19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
03:56 Swansea to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 07:30:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[69] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor Timekeeping: Didcot - Reading stoppers  (Read 5752 times)
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:19:04 »

It is becoming the norm that stopping trains run 5 - 10 minutes late between Didcot and Reading and vv.  The problem seems to a) the timetable and  b) driving technique.

NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s timetable is neither robust nor resilient. Up stoppers from Didcot are regularly delayed by southbound freights having priority at Didcot East J, and down stoppers (as A-Driver noted) are regularly held by northbound freights at Reading West J.  The grade separation works at Reading will do nothing to address these fundamental timetable weaknesses: what is needed is for NR to take a realistic view of freight train pathing, and maybe loop them more often to help timekeeping.  If a metal box has taken 3 weeks to come by boat from Japan and then comes up Southampton water at 8 knots or whatever, I can't really see that an extra 30 minutes to get to Trafford Park is going to make much difference.  NR needs to make a proper judgement of what needs to be done in terms of loop provision, train lengths and timings to ensure the timetable works.

The second point is driving technique.  I've noticed that Drivers are increasingly approach stations as if it's leaf season all year round: I've heard that FGW (First Great Western) are instructing them to coast more and use Notch 1 brake only (in Turbos).  If this is the case then the timetable needs to be amended to reflect the increased running times between stations.

There is nothing fundamentally difficult in producing a resilient timetable. I just wish that NR would do it for the RL's between Didcot and Reading.

edit: sorry mods, please move this to right section.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 11:50:37 »

The driving technique on Turbos has been to use a Step 1 brake application if for many years now, which superseded the original instructions when the units were first in service which was to use Step 2/3 initially to bring the speed down before actually drawing to a stand in Step 1.  However, there are an awful lot of trainee drivers in the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) ranks at the moment (too many for FGW (First Great Western) to sensibly handle, but that's another topic!), and PQA drivers (those that have recently qualified) are also quite large in number.  Both groups are a little more defensive than is necessary, but understandably so in many cases.  I do personally think that the training emphasis is a little too defensive though to be honest.

What doesn't help is the freight trains as you mention, and the fact that a 5 minute delay between Reading and Didcot still results in an on-time arrival at Oxford or London as the trains have recovery/pathing allowances at Didcot and Reading.

The grade separation at Reading will help a little though as without pathing the freight trains to also (supposedly) not conflict with main line trains should mean their route from Southcote through Oxford Road Junction and Reading West Junction will be easier to path.  Currently a freight pretty much precedes every down service from Reading West Junction and it's often waiting for a suitable gap in the main line service that then causes the freight to hold the stopper up.

Finally, the Up and Down Goods Loop between Reading West Junction and Scours Lane will be reinstated at the end of the work, so the flexibility to 'loop' those freight trains will once again be available to the signaller.  The loop was temporarily closed to allow the viaduct work to progress and that has really had a big impact.  It should be noted that it will be only one bi-directional goods loop rather than a separate up and down loop as before (with a single bi-di line to enter/exit it at the Tilehurst end), but that will still offer much increased flexibility over what there is now, especially when all the other improvements also help to ease congestion.

Coming the other way from Didcot is another matter though.  I've said before that after Reading and Oxford's layout has been improved, Didcot East Junction will become the main pinch-point.  Grade separation within 15 years anyone?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 13:33:17 »

It's also worth noting, and no one knows why this happens as it has been raised before, it that there is a difference of upto 4 minutes on some services between the WTT (Working Time-Table) and GBTT (Great British Time Table)

NR» (Network Rail - home page) aren't overly concerned with the timekeeping between Reading and Didcot because the stoppers can sit at Didcot for upto 10 minutes so effectively the train can still arrive at Oxford 'on time'.

I agree that driving style is overly defensive though.  The Turbo have a brake step 1, 2 and 3. They are there to be used and their use shouldn't be frowned upon.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 13:44:23 »

Coming the other way from Didcot is another matter though.  I've said before that after Reading and Oxford's layout has been improved, Didcot East Junction will become the main pinch-point.  Grade separation within 15 years anyone?

Late last year I was at a talk by Ben Venables, who is Programme Engineering Manager, Reading Station Area Redevelopment project (i.e. the boss). At the end, he said something about what he might do next - meaning the next big project. He didn't mention Oxford, but did give the Network Rail insiders' view that WRAH was a done deal and just working its was through the labyrinth of DfT» (Department for Transport - about). He reckoned it would start planning too soon for him to get in on it.

His nomination for the next big project was ... Didcot grade separation. His background is is track layouts, which may be a bit of a bias. However, I suspect his choice was based on where the next dominant capacity limit on the line is, as that's what justifies the big bucks needed to give him a really big project.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 16:16:41 »

His nomination for the next big project was ... Didcot grade separation. His background is is track layouts, which may be a bit of a bias. However, I suspect his choice was based on where the next dominant capacity limit on the line is, as that's what justifies the big bucks needed to give him a really big project.

That makes a lot of sense, and confirms my gut-feeling as well. I would suggest, however, that although it is a stand-alone project, it really only makes sense in conjunction with capacity increases in the Oxford station area; it being silly to increase capacity in one place if a few miles down the track there is still a bottle-neck which limits the use one can make of the new junction.

As has been noted in other places, the need for grade separation increases (i.e., the incidence of conflict increases) more than linearly with increasing numbers of trains using each branch. After the Reading area on the GW (Great Western) it is clear that, on train numbers alone, Didcot is the next in line. After that then I would think that Wootton Bassett and Westerleigh Junctions would be good candidates and possibly something between Filton and the Severn Tunnel to separate and join the Bristol and London flows.

I don't think grade separation at Swindon could be justified even with a train on the Kemble route every half-hour as trains joining and leaving the main line could be held in the station until the route is clear. The other candidate that is sometimes mentioned would be grade separation at Southcote Junction just south of Reading where the Reading - Newbury - Taunton line separates from the Reading - Basingstoke line. Although it would be a 'nice to have' I can't see anyone being able to justify it at the moment as Reading will have had just shy of ^1 billion spent on it over the past few years and other areas will complain if yet more is spent in the same area. In any event I think the new layout will have to shake down before anyone will be able to justify more expenditure. But if the number of container trains to and from Southampton continues to increase and the density of traffic on the Newbury route also increases in the next few years then grade separation here will also have to be investigated.

But first - Didcot...and, I hope, within 15 years!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 18:59:33 »

That makes a lot of sense, and confirms my gut-feeling as well. I would suggest, however, that although it is a stand-alone project, it really only makes sense in conjunction with capacity increases in the Oxford station area; it being silly to increase capacity in one place if a few miles down the track there is still a bottle-neck which limits the use one can make of the new junction.

Oxford Corridor Capacity Improvements (Project W006) is in CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019), and scheduled to complete in December 2018. Was that what you meant?
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 20:29:34 »

Oxford Corridor Capacity Improvements (Project W006) is in CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019), and scheduled to complete in December 2018. Was that what you meant?

Yes. My point was that it makes sense to do Oxford first and then Didcot rather than the other way around. I am aware that Didcot is not - yet - in the lists of approved and funded projects whereas Oxford will happen. I hope Didcot makes it into CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024).

As the Reading viaduct civils cost, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), about ^50 million I suspect that Didcot could come in around ^75-80 million but it all depends on how grade separated the design turns to to be. Will the Mains be grade separated or the Reliefs or maybe both? Will the grade separation lead only onto the avoiding lines or will a train on the Mains be able to reach the Relief line platforms without conflict (and vice versa)? And so on and so forth!

I only hope that NR» (Network Rail - home page) will still have funds for expansion in CP6.
ironstone11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 20:58:43 »

He didn't mention Oxford, but did give the Network Rail insiders' view that WRAH was a done deal and just working its was through the labyrinth of DfT» (Department for Transport - about).

WRAH stands for, please.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 21:33:30 »

Western Rail Access to Heathrow (which I thought was usually abbreviatd to WRAtH (Western Rail Access to Heathrow)).

As described here.

http://thamesvalleyberkshire.co.uk/wrath
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 22:40:05 »

WRAtH (Western Rail Access to Heathrow) added to the forum's Acronyms/Abbreviations page.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: