12:11 Newbury to Reading
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 12:58:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[53] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[40] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[34] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Serco and the Caledonian Sleeper franchise  (Read 56272 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2015, 21:45:17 »

I have written again enclosing a copy of my earlier letter with a request they re-read it.

I resisted a suggestion from a colleague to send the letter in a larger font.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2015, 07:01:22 »

Up to Edinburgh tonight and back on Friday. Should be interesting how it goes.  Roll Eyes

How did you get on?
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2015, 09:29:54 »

Up to Edinburgh tonight and back on Friday. Should be interesting how it goes.  Roll Eyes

How did you get on?

Quite well. Although I have nothing to compare it to being the first time on the sleeper and all.

The only minor thing was leaving for the return 30 minutes late..but only arrived 1 late at Euston.

I also had a minor ticket issue but they handled it well and didn't have any problems in that regard.

Overall, I would definitely use it again.  Grin

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2015, 18:59:53 »

If you already have a travel ticket or the All Line Rover you can now book a berth only via the Caledonian Sleeper website - https://www.sleeper.scot/.

You can also choose your berth and evening and breakfast menu choices.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2015, 22:29:19 »

I've just been investigating a week travelling around in Scotland, using the sleeper out to Inverness and back from Fort William. I'm quite intrigued by the pricing for a single traveller requiring a berth.

A First Class Solo berth is ^29.50 cheaper than a Standard Solo berth and includes a free breakfast amongst other freebies.
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2015, 23:33:01 »

I've just been investigating a week travelling around in Scotland, using the sleeper out to Inverness and back from Fort William. I'm quite intrigued by the pricing for a single traveller requiring a berth.

A First Class Solo berth is ^29.50 cheaper than a Standard Solo berth and includes a free breakfast amongst other freebies.

The pricing does seem a little too good to be true at times.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2015, 19:53:53 »

The use of a first class berth requires the holding of a first class ticket. 

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2015, 00:30:58 »

The Scottish services also have a range of very agreeable "wee drams".

I remain utterly appalled that my colleague bobm chose to add not only ice cubes but also ginger ale to a single malt.  Shocked

He's still at it Chris.  Tongue

No ice cubes tonight though. My esteemed colleague and friend bobm is on the Lowland Sleeper to Glasgow tonight and has just sent me this picture. It is Glenfiddich and Canada Dry:

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2015, 07:26:05 »

That's just about forgiveable - Glenfiddich is pub whisky so not as sacrilegious!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2015, 21:38:13 »

No ice cubes tonight though. My esteemed colleague and friend bobm is on the Lowland Sleeper to Glasgow tonight and has just sent me this picture. It is Glenfiddich and Canada Dry ...

Thanks for that rather unwelcome update, bignosemac.  Ice cubes (preferably Highland spring water) I could almost cope with - but not ginger aleShocked

That's just about forgiveable - Glenfiddich is pub whisky so not as sacrilegious!

It's still a twelve year old single malt.  Angry

I'm no longer speaking to bobm.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2015, 22:11:15 »

In that case you don't need to know what I had on the Night Riviera sleeper this evening!  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2015, 21:39:42 »

No ice cubes tonight though. My esteemed colleague and friend bobm is on the Lowland Sleeper to Glasgow tonight and has just sent me this picture. It is Glenfiddich and Canada Dry ...

Thanks for that rather unwelcome update, bignosemac.  Ice cubes (preferably Highland spring water) I could almost cope with - but not ginger aleShocked

It's still a twelve year old single malt.  Angry

I'm no longer speaking to bobm.  Lips sealed

I think you can patch up your differences with bobm now Chris. I bought him a single malt whisky the other evening, Dalwhinnie 15 year old, and this is how he took it (the brandy is mine):

Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2015, 21:41:33 »

He left before I drank it - but I can confirm no "foreign matter" was added.  Grin
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2015, 22:49:12 »

With refferance to adding anything to a malt  the only way to drink it well is to add water in a small measure to wake up the sprit  never put ice near a malt .
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2015, 23:27:46 »

As I've said before, you drink it how you want to. With or without water, ice, mixer. It's your drink, you do what you want with it.  Grin

http://www.malts.com/index.php/en_gb/Enjoying-Whisky/How-to-enjoy-your-single-malts

Contrary to popular belief, there is no right or wrong way to enjoy Single Malt Scotch Whisky

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: