22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 15:05:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[116] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[106] access for all at Devon stations report
[45] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[5] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot trains  (Read 25334 times)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 22:53:44 »

My suggestion to FGW (First Great Western).. Having read lots of recent communications from people about hot trains to them is (for the class 166's in my experience but I'm sure it's not limited to them)

1. Check the temperature of your trains at each terminus and more often if applicable and open the windows if any carriage gets too hot

2. IF that is not possible/feasible.. the windows being open HAS to be the default...I don't understand why it isn't the default...

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 23:10:09 »

My suggestion to FGW (First Great Western).. Having read lots of recent communications from people about hot trains to them is (for the class 166's in my experience but I'm sure it's not limited to them)

1. Check the temperature of your trains at each terminus and more often if applicable and open the windows if any carriage gets too hot

2. IF that is not possible/feasible.. the windows being open HAS to be the default...I don't understand why it isn't the default...

Because if air con is working open windows will make it less effective. So windows open should only be the default if defective air on is the default.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 00:39:48 »

Because if air con is working open windows will make it less effective. So windows open should only be the default if defective air on is the default.

1.  Checking the temperature at terminus stations can give a false impression, the air con isn't running at full potential when the train is stationary and with no power applied.  This is because there is no air flow to dissipate the heat and as a result, when the train is stationary it runs in its own heat the effect this has is the refrigerant then starts to break down causing an air con failure.

2.  Open windows results in the air con system working harder and considering the trains could be running 15+ hours a day you're increasing the risk of a failure through, potentially an overheating of the system. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:36 »

2. Indeed, open windows means the unit is trying to air condition the world, not just that coach. I'm amazed the general public don't understand that. Only windows open if the aircon Isn't functioning.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 12:11:21 »

I would repeat my earlier suggestion that the windows should be locked shut electrically when the air conditioning is working thereby giving the air conditioning more of a chance.

In case of failure, the windows could be unlocked and passengers be able to open them. This unlocking could be either automatic or manual.

When the air conditioning was mended someone would have to shut the windows since the electromagnet can not pull shut a window that is open, it can only lock an already shut window.

Electromagnets to hold a door or window shut or open are an established technology available from a number of suppliers.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 12:13:36 »

Won't happen while the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) controls the stock allocation....
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 12:19:42 »

Won't happen while the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) controls the stock allocation....

In which case, connect the thermostat of the office of the DfT stock allocator to one of the 166s.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 12:46:04 »

If only a third of units have air con that is working (as mentioned earlier in this thread), please tell me that the other two thirds do have their windows unlocked?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:42 »

Yes, they do.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 13:05:44 »

That is good then.. I do think it's almost worth giving up on keeping the air conditioning going to be honest.. It's been going on for so many years now and I don't really think the situation has improved in all that time and with all that effort put in
tom m

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 13:55:09 »

I do think it's almost worth giving up on keeping the air conditioning going to be honest.. It's been going on for so many years now and I don't really think the situation has improved in all that time and with all that effort put in

I have to agree, its been a long time since I have been on a turbo and noticed the a/c working properly as you would expect (windows open or closed). With the current GW (Great Western) franchise close to the end and new rolling stock on the horizon, I cant see any serious attempt to rectify the problem for current duties.

There have been several attempts to "fix" the problem in the past and jugging by the number of comments on this forum, it sounds like a fundamental design flaw with the system. Lets hope that the class 345 and whatever else replace them for do a better job and they resolve the issues with any refresh they do with the cascade west ( not sure if there is a refresh planned but they need them as they are really starting to look tired again).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 14:14:21 »

These were designed with no aircon, as all trains were not that long ago. Seriously, when I started commuting, you just opened the windows....

With any add-on after the event, the design is made to best-fit....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 14:21:02 »

The system, as I understand it, is still under warranty, so repairs/tests will continue.  There's usually at least one carriage where it's working.  A prolonged hot spell like we are currently in obviously stresses the system.  If they can work out why the system fails then there is a great little system in there - certainly better than the original one.

The 166s were designed to have an air-con system, but the original one installed was not up to the task, and IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) it was quite a late design change to have air-con installed, so the optimum design to allow it to work most efficiently probably wasn't worked out.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 14:27:17 »

As IndustryInsider says, the 166s have had aircon from day one.

It was the 165s which were designed without aircon, and as a result have over double the number of hopper windows.

In my opinion defeat should be admitted with the current 166 aircon. A totally new system should be fitted OR the remaining sealed windows should be converted to the hopper type.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 16:09:24 »

The system, as I understand it, is still under warranty, so repairs/tests will continue.  There's usually at least one carriage where it's working.  A prolonged hot spell like we are currently in obviously stresses the system.  If they can work out why the system fails then there is a great little system in there - certainly better than the original one.

The 166s were designed to have an air-con system, but the original one installed was not up to the task, and IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) it was quite a late design change to have air-con installed, so the optimum design to allow it to work most efficiently probably wasn't worked out.

"Prolonged hot spell"? It's been two weeks of seasonally warm weather with a few "hot" days at the most!!!  Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: