14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 14:22:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[154] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[47] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Person hit by a train at Southall - 30 June 2014  (Read 6614 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2014, 15:00:36 »

Reports of someone struck by a Heathrow Express train at Southall.

Nothing arriving or leaving Paddington at the moment.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 17:54:34 »

I'm currently on the 1735 to OXF» (Oxford - next trains) which left 12 late from Platform 7 (yes SEVEN) at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 21:58:31 »

From Get West London:

Local man killed at Southall Station after being hit by train

A local councillor has expressed sadness and concern over the frequency of similar incidents occurring at the station

A 37-year-old local man has been killed at Southall Station after being hit by a train.

The fatality has caused concern in the community with a councillor saying that incidents of this nature happen far too frequently at the station.

The West London train network was thrown into chaos just before rush hour yesterday after the tragedy caused delays and cancellations.

It is thought that the man died at the First Great Western managed Southall Station after being hit by a train at around 3pm.

First Great Western, South West Trains, the Heathrow Express and the A3005 South Road in Southall were all disrupted after the incident.

A British Transport Police spokesman said: ^Our officers are investigating an incident near Southall station yesterday afternoon, Tuesday, June, 30 where a man was hit by a train. We were called to the station at 2.45pm, along with London Ambulance Service. A 37-year-old local man was pronounced dead at the scene. His death is not being treated as suspicious.^

It is thought a man was hit by a Heathrow Express train although this has not be confirmed.

Councillor Kamaljit Dhindsa said: "Tragically a lot of incidents like this happen with far too much regularity at Southall Station. When something like this happens you always feel like more could have been done to stop it. This just happens far too frequently at this station and I will be paying a visit to the station manager myself to find out what measures they already have in place to prevent this from happening and whether more can be done to stop it in the future."

A spokesman from First Great Western said: "We work with Network Rail and the British Transport Police to minimise the risk of fatalities. We also run training courses for staff so that they can immediately recognise any potential risks at the stations."

Services in and out of Paddington were severely disrupted and the Heathrow Express was completely suspended from 3pm onwards as emergency services dealt with the fatality.

Train lines were reopened and train delays were reduced by 5:30pm. Heathrow Express trains were still experiencing delays of up to 10minutes at 6:30pm.

If you've been affected by what happened at Southall, or are worried and would like a confidential chat, call Samaritans: 08457 909090

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:55:49 »

I don't mean this with any disrespect but for the councillor to be pointing the finger at the railway industry for these incidents is very harsh.  These are not accidents.  With fences on the platforms to prevent access to the main lines a concerted effort is made by the individual who wishes to take their own life.
Instead of asking the train companies what they can do to prevent these happening maybe he should be asking himself and looking into why individuals of the Southall area get themselves into such a dark place mentally that they go to the station with the intention of taking their own life.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:55:12 »

I don't mean this with any disrespect but for the councillor to be pointing the finger at the railway industry for these incidents is very harsh.  These are not accidents.  With fences on the platforms to prevent access to the main lines a concerted effort is made by the individual who wishes to take their own life.
Instead of asking the train companies what they can do to prevent these happening maybe he should be asking himself and looking into why individuals of the Southall area get themselves into such a dark place mentally that they go to the station with the intention of taking their own life.

I know a number of councillors and they often come to the role just as people like you and me and many members here - taking an interest in and a little beyond.  Some of them go out and take a look at things beyond their initial level of knowledge to be informed and help, having come into the role naive.   Others come in with a party 'hat' and just act as they're told, or through some dogma that they've built over time.  Some have carefully thought through what the job will mean, other look like deer caught in headlights (perhaps not a good analogy here!) when they start.

I take heart that Kamaljit Dhindsa is asking "why".  I do hope he looks into the reasons that people bring themselves to the railway in order to take their own lives, as well as at how they do it, and whether extra measures would be effective or simply move the people to another way of achieving the same end.   And I'm sure he'll learn in asking that there is a lot already done and studied in the endgame section by the rail industry to reduce numbers.  I hope he discovers too why there's such a high number in certain areas who end up in that endgame, and is able to contribute in some way to a reduction.   The first thing for him to do is learning by asking, and that's where he is now.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 06:09:47 »

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/transport/rail-suicide-deaths-increasing.24643731?

THE number of deaths by suicide on the railways rose last year.

However, Samaritans and Network Rail have also said their partnership has saved lives.

The two organisations have announced that their partnership, which includes rail staff going on courses run by Samaritans, is being renewed for another five years.

There were 278 suicides on the railways last year compared with 268 in 2012. The number in 2011 was 224 and in 2010, when the partnership began, it was 232.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 06:27:22 »

I think you're being overly defensive, he's not blaming the "railway industry" he's just keen to see what measures are already in place to prevent suicides and what (if anything) more can be done to stop it in the future, he's right that there are a lot of suicides in that area so I'd say it's his responsibility as a local representative to look into all the whys and wherefores, and that includes measures at the station as well as social issues..........railways don't cause suicides, unfortunately (for all concerned) however they often unwittingly provide a means of taking one's own life.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 10:01:13 »

He isn't, as far as I can tell, a new Councillor, so I'm somewhat surprised that this hasn't crossed his radar before now.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 11:43:00 »

He isn't, as far as I can tell, a new Councillor, so I'm somewhat surprised that this hasn't crossed his radar before now.

He was Mayor of Ealing for 2013/14 and has apparently served the borough since 1998:

http://www.actonw3.com/shared/eacouncil173.htm

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 12:47:13 »

Quite.

Bit tardy on this, methinks. Is he up for re-election soon?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: