Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 03:35 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 03:38:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: On fare collection observations this weekend  (Read 4969 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 31, 2014, 15:28:48 »

Glory be!   "I can't wait" for a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) capable of issuing advance tickets to be installed at Melksham.

A newcomer to rail travel joins the train this morning with confirmations of his advance ticket to [somewhere in Wales] and asks conductor if he can collect them at Swindon where he changes.   Dispensation allowed, but newcomer is told that it's a concession being made this time and he should have had them delivered by post, or collected them the day before from Chippenham or Trowbridge.  A gentle reminder of how unfriendly the system is to people who want to book to travel a day or two ahead (when post isn't an option) from a station where tickets cannot be collected on departure ...

Of course, there are three stations on the TransWilts that don't have a TVM ... Trowbridge (where there is significant fare loss at time the ticket office is closed on journeys to Bradford-on-Avon and Westbury, as the train manager can't get round) and Dilton Marsh as well as Melksham, and I note that even if there's a TVM there can be problems. I note at Didcot today:

Didcot Parkway: Ticket Office problem At Didcot Parkway station.
Ticket Office problem
Additional Information:
The Ticket Office is unable to process pre paid tickets due to a technical fault, please can passengers collect their tickets via the ticket vending machines.

and then

Didcot Parkway: Ticket Vending Machine problem The ticket vending machines are out of order at Didcot Parkway station.
Additional Information:
Please purchase tickets at the ticket office or on train when no other means of purchasing is available.

Conductor on yesterday's TransWilts train ... again unable to get round to see all the passengers who needed tickets before the train arrived at the next station.  On lines where intermediate stations have just the occasional passenger, that may not be an issue.   On lines where there is a considerable passenger turnover at every stop, it's a real issue.

Sitting waiting at Trowbridge station, mid afternoon yesterday, I lost count of the number of people coming along to use the loo - only to find it was locked.  Yes, I know why ... but I don't know why there isn't a little sign on the door explaining that all trains that call have toilets on board.

Come to think of it, should there be information at Melksham station explaining the lack of toilets there?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 15:51:21 »

Seems to be a few stations with various ticket office / machine problems today.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 16:14:41 »

On the matter of collecting prepurchased tickets, in Italy, the train guards are issued with this revolutionary new device called a smartphone.  Just a standard Android phone with a camera.

Customers can buy their tickets online and either print the ticket or write down the code.  The barcode can be scanned using the telephone's camera or the code entered into an app on the phone.  The phone then uses the train's wifi (on intercity services) or 3G (on regional trains) to check the ticket validity.  Takes just a few seconds and no paper tickets are needed.  The system isn't particularly complex and I don't see why we can't have something similar here.

They also carry a small bluetooth printer (which just prints on normal till roll) and can offer a printed receipt for the journey (e.g. for business expenses).  They can even sell tickets and take credit/debit cards through the smartphone.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 17:27:15 »

Out of interest when I arrived home at Plymouth last night at 2240 (Saturday 30 August) the ticket gates were closed and manned Grin.  Quite a few late night travellers caught out without tickets Grin Grin.
This is the first time I have ever come across the barriers being manned that late at night in 30 odd years of travelling through there!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 17:43:04 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 17:37:27 »

You will start seeing this a lot more now that FGW (First Great Western) collect 100% of the fare box/revenue and don't have to send any to the DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about).

PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) has barriers on 34 24hrs now
RDG(resolve) has had the hours extended (although why tell everyone via a public poster defeats the object)
Hearing rumours that BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) is to be extended as well.
talk of other major stations being permanently extended.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 19:03:38 by SDS » Logged

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 17:51:51 »

FGW (First Great Western) have also been tweeting that additional Ticket Collection machines have been installed in the SW, specifically (that I've seen) Exeter SD & PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 17:57:52 »

PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) has barriers on 34hrs now

A 34 hour day - that should help with delay attribution  Grin

RDG(resolve) has had the hours extended (although why tell everyone via a public poster defeats the object)

I don't agree - given the barriers are manned for the greater part of the day I think it is a good idea to advertise the fact so law abiding customers at least feel steps are being taken to stop those who openly abuse the system day in and day out.  In fact you could always be a bit sneaky and stick a few RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) out during the "out of hours" period.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 18:02:54 »

talk of other major stations being permanently extended.
Are the gatelines at Newport and Cardiff the responsibility of ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))?  If so, do we know if they are also extending the hours of operation?
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 19:01:25 »

PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) has barriers on 34hrs now

A 34 hour day - that should help with delay attribution  Grin

I don't agree - given the barriers are manned for the greater part of the day I think it is a good idea to advertise the fact so law abiding customers at least feel steps are being taken to stop those who openly abuse the system day in and day out.  In fact you could always be a bit sneaky and stick a few RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) out during the "out of hours" period.

You will catch more people out by not advertising the 'real' closing (or opening up) times. Most of the scroats will see the sign and just hang around till the gates get opened up. If you dont advertise, like pad hasn't then the about of people you catch out will increase. I understand that the first 2 weeks were a purely educational exercise warning people and selling normal tickets. Then PFs (Penalty Fare), MG11s (Form to take a statement for use in court) will be issued.

34 hour days may help with DA (District Attorney), but it wont help with OT payments!!! Same as when the clocks get adjusted staff will moan about loosing that extra hours pay so adjustments have to be manually added. Also when you work a premium day when does it start? 00:00? 04:00?

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 21:16:03 »

Of course, the railway day is already 28^ hours long for ticket validity purposes.  Tongue

And yes, Bristol Temple Meads gateline hours are to be (or may already have been) extended.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 17:02:29 »

Of course, the railway day is already 28^ hours long for ticket validity purposes.  Tongue

And yes, Bristol Temple Meads gateline hours are to be (or may already have been) extended.

Ah but if you have a special staff boxes ticket anything after 22:00hrs is to be treated as the next day so you could add another 2 hours to that rule!!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: