Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 01:15 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 01:33:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: End of the line for Europe's iconic night trains?  (Read 11183 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: September 14, 2014, 22:36:32 »

Fom the Guardian:

End of the line for Europe's iconic night trains?

The sleeper service is being phased out across the continent as operators are hit by hefty taxes and rise of budget airlines

The Night Riviera, a sleeper train operated by First Great Western and one of only two sleeper services in the UK (United Kingdom) ^ the other being the Caledonian Sleeper. Photograph: Martin Godwin for the Guardian

To their fans, night trains sum up the best of the European project. They are time efficient, environmentally sustainable, and irresistibly romantic: you go to sleep in one country and wake up in another, possibly having made friends along the way.

In public at least, Europe's politicians and railway companies agree: in December 2009, many of them ceremonially boarded a specially commissioned "Climate Express" from Brussels to the UN climate summit in Copenhagen.

Yet five years later, sleeper trains are being silently phased out across the continent, while countries elsewhere in the world are modernising their services.

Deutsche Bahn, the German rail provider, confirmed this month that its City Night Line sleeper trains on the Climate Express route would cease from 1 November, while the night train that connects Paris to Berlin, Hamburg and Munich will be stopped from December. The Amsterdam to Prague and Warsaw sleeper will be cut back to run from Cologne to Warsaw and Prague.

The Elipsos night train from Paris to Barcelona and Madrid ^ launched in 1969 with ground-breaking technology, allowing carriages to switch between multiple track gauges ^ was discontinued in December.

Thello, a joint venture between Trenitalia and France-based Transdev, in December scrapped its sleeper train between Rome and Paris, the continent's most romantic capitals. Passengers now have to make at least one change en route, usually at Turin or Milan. Services from Berlin to Warsaw and Kiev, as well as the weekly Sibirjak service to Siberia, have also been withdrawn recently.

"The EU» (European Union - about) is professing its investment in rail services," Mark Smith, who runs the award-winning Man on Seat 61 railway blog, told the Guardian. "But, in reality, it seems to be actually shifting traffic to the airways."

German rail services cite declining passenger numbers, caused by the rise of low-budget airlines, as the main reason for phasing out services. A spokesperson from Die Bahn said its night-train customers had fallen by 25% over the past five years, while its three least profitable sleeper lines had turned a loss of ^12m. Julio G^mez-Pomar, the president of Renfe, Spain's state-owned company which operates freight and passenger trains, has said that some of its night services had been cut because they were circulating with empty coaches.

A spokesperson for Trenitalia, which has in recent years reduced the number of domestic sleepers connecting the south of the country to the north, said: "In the last 10 years there has been a reduction in night-train services, both in terms of the public resources earmarked for their running and because of the gradual decrease in their use, which has suffered a big decline connected to the arrival of low-cost flights, competition from coaches and the launch of the high-speed network."

Sleeper trains are undoubtedly more expensive to run than day services. For a start, they hold fewer passengers: a typical sleeper carriage carries 36 people, as opposed to 70 on a seating-only train.

In addition, since 2000 train services have had to pay track access charges as they cross borders, with additional administration and negotiations required to work out precise costs.

In Germany, train companies further complain that they are burdened by eco taxes and VAT (Value Added Tax) on ticket sales from which airline operators are exempt.

Yet campaigners, many of whom rely on sleeper services as they choose not to fly for environmental reasons or cannot do so on health grounds, claim that rail providers' complaints about declining passenger figures are a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Since train companies have for years failed to invest in more comfortable carriages, overnight train journeys have for many lost their appeal. When the Paris to Berlin sleeper was launched in 2000, it had a dining car and onboard chef. These days, passengers on the same route can only buy microwave meals to eat on their laps.

While plane tickets can be bought cheaply months in advance, night train schedules are often changed at short notice due to overnight engineering works. Loco2, a UK booking agency for pan-European rail journeys, said it had seen a lot of demand for night trains, but was allowed by Deutsche Bahn to sell tickets only for its day services.

"There's no basis to the argument that sleeper trains are outmoded per se," said blogger Jon Worth, who has launched a petition to save the Copenhagen night train. Britain has announced upgrades to its Caledonian and London-Penzance sleeper services, while China and Russia have invested in new night-train carriages, he pointed out.

"Railways are still the most environmentally sustainable and comfortable way of getting around Europe. You cannot expect people to spend a day on a train ^ you can expect them to spend a night."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:49:04 »

Glad I managed to travel on the Paris - Munich sleeper earlier this year. It was a Tuesday night at the end of March, and there were a lot of passengers boarding in Paris.

No restaurant or buffet car, so not one of the greatest travel experiences. But we'd armed ourselves with a picnic, so it didn't matter too much.

There was a breakfast, in a carrier bag - again not great. Made up for that by having a proper Bavarian breakfast in the bar at Munich Hbf while we waited for our onward connection.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:24:12 »

How busy is the Night Riviera generally speaking?
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 15:08:01 »

Ive done a few european sleepers many years ago.

Most of the Night Zug and did the Elipsos train before that got pulled. Too be honest the loadings were not that great.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 21:08:07 »

Having just (Saturday 13/09) returned home from an excellent 12-day trip across Europe using trains, including one sleeper, for the entire return journey - we used Easyjet to get to our starting point and I was singularly unimpressed - I regard this as extremely disappointing news.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 22:24:42 »

In my experience the Friday night and Sunday night services usually leave pretty much full. Out of the summer period it's usually possible to get a berth on the day of travel the rest of the week.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 23:05:21 »

In my experience the Friday night and Sunday night services usually leave pretty much full. Out of the summer period it's usually possible to get a berth on the day of travel the rest of the week.

Aren't they getting to the stage of adding extra carriage(s) on some nights, which must say something positive about the loads.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:38:00 »

Very healthy since FGW (First Great Western) actively marketed it and introduced the TVs, extra coaches at weekends etc and before Dawlish. Not sure how it has fared since Dawlish reopened?

Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 19:55:58 »

Up direction, Sunday, Monday normally full, with Tuesday busy and the rest of the week hit or miss.
Down direction, Sunday can be busy, but Thursday/Friday pretty much always full.  Wednesday getting busier too.

*Extra coach currently on Sunday up/Friday down.

Waiting lists are normally in operation for people who haven't booked on the full nights, when booked customers don't turn up.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 21:58:05 »

A further opinion piece on the original topic subject, from the Guardian:

I^m fighting to save night trains ^ the ticket to my daughter^s future

Rail is by far the greenest way to travel, so why on earth are Europe^s sleeper services being cut?

Back in May I was on a sleeper train between Paris and Berlin, chewing on a biro and filling out a questionnaire. As the sun set across the rolling hills of the French countryside, I assiduously answered question after question about how often I used night trains and how I felt about the standard of service. I was hopeful that the questionnaire heralded a new era of growth in this crucial service. I couldn^t have been more wrong.

This month Germany^s state railway provider, Deutsche Bahn, confirmed it has decided to terminate a large number of overnight services, including the lines from Copenhagen to Basle/Amsterdam/Prague, and Paris to Hamburg/Berlin/Munich. The network cites low income, high overheads, losses of millions of euros and slow growth.

I stopped flying in 2011. At the time, I was working with the scientist Stephen Emmott, developing a show, Ten Billion, about population growth, climate change and the environmental changes taking place as a result of human activity. The project made me realise that if I wanted to change the way the world worked, I had to change something about how I lived. Specifically, I had to change the way I travelled: I was in the middle of a period of intense work in theatres and opera houses across mainland Europe, taking more than 40 flights a year.

As the environmental mobility check on Deutsche Bahn^s website will tell you, carbon dioxide emissions from a one-way London-Paris trip amount to 3.2kg by train, 74.6 kilograms by car and 72.1 kilograms by plane. London to Berlin is 7.7kg by train, 180kg by car and 126.5kg by plane.

At first, I started travelling by day. Once a week I took the first train out of London on Monday at 6.50am ^ arriving in Cologne at 12.15pm ^ then the last train back on Friday night. It didn^t feel that much longer than flying, if you include the time it takes to get to the airport. The effort involved also had the added return of intellectual satisfaction ^ I had made the effort to do something about my carbon emissions.

In 2012 I started work in Berlin, and the effort to reach my destination increased. The fastest route from London to Berlin means leaving at 6.25am and arriving in Berlin at 5pm ^ about 12 hours travelling and two connections. Later I travelled for work to Hamburg, Vienna and Salzburg (taking my journey times sometimes up to around 16 hours). These long trips were physically exhausting and my commitment to train travel began to waver.

That^s when I discovered City Night Line overnight trains, which revolutionised my pan-European travel. I could take the CNL train from Berlin Hauptbahnof at 00.27 and arrive in London (via Cologne and Brussels) at 11.57. Furthermore, overnight trains reduced the number of changes I had to make, meaning I was no longer vulnerable to delayed or cancelled trains.

Gradually, I fell in love with the strange new world of night train travel. Most of the time the trains move relatively slowly, and in the early hours of the morning there are often long periods where they just stand around in a station somewhere. Many of the night trains were built in the 80s, and the experience isn^t unlike riding an old steam train. Although I love the smooth speed of the spacious ICE trains or the double-layered TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse), there is nothing like the comforting chug of these night trains as they crawl across Europe.

My fellow travellers were an eclectic mix. You met elderly couples who didn^t like flying, women a few weeks away from giving birth, large Asian families, student backpackers, environmentalists and artists. People came from all over Europe and there were always five or six different languages being spoken over a single journey.

When I found out that the key sleeper routes across the continent were being axed, it was a huge blow. To many people these trains are the only workable alternative to short-haul flying. The decision to cancel them seems even more scandalous in the light of the current European Union directive on carbon reductions. How can you claim you are encouraging a major shift from flying to train travel while simultaneously cutting one of the main arteries of travel across Europe? The market imperatives of growth and profit evidently stand in the way of pan-European co-operation on improved rail services. You do wonder what the European Union is there for if it can^t even keep these trains running.

I was travelling with my eight-year-old daughter when I found out about the end of the CNL lines, which made the situation even more delicate for me. She was one of the reasons I had resolved to reduce my carbon footprint in the first place. I wanted to do something to help her future, so I had made an effort to show her night train travel early and it had become a favourite treat.

We went to chat to the sleeping car attendant, a very withdrawn man in his late 40s. All three of us sat pensively in an empty compartment. ^There^s nothing you can do,^ he said. ^It^s just about money. This line from Paris to Berlin has been open since before the first world war. This is a piece of history.^ He seemed tired of it all. ^ll keep my job,^ he said.

We^ve since tracked down a website and signed a petition, and have embarked on finding the email address of Europe^s transport commissioner to write a personal letter of protest.

Immediately after talking to the attendant, my daughter and I walked to the end of the carriage and looked out of the glass window in the train door at the receding railway tracks. We stood there hand in hand, watching the mesmeric way that the tracks sped away, and I was overwhelmed by the pointlessness of all my efforts in the face of the looming environmental threat ^ and terrified by the future that my child could be heading into.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 22:17:06 »

Surely the greenest way to travel is on foot. Maybe an 'oss if you can find one. No?  Tongue Wink Grin
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 22:22:30 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 22:23:44 »

Surely the greenest way to travel is on foot. maybe an 'oss if you can find one. No?  Tongue Wink Grin

Are you sure?

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/methane-cow.htm

"Do cows pollute as much as cars?"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 22:40:14 »

On a rather similar basis, I've seen a certain 'Standing Order # n' referred to as a 'Stand in Ordure # n', as it was basically a load of ... er, sh!te.  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 06:00:56 »

Does anyone have a link for the petition that's mentioned in the article?
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 09:49:21 »

It seems that having poured huge sums of money into their high speed networks, railway undertakings have found that internal sleepers are no longer commercially viable, as people change to fast day trains. Which leaves only the international market. As on the North American continent last century, at the point where stock needs replacing the long-term returns in such a further huge investment are scrutinised and found wanting.  At the moment these trains are fairly labour intensive as well, which adds to the pleasure of the experience, but as we find in the hotel industry, only by reducing the level of personal service do you seriously reduce costs.

I am sad that the night trains will be greatly diminished having used them occasionally, but, like the full restaurant car, the few who will find the money to pay for the services will not be sufficient to cover the costs of an unsubsidised service.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: