Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:30:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[101] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[87] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[32] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[31] access for all at Devon stations report
[19] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[16] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: poor weather conditions???? 26/7/14  (Read 6401 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:19:42 »

0718 from redruth towards Paddington cancelled due to poor weather conditions.

I might be completely oblivious, but we've been basking in glorious sunshine in Cornwall.

My 2237 from truro to redruth last night was around 25 late for same reasons.

One very confused person here as we've not seen poor weather for around 10 days!

I've noticed a number of other journeys cancelled for same reason.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 07:35:46 »

I heard they had a bit of a shower in the far east yesterday, seems to have affected the 0815 Swansea to Carmarthen, and the Swansea to Pembroke Dock services somehow too!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 07:37:05 »

I imagine it's due to the lightning strike at Twyford yesterday.. Journeycheck says

"Owing to the major disruption during Friday afternoon / evening, following the damage sustained by signalling equipment due to a lightning strike, many of our trains are not in the correct position for us to be able to operate a full service of long distance trains on Saturday morning"
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 07:38:47 »

0718 from redruth towards Paddington cancelled due to poor weather conditions.

I might be completely oblivious, but we've been basking in glorious sunshine in Cornwall.

My 2237 from truro to redruth last night was around 25 late for same reasons.

One very confused person here as we've not seen poor weather for around 10 days!

I've noticed a number of other journeys cancelled for same reason.

Big electrical storm in the Thames Valley yesterday afternoon which resulted in a lightning strike in the Twyford area at approx. 15:15 which took out all the signalling on both the Main and Relief Lines, all services (both TV locals and HSS (High Speed Services)) were effected all afternoon and evening and I believe still are this morning.

FGW (First Great Western) are also stating on their website that long distance services are impacted today because the stock is in the wrong place.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:16:55 »

Am on the 07:30 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). Will let you know of progress through Twyford Smiley

Bath Spa CIS (Customer Information System) boards were showing disruption between Slough and Reading again today Roll Eyes After brief discussions with staff there, I understand that yesterday was awful. I couldn't help but agree, yet sympathise Smiley

Also another storm predicted in London this Monday...!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 08:31:21 »

And the ultimate train formation update being reported on JourneyCheck:
11:30 Newquay to London Paddington due 16:33
Will be formed of 1 coach instead of 8 to Plymouth.
This is due to poor weather conditions earlier.
Show Further Information
Last Updated :26/07/2014 05:36

Should be cosy!

What would be wrong with "This is due to trains being out of position after last night's massive lightning strike on signalling equipment near Twyford, which wiped out our peak-hour services to and from Paddington"?
TRAINMAN57

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 09:02:06 »

Show Further Information

Should be cosy!

What would be wrong with "This is due to trains being out of position after last night's massive lightning strike on signalling equipment near Twyford, which wiped out our peak-hour services to and from Paddington"?
this service will be formed as an hst from plymouth to paddington.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:14:47 »

Show Further Information

Should be cosy!

this service will be formed as an hst from plymouth to paddington.

That will be "cosy" to the point of dangerous, there is no way all the passengers will be able to get on board............why not lay on some road transport to Plymouth?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:20:43 »

That will be "cosy" to the point of dangerous, there is no way all the passengers will be able to get on board............why not lay on some road transport to Plymouth?
I would like to think they will because as you say not everyone will be able to board a 1 coach train, not by a long way. Will staff at Newquay determine who does actually travel on this train?
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:25:50 »

Arrived London 4 minutes late.

With regards to the above. Anyone travelling beyond Par should be bustituted. Allowing those on intermediate stops to board.

Only going to Par or Penzance then travel by rail should be allowed. May need bus from Liskeard too Undecided

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 10:19:32 »

I would like to think they will because as you say not everyone will be able to board a 1 coach train, not by a long way. Will staff at Newquay determine who does actually travel on this train?

R U sure about the loading?

I'm playing devil's advocate here ... but I do note that it's the first Saturday of many school holidays and so the morning train from Newquay may still be "shoulder" rather than peak season.   And the days of Saturdays being regulated train after regulated train are long since gone.  Much more (thanks to Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership and others), traffic on lines like Newquay is much more even through the week;  I suspect that there would have been quite a goodly number of seats from Newquay, with the service building up as it runs through Cornwall and Devon, leading to a fullish 125 into Paddington today.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 10:41:37 »

I note that the 11.00 Penzance to Paddington is calling additionally at Par I assume to assist in picking up Newquay passengers?
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 11:17:50 »

This is not helping the public perception of the railways in the South West. After a winter of seemingly continual disruption, now a summer storm brings the entire service to a halt. Meanwhile, traffic flows freely along the roads, as it did all winter, too.

Yes, I understand what happened, but the vast majority of passengers care not a jot for the finer details, they just see yet another disruption.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 12:07:16 »

With regards to the above. Anyone travelling beyond Par should be bustituted. Allowing those on intermediate stops to board.

Only going to Par or Penzance then travel by rail should be allowed. May need bus from Liskeard too Undecided
The intermediate stops between Par and Newquay aren't served on Summer Saturdays.

The 11:30 only stops at Par, Plymouth, Exeter St David's and Reading. Which probably says something about the loadings.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 12:16:56 »

This is not helping the public perception of the railways in the South West. After a winter of seemingly continual disruption, now a summer storm brings the entire service to a halt. Meanwhile, traffic flows freely along the roads, as it did all winter, too.

Yes, I understand what happened, but the vast majority of passengers care not a jot for the finer details, they just see yet another disruption.

Has the entire service been bought to a halt in the SW?

I live near the A30 close to Exeter, and I can confirm traffic will not be flowing freely on summer saturdays on the roads - there's a reason all the locals use the slightly longer "old roads".  It's just chaos every weekend through the summer, and that's before they even get on the M5.

The intermediate stops between Par and Newquay aren't served on Summer Saturdays.

The 11:30 only stops at Par, Plymouth, Exeter St David's and Reading. Which probably says something about the loadings.

Nothing to do with loadings.  The same in reverse leaves PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) for NQY (Newquay (Station)) at 0736 on Summer Saturdays.  Penzance leaves 0730, you don't need 2 trains stopping everywhere within a short space of time.  You might as well have some 'fast' services where practicable.  The same applies for this 11:30 to PAD which is only 14mins behind the PZ-PAD at Plymouth.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: