Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:02:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Size matters: Which airlines are best for hand baggage?  (Read 17461 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: September 13, 2014, 20:04:43 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Size matters: Which airlines are best for hand baggage?

Will it fit? The question, and the anxiety behind it, is familiar to every air traveller in the 21st century.

For who can say they have not inwardly trembled as an airline official directs them to the measuring cage - knowing they may face a hefty surcharge?

Such is the variation in the maximum dimensions for cabin baggage, that passengers might now logically chose to have a different suitcase for every airline.

According to a BBC survey of 17 major European airlines, the Spanish carrier Iberia is the most generous for cabin baggage, and the UK (United Kingdom) airlines Thomas Cook and Thomson are the meanest.

One surprise is that the low cost airline Ryanair is not at the bottom of the list, in spite of its previous reputation for high baggage and other charges.

Easyjet's position in the table is less clear cut. It will allow a relatively large cabin bag, and is one of the few airlines not to impose a formal weight limit. But passengers are also advised to take a smaller bag - to avoid the possibility of the bag being put in the hold at the last minute.

Typically, carriers will let you stow a bag up to 55cm tall, 40 cm wide and 20 centimetres deep. Remember these are not the sizes of the empty bag when you buy it. It has to fit the frame when fully packed - and that includes the handles or any other sticky out bits.

When it comes to the weight of your hand baggage, some airlines will allow you anything you can comfortably lift. Others allow just five kilogrammes. And beware: Many older bags can weigh as much as five kilogrammes before you even put anything in them.

You may get away with it and breeze onto the plane with far more than you are allowed. But it is a risk. You could well have your dimensions tested at the gate - in which case breaking the well-advertised rules could land you with a hefty supplement of some ^50.

Frank Brehany is the consumer director of HolidayTravelWatch, an organisation that aims to help holidaymakers with travel problems. He says if anything there are too few checks being carried out at the gate. That is because out-sized bags can cause injury to other passengers. There have been occasions when consumers have reported an injury as a result of a heavy item falling down on arrival," he says. "Others have been hurt because the owner cannot manage the weight of the bag. The weight can even cause the overhead bin to open."

To make matters worse, the rules are not always enforced consistently.

Sean Tipton from ABTA - the travel association - says it often depends on the airline staff member at the boarding gate. "Some seem to be more lax than others, but you can't rely on that. Check out the policy first, because if you do get caught out we are talking about a substantial amount of money," he says.

The industry defends the inconsistency in hand baggage allowances, saying it is a direct result of the wide variation in the amount of space in the overhead bins on different aircraft. This argument is weakened by the fact that most carriers fly several different aircraft types. But there is likely to be little appetite within the industry for uniform size restrictions.

"I am absolutely convinced the airlines would object to the proposal. And MPs (Member of Parliament) and the government would support this," says Frank Brehany.

Nevertheless, to ensure it is not your luggage that is squeezed out when all the overhead lockers are full, do get to the boarding gate in good time. Suffering the indignity of having to turn out your possessions in public - or even having them shoved into the hold at the last moment is not going to be the best start to your trip.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 20:23:34 »

I'm flying hand luggage only with Ryanair in October from Bristol, and am allowed 55x40x20 cm for my bag plus one smaller piece which I've forgotten the dimensions.

What I've noticed is all the suitcases advertised as hand luggage size in shops are 55x40x25cm. I can't find any airline allowing bigger than the 20cm dimension though.

I can't complain at Ryanair to be fair though looking at the overall picture. I'm taking my daughter to see my grandad in Crete at half term and it's cost me less than ^100 return each (including paying the extra for pre booked seats). Easyjet from London or Manchester wanted close to ^400 return each. Thomson came up at ^600 each return!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 21:33:22 »

I'm flying hand luggage only with Ryanair in October from Bristol, and am allowed 55x40x20 cm for my bag plus one smaller piece which I've forgotten the dimensions.

What I've noticed is all the suitcases advertised as hand luggage size in shops are 55x40x25cm. I can't find any airline allowing bigger than the 20cm dimension though.

I can't complain at Ryanair to be fair though looking at the overall picture. I'm taking my daughter to see my grandad in Crete at half term and it's cost me less than ^100 return each (including paying the extra for pre booked seats). Easyjet from London or Manchester wanted close to ^400 return each. Thomson came up at ^600 each return!

Last time I bought a new suitcase they had a list of all airlines current requirements and a colour coding system to identify which ones met these requirements.  Can't remember the name of the store but it was in the outlet village in Swindon.

As for the high prices by Easyjet and Thomson  - this shows that their flights are nearly full!  Perhaps Ryanair is not nearly full - wonder why that might be? 
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 21:52:30 »

Last time I bought a new suitcase they had a list of all airlines current requirements and a colour coding system to identify which ones met these requirements.  Can't remember the name of the store but it was in the outlet village in Swindon.

As for the high prices by Easyjet and Thomson  - this shows that their flights are nearly full!  Perhaps Ryanair is not nearly full - wonder why that might be? 

The Ryanair flight is into a small airport on Crete. The main airport where Brits go is Heraklion about 150km away. I'm flying into chania. Chania is more convenient for me to get to my grandads, Ryanair have 3 flights each way that week, compared to the other operator having 1 each way. Ryanair are now coming up at just short of ^250 each return.

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:48:19 »

I have a canvas wheelie bag which I bought for less than ^20 on line with the dimensions 50 X 40 X 20 printed very large into the fabric. It is robust light , and is just the job.. When i was at the bottom of the steps about to board the easyjet plane at La Rochelle I was called over .....and the look on the easyjet attendants face as I slowly turned the bag round, was priceless !.
Highly recommended!
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 09:54:02 »

I would issue a note of caution if you're flying with Flybe, and particularly their franchise operators.

Their aeroplanes, the Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 turboprop and Embraer regional jets, all feature "4 across" cabins and smaller overhead luggage bins (due to the narrower fuselage) than you will find in an Easyjet or Monarch Airbus, or a Ryanair Boeing 737.

Their franchise operators, Loganair (mainly inter-Scotland flights) and Stobart Air (mainly flights on ATR turboprops to/from Southend) have even smaller limits, due to the limitations of the aircraft types used.

These smaller sizes are clear in all their publicity, as detailed below:

Cabin bag allowance

Flights operated by:   
Flybe
55 x 40 x 23cm, 10kg
Stobart Air
49 x 37 x 22cm, 7kg
Loganair
40 x 35 x 18cm, 6kg

Although these appear to be similar limits (for Flybe themselves, at least) I know from personal experience that the height of the bag at 23cm is a physical limit on the Q400, for example, it will literally just fit at that height (whereas it will fit with plenty of room to spare in an Airbus or Boeing).
basset44

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 11:36:04 »

Hi All,
Just flew to Warsaw Modlin with Ryan Air was a bit apprehensive has it was my first time
Bought a bag from Tesco Direct which is one of the lightest because Ryan Air has a weight limit of 10Kg it is currently out of stock http://www.tesco.com/direct/it-luggage-worlds-lightest-suitcase-black-small/307-2511.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=307-2511
It fits the dimensions but you must not overfill it.
The other bag could be a medium carrier bag.
There was no problem with this bag

Basset
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:48:40 »

Hi All,
Just flew to Warsaw Modlin with Ryan Air was a bit apprehensive has it was my first time
Bought a bag from Tesco Direct which is one of the lightest because Ryan Air has a weight limit of 10Kg it is currently out of stock http://www.tesco.com/direct/it-luggage-worlds-lightest-suitcase-black-small/307-2511.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=307-2511
It fits the dimensions but you must not overfill it.
The other bag could be a medium carrier bag.
There was no problem with this bag

Basset

How did you find Ryanair - its my first time 6 weeks from today with them

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 11:54:42 »

I have just packed for a flight this week with Ryanair.  Noticed that the case expanded to about 23cm depth when full.  It will most likely squash into the metal cage at the airport, but I have also packed a small cotton bag so I can decant some clothing if needed and use this as my "small second bag".  Annoyingly, on my return, my case will have to be checked in as Air Berlin have a 8kg limit.

Only once have I ever seen Ryanair weighing cases at the boarding gate, at Gdansk in Poland, where they had scales at all the low cost airline gates.  In Bologna, there is an additional machine at the security entrance which measures and weighs your luggage before opening a glass door into the security area if you are compliant with your airline's regulations (it knows who you are flying with as the boarding pass has to be scanned in the machine first).

How did you find Ryanair - its my first time 6 weeks from today with them
I'm a fairly regular Ryanair traveller.  They are not much different to other airlines, except they will try to sell you lots (but of course you don't have to buy it).  Just make sure you comply with the rules (print your boarding pass before arriving at the airport and make sure your luggage is compliant) and you will have a hassle free journey.  You can take your own food on-board to eat if you prefer not to pay their high prices (^3 for a cup of tea/coffee and about ^5 for sandwiches).  I've actually had some of my most comfortable flights on Ryanair.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 16:18:24 »

And they're famous for punctuality
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 10:47:11 »

I've used Ryanair a lot from various UK (United Kingdom) airports to Spain and they're fine as long as you play by their rules.
One thing that was different this year was a lot of people being forced to put their carry on in the hold (at no charge) because the flight 'was full'.
There is plenty of press on this, eg http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10843238/Ryanairs-baggage-policy-angers-passengers.html largely blaming it on the new policy of being allowed a 2nd small carry on item.
We were hit with this on both legs of our holiday this year and ended up having to put one carry on in the hold (there being three of us).
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 15:17:52 »

And they're famous for punctuality

Something called padding, think they use that in the railway as well ? ? ?  :-p

And [play message 101] "TA DAH ANOTHER ONTIME RYANAIR FLIGHT. LAST YEAR WE WERE THE MOST..........." the annoying touch down message.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 17:51:47 »

I've used Ryanair a lot from various UK (United Kingdom) airports to Spain and they're fine as long as you play by their rules.
One thing that was different this year was a lot of people being forced to put their carry on in the hold (at no charge) because the flight 'was full'.
There is plenty of press on this, eg http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10843238/Ryanairs-baggage-policy-angers-passengers.html largely blaming it on the new policy of being allowed a 2nd small carry on item.
We were hit with this on both legs of our holiday this year and ended up having to put one carry on in the hold (there being three of us).

It gave a warning when I booked that they can only take 90 hand luggage sized suitcases and any further will be checked in free of charge.

basset44

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 19:32:53 »

Hi richwarwicker,

The flight was fine in-fact I have no concern now I flown with them about going again, okay has others have said follow the rules and you shouldn't have a problem.

I see you booked seats have you also done priority boarding?

I did not my seat allocated out was an aisle seat number 18 and I was able to take my case aboard my ticket allocated back was a middle seat I paid ^7.50 to change to aisle seat at Stansted again seat 18.

When I went through passport control at Warsaw Modlin Ryanair staff came along the crowd looking at Boarding Passes and Sticking hold tags on bags with a copy attached to the boarding pass.

I had this and had to deposit my bag to some baggage handlers near the plane, by the time I had gone through passport control at Stansted my bag was on the baggage belt.

I worried over nothing everything was fine okay they not BA» (British Airways - about) , Lufthansa etc but they beat Wizz Air and for the price I am looking to fly again this time from Bristol.

Basset

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 20:12:30 »

Thank you Basset44. I didn't bother with priority boarding, we all get on the plane. I have seats 6E and 6F both ways. It looks like my flight may be quiet as only 4 other seats were showing already reserved. I'm travelling with my daughter so wanted to be sure we had good seats together.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: