14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 14:20:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[154] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[47] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Perils of ignoring Pick Up only at Reading  (Read 22036 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 01:23:52 »

Friday's service showed it stopping at Reading and gave no indication that it was pick up only. However, that's a problem for RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) to solve (if it so wishes) - don't think you can expect the railway to take account of unofficial web services that may give inaccurate information. National Rail's site is a different matter, as it is the official source of information, but I'm not sure it's possible to look back to Friday on that.

RTT is actually correct from what I can see. If you look at the public timetable on RTT rather than the working timetable, it will not give you an arrival time for Reading.

That's correct, although I don't think you can expect Joe Public to realise the implications of not showing an arrival time as being "you can't get on this train and get off it at Reading". In reality, I doubt whether anyone on that train who expected to get off at Reading was relying on RTT - most just boarded knowing full well it usually stops at Reading  but they shouldn't be on board, and maybe a small proportion were genuinely caught out.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 13:06:35 »

The 1915 FO should always be first stop SWI» (Swindon - next trains) (ie not PU (stops to Pick Up only) or SD at RDG(resolve)). This train gets extremely overcrowded (I define overcrowding by Thameslink 'standards') and I have known some TMs(resolve) refuse to take the train due to the overcrowding.

It will only take a few PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-RDG season ticket holders to be excessed for not using their brain and looking at the screens, ah it says it doesn't stop at RDG maybe today it doesnt.

The trouble is it's all customer service now and I bet FGW (First Great Western) would refund any excesses that were rightly issued.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 13:17:38 »

I think the inconvenience of an extra hour+ onto the intended 25 minute journey would be enough for one to double check in the future, rather than excessing (just my personal opinion).  It is something that would have to run non-stop every week, or it just causes confusion for all.

Two things I'm not sure of with respect to Reading pickup only services

1) what the window labels say
2) what does real time trains report

I am sure there are window labels without Reading on.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 13:27:28 »

Indeed there are labels which do not say RDG(resolve) on them. It is normally agreed before hand by the AOM to remove RDG from the CIS (Customer Information System) (which is default not to show it).
Sometimes the XX:03 FO WoE services get the RDG stop taken off the CIS as well.

In the past I used to inform people I knew went to RDG that the 1915 FO wasn't scheduled to call and got abuse thrown back at me, so now I just don't care. Sooner it becomes perma first stop SWI» (Swindon - next trains) the better and get some revenue guys to excess the lot of them. (Seeing as you can't PF (Penalty Fare) them).

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 16:19:29 »

In the past I used to inform people I knew went to RDG(resolve) that the 1915 FO wasn't scheduled to call and got abuse thrown back at me, so now I just don't care. Sooner it becomes perma first stop SWI» (Swindon - next trains) the better and get some revenue guys to excess the lot of them. (Seeing as you can't PF (Penalty Fare) them).

I think the inconvenience of an extra hour+ onto the intended 25 minute journey would be enough for one to double check in the future, rather than excessing (just my personal opinion).  It is something that would have to run non-stop every week, or it just causes confusion for all.

I have sympathy with SDS because of the abuse, but my vote would be with Super Guard as it is a more customer centred approach for those who made a genuine error.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2014, 21:26:42 »

Genuine error not to read departure boards and just assume?....hmm
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2014, 21:42:40 »

Genuine error not to read departure boards and just assume?....hmm

If you have got used to the idea that all HSTs (High Speed Train) stop at Reading or that the 19:15 stops at Reading on other days - Yes genuine error not looking at the departure boards.

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2014, 21:55:41 »

I have the feeling that this is one of those threads where contributors nay have to agree to disagree.

I am curious to know what contributors feel about the scenario where a clear PA (Public Address) announcement was made prior to departure from paddington stating that "this service is not scheduled to stop at Reading" . Should passengers who chose to ignore this be excessed?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2014, 21:57:15 »

Absolutely!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2014, 22:29:05 »

Still think that more than an hour's delay would be sufficient disincentive. Assuming they did get the train back!
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2014, 23:05:31 »

I have the feeling that this is one of those threads where contributors nay have to agree to disagree.

I am curious to know what contributors feel about the scenario where a clear PA (Public Address) announcement was made prior to departure from paddington stating that "this service is not scheduled to stop at Reading" . Should passengers who chose to ignore this be excessed?

After PAs are made and its shown as first stop SWI» (Swindon - next trains) then defo Excess with a threat that if they are caught again then prosecution could result!

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2014, 06:36:57 »

Because of the selfish nature of those who are deliberately ignoring the 'pick up' only rule that have been put in place for a reason, to allow those who are travelling long distance on less frequent services to be able to travel, I have no sympathy with anyone who ends up in Swindon or Taunton.

Sadly the only solution available to FGW (First Great Western) to stop this happening is to remove Reading stops on some peak time services. Yes that would be an inconvenience for those wishing to board at Reading, but as has been suggested travel on an earlier service and change onto the train that didn't stop at Reading further down the line.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2014, 07:12:41 »

Sadly the only solution available to FGW (First Great Western) to stop this happening is to remove Reading stops on some peak time services. Yes that would be an inconvenience for those wishing to board at Reading, but as has been suggested travel on an earlier service and change onto the train that didn't stop at Reading further down the line.

I'm going to state that my journey from London to Thatcham often requires a change at Reading and often the option of catching an earlier service isn't always available to me.

Having said that I feel there are enough service options to get me back to Reading without catching a service that May or May not stop at Reading allowing me to change for a local service
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2014, 07:28:02 »

That is not such much a problem for South Wales services where there are other services to Didcot or Swindon to catch the train - but still an inconvenience. However on the West of England run it is less easy. Apart from the fact most are pick up only at Reading at present so could potentially run non stop under your suggestion, those which aren't tend to run via Bristol so you'd either end up prolonging your journey even more or end up on a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Voyager.

I agree though something needs to be done - perhaps manual ticket checks on the platform?
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2014, 07:37:13 »

I agree though something needs to be done - perhaps manual ticket checks on the platform?

Block the staircases and switch all escalators into to "down"?

Elf and safety would have a field day !
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: