Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 13:15:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[164] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Serco and the Caledonian Sleeper franchise  (Read 56242 times)
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 14:10:26 »

Thanks for the 'heads up' for that Bob.  Having glanced at all the wonderful promised improvements, I had a small shudder of horror at the mention of 'theme nights' in the club car.  Certainly in the summer, whatever the delights inside the train they will never match the majesty outside the window (at the Scottish end of the journey of course - lovely though Watford and Milton Keynes are, 'majestic' they will never be  Cheesy).

The trouble with entertainment on a regular service, is that for all those it suits, many others are put off.  I apologies for my negativity on this point, which is only matched by my cynicism that it will probably never happen. I wish them well, however, with their aspiration to provide upgraded facilities and I will no doubt sample them in due course.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 16:13:26 »

Thanks for the 'heads up' for that Bob.  Having glanced at all the wonderful promised improvements, I had a small shudder of horror at the mention of 'theme nights' in the club car.  Certainly in the summer, whatever the delights inside the train they will never match the majesty outside the window (at the Scottish end of the journey of course - lovely though Watford and Milton Keynes are, 'majestic' they will never be  Cheesy).

The trouble with entertainment on a regular service, is that for all those it suits, many others are put off.  I apologies for my negativity on this point, which is only matched by my cynicism that it will probably never happen. I wish them well, however, with their aspiration to provide upgraded facilities and I will no doubt sample them in due course.

Just out of interest (for those that have experienced both), how does the Caledonian sleeper compare to the Night Riviera?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2015, 17:05:39 »

The sleeping accommodation is similar on both services, although on the Caledonian bunk beds are still is use as they allow dual occupancy of a cabin by two of the same sex not travelling together.

The primary difference is the catering provision.  The Scottish services have a nicely laid out lounge with a wide selection of hot food.  To an extent that is not necessary on the West of England services as they board later than, in particular, the Highland sleepers and many will have already eaten.  The Night Riviera carries a similar range to that on the daytime Express Cafes.

The Scottish services also have a range of very agreeable "wee drams".

The FGW (First Great Western) sleepers have WiFi.

The big winner for the northbound Scottish sleepers, however, is the view when you awake!

trainer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 17:41:01 »

The primary difference is the catering provision.  The Scottish services have a nicely laid out lounge with a wide selection of hot food.  ...

The big winner for the northbound Scottish sleepers, however, is the view when you awake!

Sadly, the last time I used the train from Fort William (June 2013) the lounge car kitchen was unable to provide anything hot - food or drink - and a regular traveller told me that this was not unusual at that time.  I would hope it's better now. But the sun setting over Rannoch Moor and the deer grazing in the distance is still an image I treasure in my memory.

edited to correct spelling
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 22:27:55 by trainer » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 17:47:36 »

As I reported at the time, one of the last occasions I was on the Scottish sleeper they were unable to provide light, let alone heat, in the lounge car!  These things happen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 23:34:57 »

The Scottish services also have a range of very agreeable "wee drams".

I remain utterly appalled that my colleague bobm chose to add not only ice cubes but also ginger ale to a single malt.  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2015, 00:04:29 »

Would agree with TWO ice cubes, but Ginger ale Huh??
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2015, 00:22:09 »

Drink it how you like, I say. There are times when neat is what you fancy. Times when you want it with some water or ice, and times when a longer drink is the order of the day.

http://www.malts.com/index.php/en_gb/Enjoying-Whisky/How-to-enjoy-your-single-malts

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2015, 00:26:43 »

Absolutely fair comment - but I must warn our readers that the site in that link is age restricted.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2015, 00:40:18 »

And this evening I have mostly been drinking Thatcher's Gold with a splash of Robinson's Orange Barley Water.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2015, 03:40:43 »

In preparation for the takeover the new operators have launched their website - http://caledoniansleeper.info/

Some interesting stuff on it.

That would appear to be Serco's corporate informational website about their plans the Caledonian Sleeper over the life of the franchise.

The main website for customers, now also open for bookings for dates from April 2nd (and up to 12 months in advance - a first for a UK (United Kingdom) train operator), is to be found at the following link:

https://www.sleeper.scot/

All the information there about the timetables, fares, destinations, onboard services, terms and conditions and a Guest Charter. There's also a downloadable travel guide:

https://www.sleeper.scot/images/PDFS/Travelguide2015.pdf

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2015, 08:29:19 »

That a nice, easy to use, booking engine.  Offers options like pre-selecting your breakfast and paying for dinner in advance.  At least you know your costs in advance, without having to hunt them down on the website.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2015, 09:26:21 »

The main website for customers, now also open for bookings for dates from April 2nd (and up to 12 months in advance - a first for a UK (United Kingdom) train operator), is to be found at the following link:

https://www.sleeper.scot/

Except that, at the moment, you can't book further ahead than May 15th, as the timetable for after that has not been published yet. And, if you try to book later, it shows all accommodation as "fully booked" - which isn't helpful if you missed the bit about timetable validity.

I wonder how much of the time there will be 12 months of valid timetable to book against.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2015, 12:57:36 »

Idly 'booking' a berth on the system just to see the fares and options, I have discovered that it is cheaper to travel First Class than pay for solo occupancy of a Standard Cabin.  In fact you are better off paying for two berths in Standard than opting for solo occupancy.

Prices quoted for Euston to Fort William on Monday 13 April for a single passenger with a railcard:

Standard Twin: 43.75
Standard Solo: 144.40
First Class: 114.85

Possibly an error, but definitely not the 'small fee' referred to in the descriptive text of the accommodation.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2015, 13:13:32 »

Looks like they need to tweak a couple of the variable constants in their variable pricing algorithm?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: