolete spares. This HST is having to run empty to Bristol TM(resolve).

I was told that was fixed?  Huh
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 16:34:31 »

Yeh - it is.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 18:26:54 »

As someone who has done that route and the evesham (and regularly) I can say its not that long and pointless.

Hereford -> PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) via evesham takes about 3 hours but is incrredibably subject to delay

Ludlow -> Newport takes an hour but hereford is 15 or so before so 45

Then newport to pad is 2 hours

now, given you would not have to change, and you could cut out newport.........

Its not as stupid as it sounds

(PS - if they did a service that route I wold seriously be tempted)

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
willc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 23:31:15 »

Hereford sidings electricity shore supply is not fixed yet, but Mike Carroll (FGW (First Great Western) route director east) told a public meeting in Charlbury tonight that it was a top priority and he expected it to be done within a week.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 01:09:16 »

According to a post by David Cameron's researcher on the Charlbury.info website, FGW (First Great Western) has informed him that the 05.30 from Malvern to London is now being stabled overnight at Hereford, so it looks like the electricity supply is back on tap.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 19:51:49 »

What about the old BR (British Rail(ways)) London Paddington-Hull service, that train made up many reasonable journey options like Reading-Doncaster, Oxford-HUll, or indeed the old SW & W London Waterloo-Manchester via Hereford trains, very useful trains for some journeys.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 20:05:29 »

I liked the London Waterloo to Manchester service - via Salisbury and Hereford - and Ludlow - now is there anyone there who might like to have a dirfect London train!  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 20:31:27 »

I liked the London Waterloo to Manchester service - via Salisbury and Hereford - and Ludlow - now is there anyone there who might like to have a dirfect London train!  Grin

When did this service run? Was it BR (British Rail(ways)) or Wales and West?

Also- I think that running HSTs (High Speed Train) from Bristol area to Hereford is a bad idea, because sets could constantly be put into reverse formation- upsetting the Charbury Commuter group!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 20:45:41 »

Wales & West I believe.

Well there are two triangles at Bristol and Newport to make sure the train stays in the correct formation (ie so that it can platform the leading first class and annoy Mookie)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 22:16:26 »

ie so that it can platform the leading first class and annoy Mookie

Cheesy

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: