Delayed
04:50 Fratton to Bristol Temple Meads
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 03:50:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Short formations/failed trains  (Read 28444 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2014, 08:34:22 »

Yep, hence both being in the process of being replaced.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2014, 08:39:34 »

Strictly, no....exams are due on set mileage, don't have to be knackered. And being fitted with accessible toilets ditto
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2014, 09:53:37 »

Yep, hence both being in the process of being replaced.

31/08/2014 09:17
Route affected

All routes through Reading

Over-running engineering work at Reading is causing delays of up to 45 minutes to trains running through the station.

This is mainly affecting services towards Basingstoke, Newbury and Didcot Parkway.

South West Trains are not currently affected by this disruption.

There is no firm estimate yet of how long the disruption is likely to continue, however delays are expected until at least 10:30

...............sorry, I forgot about the engineering work!  Embarrassed
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2014, 14:50:17 »

Looking at current train running there are already 14 short formations listed between now and midnight on the Thames Valley lines...........all down to "train faults" - judging by the comments of those in the know this is as much down to planned servicing/refits so why not say so?

.....or are we really looking at this situation for the foreseeable future as the remaining units are being flogged to death and are reaching the end of their useful/reliable life, with nothing in reserve?

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2014, 14:57:59 »

.....or are we really looking at this situation for the foreseeable future as the remaining units are being flogged to death and are reaching the end of their useful/reliable life, with nothing in reserve?
Concerning for those of us further West that these are the units coming to replace the current stock of 150s/158s. And to think we were so close to getting a brand new fleet of four car DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) on the Cardiff-Portsmouth line a few years back until Dft changed its mind. Sad
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2014, 14:59:32 »

Nothing in reserve as these are away having accessible toilet etc fitted.

If they had no faulty units, I suspect a full service would run - it's the lack of standbys that cause the shorts. So they are correct in stating faulty trains.

Fatalities will also cause the loss of a unit until it's fixed & cleaned....no fault of the operator.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2014, 15:22:16 »

A quick look at the current shortages:

A 15:27 London Paddington to Oxford due 17:17
C 15:40 Bedwyn to London Paddington due 16:57
B 16:37 Oxford to London Paddington due 18:31
A 17:37 Oxford to London Paddington due 19:31
C 17:44 London Paddington to Reading due 18:44
B 18:42 London Paddington to Bourne End due 19:29
C 18:48 Reading to London Paddington due 19:46
B 19:34 Bourne End to Maidenhead due 19:45
B 19:49 Maidenhead to Bourne End due 20:00
C 19:50 London Paddington to Banbury due 21:23
A 19:57 London Paddington to Oxford due 21:44
B 20:05 Bourne End to Maidenhead due 20:16
C 21:38 Banbury to London Paddington due 23:24
C 23:49 London Paddington to Reading due 00:56

Services "A", "B" and "C" could run into each other (I may not be 100% there with my guesses) and that looks like a total of perhaps 4 or 5 carriages less operating that is required from a fleet of 152.   Yes, that's 3.3% of the fleet out when it should be in, and I suspect uncomfortable on the 17:44 and more so on the 18:42 out of Paddington  (5 rather than 6, and 4 rather than 2 carriages).  I count 51 departures in the 2 hours from 17:00 to 18:59, none cancelled and 2 short formed.   So about 2% capacity down.  2% more than it should be (and all in one train group) - but worth quoting what is running at full strength as wells what isn't to see it in perspective.

Looking at current train running there are already 14 short formations listed between now and midnight on the Thames Valley lines...........all down to "train faults" - judging by the comments of those in the know this is as much down to planned servicing/refits so why not say so?

Gawd I hope not is we're to get those as hand-me-downs in the Bristol area!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2014, 16:48:58 »

Probably due to the agreed "reasons" with ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here), such as those for delays.

"Short formed due to Brussels interference, it's not broke but we have to fix it" is probably not one of them  Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2014, 18:28:48 »

Concerning for those of us further West that these are the units coming to replace the current stock of 150s/158s. And to think we were so close to getting a brand new fleet of four car DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) on the Cardiff-Portsmouth line a few years back until Dft changed its mind. Sad

Gawd I hope not is we're to get those as hand-me-downs in the Bristol area!

Ah but the Thames Valley outers are getting stuff even older and possible more decrypted the 319's.

To be fair the FGW (First Great Western) 165/6 fleet are possible the hardest working DMU's in the UK (United Kingdom) certainly with one of the most intensive diagrams and are by and large very reliable.
Some of the failures could be down to the number of maintenance fitters being on leave, could be a shortage of en-parts that are refurbished off site, could be a coincidental mix of both these, genuine failures and units out for person hit

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2014, 18:34:14 »

A quick look at the current shortages:

So about 2% capacity down.  2% more than it should be (and all in one train group) - but worth quoting what is running at full strength as wells what isn't to see it in perspective.

Fair point and certainly puts it into perspective but that 2% needs to be looked at in the context of a service already bursting at the seams with overcrowding so actually means a great deal more than if there was slack to be taken up?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: