Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
15:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
16:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:35 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:07 London Paddington to Newbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 14:55:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[99] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[88] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[35] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[32] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Perils of ignoring Pick Up only at Reading  (Read 22037 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2014, 20:04:05 »

We have discussed before the merits and pitfalls of trains advertised as pick up only at Reading.

Anyone on tonight's 19:15 from London Paddington to Swansea may have had a surprise.  As the train left London full and standing it was decided to skip the pick up only stop at Reading.  I don't know if any announcements were made before departure - if not, next stop Swindon!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 20:30:46 »

Do you know if there were many over carries then?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 20:43:06 »

No I wasn't on the train tonight - but I have seen people alight at Reading from it in the past.
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 21:01:55 »

We have discussed before the merits and pitfalls of trains advertised as pick up only at Reading.

Anyone on tonight's 19:15 from London Paddington to Swansea may have had a surprise.  As the train left London full and standing it was decided to skip the pick up only stop at Reading.  I don't know if any announcements were made before departure - if not, next stop Swindon!

Grin

More of that I say.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 21:07:57 »

Having a train that is pick up only on just one day of the week is always likely to catch people out.

That said, there is far too much abuse of nominally 'pick up only' services that call at Reading, by Reading commuters. So, little sympathy for any Reading bound folk who found themselves at Swindon this evening.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 21:29:29 »

There are at least 6 people ranting on Twitter about it not dropping them off at Reading.
The following has been posted to their Facebook about the overcrowding
Got on the 19.15 Swansea train from Paddington. What a disaster. Paid ^70 to go home to South Wales for the weekend. The train was delayed, when they eventually announced the train platform there was a serge of passengers that not everyone could get on the train. The seats and asiles were so full people couldn't get to their "reserved" seats. People weren't able to get through to go to the toilet and I even witnessed a girl fainting due to the heat and had to prop her up and give her water, to rub it in there was announcements about purchasing tea and coffee, they didn't have anyone trying to organise anything, give out water to fainting people or give us any information what so ever.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 22:18:16 »

I wonder why it was so full tonight? Reading that post on facebook it sounds like the conditions were not ideal..Trains to Swansea appear to run every hour after that so it's not like it was the last one..Unless they are all as busy?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 23:12:01 »

Not sure what theproblem was tonight but eveything feom 19:15 to 20:00  on the Down Main was running slowly through Slough.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 00:04:47 »

Hopefully some of the Reading commuters will think again before needlessly filling long distance services!!  Grin

I wonder why it was so full tonight? Reading that post on facebook it sounds like the conditions were not ideal..Trains to Swansea appear to run every hour after that so it's not like it was the last one..Unless they are all as busy?

Most of the Swansea services are pretty stuffed at that time of day, the first quietish one out of PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is usually the 21:15. Fridays are particularly busy, as with most long distance services - I've seen people standing in aisles & vestibules on either the 18.45 or 19.15 on a Friday until well beyond Swindon and quite possibly a few were standing until Cardiff. A good weather forecast or large public events tend to make matters worse...

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 07:21:45 »

Having a train that is pick up only on just one day of the week is always likely to catch people out.

That said, there is far too much abuse of nominally 'pick up only' services that call at Reading, by Reading commuters. So, little sympathy for any Reading bound folk who found themselves at Swindon this evening.

An awful lot of smug self satisfaction on this thread regarding this - I would perhaps suggest its more appropriate to focus on the appallingly overcrowded conditions on the train, and the effect this had on the customers - I spoke to someone who boarded it before it got too crowded and apparently the conditions were dangerous long before it left Paddington and for the whole journey there were people feeling ill, more than one fainted and one poor soul lost control of his bladder as he was unable to get to the toilet - several customers went to platform staff at Paddington before the train left to point out the dangerous overcrowding but were waved away - Health and safety legislation appears not to apply to FGW (First Great Western) - one of these days there is going to be a tragedy.......no doubt I will now be told "well its the customers fault for acting like sheep and boarding an already busy train" but it is also incumbent on FGW to ensure that they provide a safe environment -  this is known to be a regularly busy service, use boarding controls and/or ticket restrictions, it's not rocket science.......if this means telling people to wait for the next service then do so - in my industry safety comes first, before everything else.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 07:45:33 »

Health and safety legislation appears not to apply to FGW (First Great Western) - one of these days there is going to be a tragedy.......

My understanding is that it does apply, but the generally accepted methods and rules indeed may lead to us thinking that it doesn't.

no doubt I will now be told "well its the customers fault for acting like sheep and boarding an already busy train" but it is also incumbent on FGW to ensure that they provide a safe environment -  this is known to be a regularly busy service, use boarding controls and/or ticket restrictions, it's not rocket science.......if this means telling people to wait for the next service then do so - in my industry safety comes first, before everything else.

There's a paradox in that the rail industry goes beyond other means of transport to look after the safety of its passengers, to the extent that the injuries / deaths per mile are way below those of road travel.  And yet we do, indeed, pack 'em in.  I'm sure there's a risk assessment out there somewhere.   

For sure, one of these days someone's going to pass away on an overcrowded train ... but perhaps that person could equally pass away on a quiet train?  I agree that it's more likely on the busy service - but I'm not sure how much that's due to the busyness, and how much it's simply due to there being more people on the train, so more chances?

I am, by the way, asking the questions / putting the points here rather than suggesting any view or answers.  I would love to see a limit to loading of 150% on HSTs (High Speed Train), and on class 153 and 158 units.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 07:59:53 »

this is known to be a regularly busy service, use boarding controls and/or ticket restrictions, it's not rocket science.......

There is an element of this on the 19:15 on a Friday as it is not advertised as having a Reading stop.  However there is a presumption by many that ALL HSTs (High Speed Train) stop at Reading.  Further up the thread it was posted that six had reported on Twitter being overcarried.  Now I don't know what the percentage of those affected who would take to Twitter is, but say it is 10% - that means 60 people were on the train who shouldn't have been and would have eased the overcrowding.

It would be interesting to see what the loadings are like next Friday.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 08:59:38 »

When told that it was a late decision to pull the call at Reading, one of the posters on twitter complained why it hadn't been taken off the board at Paddington. But I suspect this was a presumption on his/hers part that it was on there in the first place.

Whether or not the train is stopping there, I would put clear signage at Paddington to say "First set down, Swindon. Reading passengers may not board this train", and repeat that with on board announcements prior to departure. Then excess anyone who ignored it. Harsh maybe, but the purpose is to stop people from Reading using the train to make space for longer distance travellers, and you sometimes need a stick as well as a carrot. 
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 09:08:54 »

Health and safety legislation appears not to apply to FGW (First Great Western) - one of these days there is going to be a tragedy.......

My understanding is that it does apply, but the generally accepted methods and rules indeed may lead to us thinking that it doesn't.

no doubt I will now be told "well its the customers fault for acting like sheep and boarding an already busy train" but it is also incumbent on FGW to ensure that they provide a safe environment -  this is known to be a regularly busy service, use boarding controls and/or ticket restrictions, it's not rocket science.......if this means telling people to wait for the next service then do so - in my industry safety comes first, before everything else.

There's a paradox in that the rail industry goes beyond other means of transport to look after the safety of its passengers, to the extent that the injuries / deaths per mile are way below those of road travel.  And yet we do, indeed, pack 'em in.  I'm sure there's a risk assessment out there somewhere.   

For sure, one of these days someone's going to pass away on an overcrowded train ... but perhaps that person could equally pass away on a quiet train?  I agree that it's more likely on the busy service - but I'm not sure how much that's due to the busyness, and how much it's simply due to there being more people on the train, so more chances?

I am, by the way, asking the questions / putting the points here rather than suggesting any view or answers.  I would love to see a limit to loading of 150% on HSTs (High Speed Train), and on class 153 and 158 units.

I was once on an HST at Paddington following disruption when the a train was so full that they announced that it would not leave unless some people to get off.  They asked Passengers for Reading to use a specified alternative train (also an HST for Plymouth if I recall).  Needless to say none did.  So we waited quite a time and the Reading train went first.

That was a case where they should just have announced that the train would not call at Reading and that there was an alternative train waiting at Platform x.  

Provided FGW clearly announce on the train that it is not stopping at Reading (and in my experience they do routinely anyway) then Reading passengers are trying to abuse the system and if they get carried over they must face the inconvenience.

The removal of the stop at Reading is designed to prevent the overcrowding that does occur. There are many fast trains an hour to Reading and only 1 an hour to Swansea.  Standing as far as Reading is not good. This is one way FGW try to manage this for its longer distance passengers who, incidentally, pay much more per mile  than the Reading passengers on a like for like ticket (anytime single 55p per mile for Reading, Swindon 78p, Bristol Parkway 84p, Cardiff 67p, Swansea 8070p).  They should perhaps, therefore have some priority for seats.  

Modified to correct the maths
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:36:30 by ellendune » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 09:40:16 »

I wonder if those who were over carried last night were excessed from Swindon to Reading. I doubt it - it would be on social media by now if so.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: