22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 12:48:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[191] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[114] access for all at Devon stations report
[75] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[13] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[9] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Long Rock Depot - part of £146 million investment for future  (Read 32032 times)
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 19:21:17 »

I wonder if the Long Rock upgrade will include re doubling the line from Marazion to Penzance. This would be very useful if there are to be extra services on the main line in the future plus some through trains from St.Ives to Penzance.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 20:41:43 »

I wonder if the Long Rock upgrade will include re doubling the line from Marazion to Penzance. This would be very useful if there are to be extra services on the main line in the future plus some through trains from St.Ives to Penzance.

I was wondering exactly the same thing. I doubt it, somehow, but I hope at least the question of whether it would be beneficial/desirable was/is investigated.

I also wonder what the plans are for the Ponsandane sidings. 
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 21:52:14 »

Is it even wide enough with the depot in the way, certainly not wide enough at the level crossing into the beach car park at the end of the depot.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 22:45:31 »

Is it even wide enough with the depot in the way, certainly not wide enough at the level crossing into the beach car park at the end of the depot.

Some great diagrams of the original layout here.

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/cornwall-railway-gallery---1-main-line-penzance-to-redruth.html
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 22:53:19 »

I don't think it is possible with the current layout, the main pinch points being those mentioned. I never quite understood why the yard was redesigned to preclude any reinstatement when allowing a bit more space would have left the option open.

It must be about 40 years since the singling happened. The early-mid 70s were very traumatic for this young lad, with the end of the Warships, the singling of the line, the demolition of the water tower and remodelling of the depot and then the end of the Westerns. 
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 20:34:35 »

It must be about 40 years since the singling happened.

It was 22-24 June 1974.  The mechanical signals in the Penzance station area were retained at that time but everything else out to Marazion was made colour-light and power points http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/pullfree.asp?FilePath=ArchiveSignals\Downloads\brwr&FileName=1974-43w2711.pdf
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 21:31:09 »

Well that's great news for the sleeper, looks most impressive, but what about the motive power?
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 21:26:59 »

North Pole is the replacement for Old Oak Common as it's currently being refurbished in preparation for IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.). I'm not sure what happens to the HEX fleet, is there room for their site to remain? Obviously the HEX fleet isn't going to be maintained at Long Rock anyway!

North Pole isn't really a replacement for Old Oak Common as it's technically not a Great Western depot but owned by Hitachi.  I would imagine that if FGW (First Great Western) wanted to stable HSTs (High Speed Train) or Turbo's at North Pole they would be charged by Hitachi.
It is rumoured that HSTs may end up being stabled during the daytime at Reading.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 14:09:59 »

Does anyone know if/where it's possible to see the plans for the new Long Rock depot expansion, work on which is currently underway? I see the old loading bay at Ponsandane has been demolished. Thanks.

alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 14:25:00 »

This may be way more detail than you wanted and perhaps not the easiest to navigate but all the planning application documents can be found at:
http://docs.planning.cornwall.gov.uk/rpp/index.asp?caseref=PA15/07736
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 14:50:51 »

This may be way more detail than you wanted and perhaps not the easiest to navigate but all the planning application documents can be found at:

Thank you for this link. There isn't much room to play with there but I was rather hoping that provision would have been made where possible for a reinstatement of the double track to cope with the planned increase in frequency of services on the main line and the extension of more St Ives services to Penzance. In the "down" direction, now that the Mexico level crossing has been closed, double track could be easily extended to the Long Rock level crossing. 
Kernowman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2016, 15:30:34 »

Thank you for this link. There isn't much room to play with there but I was rather hoping that provision would have been made where possible for a reinstatement of the double track to cope with the planned increase in frequency of services on the main line and the extension of more St Ives services to Penzance. In the "down" direction, now that the Mexico level crossing has been closed, double track could be easily extended to the Long Rock level crossing. 

I couldn't agree more
Kernowman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2016, 17:23:02 »

At Ponsandane sidings, New bank and Kings road have been disconnected and it looks like they're being filled in. Sandy bank (the one nearest the road) has been disconnected and it looks like that is being filled in too. Shoots, (the short siding) has been completely lifted and Old bank (the one nearest the running lines) has been relaid and reinstated.

At the east end of the depot, Oil road (where the fuel tanks used to be berthed), Shunt spur and Walter's siding have all been disconnected, presumably in preparation for building the new shed.

KM
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2016, 18:58:17 »

Thank you for posting that very detailed 'local knowledge' update here on the Coffee Shop forum, Kernowman.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 09:14:56 »

At Ponsandane sidings, New bank and Kings road have been disconnected and it looks like they're being filled in. Sandy bank (the one nearest the road) has been disconnected and it looks like that is being filled in too. Shoots, (the short siding) has been completely lifted and Old bank (the one nearest the running lines) has been relaid and reinstated.

At the east end of the depot, Oil road (where the fuel tanks used to be berthed), Shunt spur and Walter's siding have all been disconnected, presumably in preparation for building the new shed.

KM

Thank you, Kernowman. I hope that the disconnection of Oil road does not mean that no provision will be made for a future reinstatement of rail-borne fuel delivieries. If there is going to be an increase in frequency of services on the main line to Plymouth/beyond, it could follow that larger quantities of fuel will be delivered to Penzance. In this case, a train of fuel tankers should be more economically attractive than before. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: