Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:56:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[164] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Refreshed HSTs  (Read 6493 times)
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 20:19:25 »

Coach was always a un-reserved coach. In fact it was the only coach on a set that had no reserved seats. Has this changed and if so, when?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 20:32:10 »

No scum in first!

Its not that

Its just if I have paid full price for a first class ticket, i dont expect space to be taken by people who havent

To my mind, it doesnt matter if there are seats available

At the moment I am on a HST (High Speed Train) with a full set of four seats to myself.  If there are passengers with first tickets to sit there - then fine. 

However, the extra space to my mind is a perk and I wouldnt be too happy having to cramp up to allow a standard class passenger to sit there unless they paid for the privalege.
I share your sentiments! I hate it when i'm sat on a train off duty and loads of people who are sat around me are blaitently travelling for free!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 00:35:31 »

If the Worcester-London journey referred to is by any chance on the 08.37am from Foregate Street, then since the timetable change the guards are usually careful to announce that standard class coach D reservations have been placed in C. May be the case that by late February, this service will be 125-worked anyway, though it's starting to feel as though it may be one of the last Adelante diagrams to go.

And why no First Minute fares? If it is the 8.37, that's easy. There's no problem filling this train, as it's the first one of the day from Worcester and the Cotswolds that CDRs (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')), Network Railcards and Cotswold Railcards are valid on. Hence no need to offer dirt-cheap tickets. It's a bit quiet just now as it's post-Christmas, but in school holidays and the summer, Adelantes on this service can be full and standing beyond Charlbury - pity those trying to join at Oxford.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 07:39:02 »

Its just if I have paid full price for a first class ticket, i dont expect space to be taken by people who havent

I have a degree of sympathy with you. I sit in second class having paid full fare - perhaps able to take advantage of some marketing discount, but I don't have a forces card, nor an employee discount, nor a student card, an unemployed card, a senior citizens card, a disabled persons card. I'm a UK (United Kingdom) resident so can't get myself a Britrail pass, and so on. I'm sure it costs the train company just as much to carry them (more in some cases, when you think about it - special facilities needed, more customer support needed, and so on ...) and yet they get the cheapened travel.  And I pay the tax that indirectly subsidises their travel as well as the higher fare!

But it's the way the system works and a propsal that said "one fare for all - 2 pound per ticket sold + 38p/mile (standard class) or + 50p/mile (first class) for everyone ... prior to providing marketing adjustments such as some cheaper rates off peak, and some adjusted mileages to allow a higher fare for the Tamar bridge, Severn Tunnel, etc." would probably get howls of protest!  I would, though, couple it with things like proper pension provision .... and I'm sure I'll find my fellow moderators telling me I'm going way off topic and into politics  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 13:16:22 »

and I'm sure I'll find my fellow moderators telling me I'm going way off topic and into politics  Wink
Would we ever do such a thing?  Wink
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 16:27:02 »

Coach was always a un-reserved coach. In fact it was the only coach on a set that had no reserved seats. Has this changed and if so, when?

D is now the family CarnageCoach!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 17:28:42 »

No scum in first!

Its not that

To my mind, it doesnt matter if there are seats available

At the moment I am on a HST (High Speed Train) with a full set of four seats to myself.  If there are passengers with first tickets to sit there - then fine. 

However, the extra space to my mind is a perk and I wouldnt be too happy having to cramp up to allow a standard class passenger to sit there unless they paid for the privalege.
I share your sentiments! I hate it when i'm sat on a train off duty and loads of people who are sat around me are blaitently travelling for free!

Should I point out the obvious?  Grin

Even if you are staff!!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 18:35:29 »

I may be staff but I have a RIGHT to free travel and I pay tax on my free travel (it's reflected in my tax code as it's a privilege of my employment)! The people who fare dodge do not have the right to travel for free!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 19:05:57 »

I wasn't critisising you!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 22:11:39 »

Fair comment, vacman: as a fare-paying passenger, I too get well and truly tee'd off with those who should pay but don't!

Hopefully, d_m, you're back on vacman's Christmas card list now!  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: