15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 17:02:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Imperial and/or metric units. Discussion on the use and teaching of  (Read 18098 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2014, 21:46:35 »

(the use of kph is because that is what the line speeds will be stated in also its my antidote to OD of Farage in the media this weekend  Grin )

No doubt though Electric train, like Mr Farage, you'll continue to enjoy the odd imperial pint.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 22:02:24 »

No doubt though Electric train, like Mr Farage, you'll continue to enjoy the odd imperial pint.  Tongue Wink Grin

I quite like litres, BNM.

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 18:42:44 »

Farage. Mm. French is it?

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 18:51:52 »

I quite like litres, BNM.

Bit too heavy to lift is a 1000ml stein. Although it does allow for fewer visits to the bar, but possibly more visits to the Gents.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 18:24:12 »

Why use km/h? There is nothing wrong with mph and indeed most drivers will be used to knowing these speeds, I see no benefit of changing.

I also find it difficult myself to imagine the km speeds on this forum as I have to switch to mph to compare it to me driving.

The only line where dual speeds are sensible is HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel), so any foreign stock can use it without having to have a mph speedo fitted.

Mph is miles better.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 18:42:00 »

Tell that to anyone under 30 & they'll tell you they did metric at school
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 19:20:20 »

41 years old here. And I did metric at skool.

However, ask me my mass in kilograms, or my height in metres, and I've no idea.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 19:36:24 »

10 years older and I started doing imperial and then moved to metric (with decimal currency thrown in) and I don't know my hectare from my kilogram...  Grin
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 19:48:53 »

May be we should use Rods, Bushels and Fortnights as the base units  Grin

Personally I am ambidextrous when it comes to imperial or metric, quit happy working in thous (1/1000") and I am in 1/10mm, although my ^Sd is a bit rusty now  Tongue

NR» (Network Rail - home page) are changing to metric because all the material is supplied in meters, Tonnes all the designs I deal with are in metric even to the extent that "construction mileage" in meters  Roll Eyes  Grin is marked out on site.  The change has been a slow burn but I feel the time is right to make the move on the railways to metric

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 19:56:46 »

Quite interesting, I am 60 years old, when I first started school we only learned metric, even our rulers were only marked in centimetres, we were taught not to try converting to imperial all the time as by the time we left school nobody would be using it. It was not until I was about 10 that we started to regularly learn feet and inches in addition. Presumably an educational experiment that quietly went down the pan.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 19:57:28 »

52 years old and I did metric at school. I still think in mph though and I can still convert Pounds and Pence to ^SD at the drop of a hat!

Oh and you'll also find km/h signs on NR» (Network Rail - home page) in the Sunderland area where Tyne & Wear Metro trains run on their tracks. Here's an example:

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 20:13:20 »

Quite interesting, I am 60 years old, when I first started school we only learned metric, even our rulers were only marked in centimetres, we were taught not to try converting to imperial all the time as by the time we left school nobody would be using it. It was not until I was about 10 that we started to regularly learn feet and inches in addition. Presumably an educational experiment that quietly went down the pan.

I am 57 and learnt both at school. (Though we were allowed to leave out the questions in rods poles and perches)

Personally I am ambidextrous when it comes to imperial or metric, quit happy working in thous (1/1000") and I am in 1/10mm, although my ^Sd is a bit rusty now  Tongue

I too can work in both sets of units.  When I started work the labourers could not (or pretended they could not) work in metric, so I would end up reading the drawing in mm doing the conversion and telling them what to do in ins.

Tonnes are easy as for all practical purposes 1 Ton = 1 Tonne! That conversion is not too challenging.

As for hectares I worked with someone who said he could never get on with them.  We then asked him to estimate an area from the plan. He could not. We then did so in Hectares. He could not understand how we did it until we pointed out that each one of those 100m grid squares on the site plan was 1 hectare. He was converted in an instant as no one could ever do the same for acres!

I am glad I never had to do engineering calculations in imperial units as there are so many factors to include for conversion of units.  Engineering is so much easier in SI units.

Also we thought 17.5% VAT (Value Added Tax) was a pain to work out in metric money, think how difficult it would have been in ^sd!

NR» (Network Rail - home page) are changing to metric because all the material is supplied in meters, Tonnes all the designs I deal with are in metric even to the extent that "construction mileage" in meters  Roll Eyes  Grin is marked out on site.  The change has been a slow burn but I feel the time is right to make the move on the railways to metric

However permission to be pedantic.  Meters are instruments we use to measure usage of electricity, gas or water and the like.  The SI unit of length is the metre.  The standard English dictionary of international standardisation is The Oxford English Dictionary not Websters!  The Americans might have more claim to set the spelling if they actually used the metre as a unit of measure.  
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 20:31:42 »

However permission to be pedantic.  Meters are instruments we use to measure usage of electricity, gas or water and the like.  The SI unit of length is the metre.  The standard English dictionary of international standardisation is The Oxford English Dictionary not Websters!  The Americans might have more claim to set the spelling if they actually used the metre as a unit of measure.  

I will color my language accordingly ................ don't to be sent to gaol  Roll Eyes or is it jail by the pedantic police  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 20:54:28 »

52 years old and I did metric at school. I still think in mph though and I can still convert Pounds and Pence to ^SD at the drop of a hat!

Oh and you'll also find km/h signs on NR» (Network Rail - home page) in the Sunderland area where Tyne & Wear Metro trains run on their tracks. Here's an example:

I'm 6 years older, and did LSD at school.* I was the first generation of physics students at my grammar school* to have the acceleration due to gravity at 9.81m/^ rather than 32 ft /s^. But I later worked in France briefly*, and think metric more than I do imperial*, except when driving, where I think in pints (one max)*. Occasionally, I get weighed in hospitals, and the nurse always looks at my weight in kilos, and says, "I'll translate that into rocks and quids for you (or whatever)", and I say don't bother, I work to kilos, which leaves them open-mouthed*, as not even teenagers do that. But calculating body mass index by dividing your weight in Kg by the square of your height in metres must be so much easier than the 19th century equivalent.

(*I'm not proud of everything I've done, although I enjoyed most of it at the time.)

Now, please!
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 21:10:44 »

I think we need to go easy here or one of our forum bosses will be splitting this off into a "Forum Members' ages and Units of Measurement" thread  Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: