DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningShort Run
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 20:46:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot trains  (Read 25335 times)
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« on: July 17, 2014, 23:39:17 »

Well, I did say that I wouldn't moan about the air conditioning failures after getting my free ice cream today, BUT, something doesn't seem quite right. There have been many complaints on Twitter this week concerning the problem and it's made me think; I have made 11 journeys on FGW (First Great Western) Class 158 trains this week, and the air conditioning was only working on one of them (the 1840 from Salisbury today on which I travelled to Westbury). I have also made 8 journeys on SWT (South West Trains) Class 159 trains in the same period and the aircon was working on all of them. There is also obviously a similar problem on the HSTs (High Speed Train), from reading the tweets. Do the different operators have different priorities?
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 00:41:39 »

Well, I did say that I wouldn't moan about the air conditioning failures after getting my free ice cream today, BUT, something doesn't seem quite right. There have been many complaints on Twitter this week concerning the problem and it's made me think; I have made 11 journeys on FGW (First Great Western) Class 158 trains this week, and the air conditioning was only working on one of them (the 1840 from Salisbury today on which I travelled to Westbury). I have also made 8 journeys on SWT (South West Trains) Class 159 trains in the same period and the aircon was working on all of them. There is also obviously a similar problem on the HSTs (High Speed Train), from reading the tweets. Do the different operators have different priorities?

The FGW 158s are intensively used compared to the SWT 159s so yes, there are different priorities albeit forced onto FGW and that is to keep as many trains in service as possible.
There's also three different types of air con fitted to the 158s known Temperature, Ebac or Liebherr.  The FGW fleet is a mixture of Temperature and Liebherr.  There are drawbacks to each system, Temperature for example uses extensive amount of pipe work and connections which increases the risks of leaks and ultimately a loss of refrigerant.

HSTs again comes down to ensuring maximum availability of carriages although I believe its only Laira depot that handles major work to the air con units
The problem with the HST air con units is their design.  Due to the age they exhaust hot air out underneath the carriage (whereas more modern stock exhausts hot air through the roof of the train). Therefore, when the train sits in a platform with little air flow underneath the train the air con units basically start running hot and eventually trip out to prevent damage.  This can only be reset at a maintenance depot. The air con units are modular but obviously they can only be removed if there's a replacement to go back in. 

Turbos, air con modules are still under warranty.  They were fitted under an 'install and maintain' contract.  There were "issues" raised last under regards the "maintain" part of that contract (or so we heard). Modifications were made over the winter to these units which included replacing evap and condenser units as well as trying to increase air flow.  They already take a considerable amount of power off the engine but it's not powerful enough to overcome and cool an overcrowded vehicle.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:10:47 »

I had to ask for the windows to be unlocked on Wednesday morning on a 158 from Bristol TM(resolve) travelling down to Salisbury.  It was after Westbury before a staff member walked through the train.  Fine on the way back at 18:40.  (Won't identify the first train and therefore staff member).
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 09:45:03 »

I've never quite worked out how to get the windows unlocked by a member of staff on a Driver only turbo..
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 10:15:02 »

I've never quite worked out how to get the windows unlocked by a member of staff on a Driver only turbo..

I know, clever that!!  I have had station staff jump on and unlock the windows if they can do so without causing a delay. 

Even at scheduled stops on a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) train, very few people who get off the train even tells us the air con has failed. If no one tells us we can't unlock the windows during a turnaround, or at the very least, it gets reported. 
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:18:04 »

I know, clever that!!  I have had station staff jump on and unlock the windows if they can do so without causing a delay. 

Even at scheduled stops on a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) train, very few people who get off the train even tells us the air con has failed. If no one tells us we can't unlock the windows during a turnaround, or at the very least, it gets reported. 

Yeah it's not ideal.. I posted about it at the time but I was on a very hot train one Sunday last summer that made me feel quite ill in the end. I could have got off at Slough to ask the member of staff there who was shoe horning people onto an already overcrowded train if he could do so but a) he wouldn't have been able to get to the windows and b) I'd have lost my seat and most likely my place on the train too..
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 09:45:16 »

Mind  you it could be worse you could be stuck travelling on an optare solo which are terrible in the hot weather
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 00:01:39 »

The NBfL (New Bus for London) (New Bus for London, aka Boris Bus) I travelled on today appeared to have a consumptive gerbil coughing out the aircon.

It was a warm, damp and barely noticeable airflow.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 00:05:40 »

Roughly a third of Class 166 carriages have air-con working at the moment.  About the same as this time last summer.  Disappointing.  Though better than the 0% that were working before the system was replaced.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 00:36:21 »

The NBfL (New Bus for London) (New Bus for London, aka Boris Bus) I travelled on today appeared to have a consumptive gerbil coughing out the aircon.
Isn't that how the aircon worked in the 'Flintstones'?

Paul
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 06:20:29 »

New Bus 4 London doesn't have air conditioning,  so finding any would have been some fete!
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 10:36:41 »

New Bus 4 London doesn't have air conditioning,  so finding any would have been some fete!

I thought it did have air-conditioning as there are no opening windows but as it happens yesterday I travelled from White City to Victoria on one such bus on the 148 route and I was definitely sweating by the end of the journey, so I undertook a little research. It seems that this type of bus has an 'air-cooling' system supplied by the Dutch firm Heavac. There's some discussion about this on the Boriswatch site from last week:

http://www.boriswatch.co.uk/2014/07/16/the-new-routemaster-still-unable-to-cope-with-london-summers/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 12:43:16 »

That's not fayre!  Tongue Wink Grin

Point taken though. Air cooling system rather than air conditioning. Whatever it is, it was still little better than having a tuberculosis addled wheezing weasel breathing on you.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 16:43:04 »

That would explain why the conductors are always hanging out the back door of these buses when it is hot then!
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 19:18:11 »

Should any forum members be on the 1852 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to Westbury at the moment and are feeling chilly the heating is on in the rear coach specially for you!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: