Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
22:35 Maidenhead to Marlow
23:03 Marlow to Maidenhead
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 22:46:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol-Oxford Direct Service  (Read 25594 times)
Oberon

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2014, 21:12:06 »

Ten local MPs (Member of Parliament) have been trying to persuade the Transport Secretary to introduce a new Bristol-Oxford service as part of the Great Western franchise starting in 2015.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29430204

Intriguing - would there be enough line capacity to support this with four express trains per hour running in each direction daily, plus anything else on wheels, including quite a bit of freight?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 21:23:54 »

Well it ran before for a few years, before the SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) killed it 0ff in around 2003. There is much less freight traffic these days with the closure of Didcot A, so maybe. Although 4 express tph becomes 7 tph in 2017.

It would appear a logical extension of an East West Rail service however, so maybe that will be the catalyst for reinstatement, along with stations at Corsham, Royal WB, and maybe Wantage Rd, if the stop can be fitted in amongst the 7 IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 21:24:09 »

Ten local MPs (Member of Parliament) have been trying to persuade the Transport Secretary to introduce a new Bristol-Oxford service as part of the Great Western franchise starting in 2015.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29430204

Intriguing - would there be enough line capacity to support this with four express trains per hour running in each direction daily, plus anything else on wheels, including quite a bit of freight?

It's in line with where LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) proposals see things going forward over the next 10 to fifteen years, and it provides an extension of the extra Bristol Metro service to Bath which there was talk of turning at Bathampton.  Lot of sense ... we would need to have the 75 mph stock on TransWilts services replaced by 90 mph stock in due course, but then we're needing to step it up from 1 to 2 car units in due course  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 21:34:39 »

Well it ran before for a few years, before the SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) killed it 0ff in around 2003. There is much less freight traffic these days with the closure of Didcot A, so maybe. Although 4 express tph becomes 7 tph in 2017.

It would appear a logical extension of an East West Rail service however, so maybe that will be the catalyst for reinstatement, along with stations at Corsham, Royal WB, and maybe Wantage Rd, if the stop can be fitted in amongst the 7 IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.).

I remember using that service, reversing at Didcot. Would it be possible/desirable to cut out Didcot and use the curve that passes the Signalling Centre?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 21:47:32 »

I remember using that service, reversing at Didcot. Would it be possible/desirable to cut out Didcot and use the curve that passes the Signalling Centre?

At least one of the peak hour services into Oxford did use the curve, which is still open for passenger trains (1 Xc train in the evening - we spoke about it somewhere). http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=14359.msg159226#msg159226

This proposal also duplicate part of the Go-op proposals. http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11010.0

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 21:49:24 »

I thought most services avoided Didcot, and it was the exception for them to call there. But then it was 10 years ago now....
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 22:01:05 »

Maybe I just got lucky!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 22:12:16 »

It was around 10 years ago that the direct Bristol - Oxford service was withdrawn, the week before I was due to use it for the first time ever. It turned left at Foxhall Junction, just west of Didcot Parkway, so avoiding the station. As I recall, "consultation" on the closure took place to close it at a time just before it would have cost the TOC (Train Operating Company) money - I forget the details. Congestion was said to be the biggest driver for closure. Since then, of course, Didcot power station has ceased to be, as have the regular coal trains from Avonmouth and Royal Portbury Dock. There is room for a resumption of services, and probably sufficient demand, too.

Now, please!
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 22:18:45 »

Fortunately for me, most of the services did stop at Didcot. At that time though there were rather fewer Didcot to Swindon services than there are today, particularly off peak.

Unfortunately the service was so subject to cancellations, some knock on effects of problems elsewhere that were tens of miles away, and it seemed to run at the lowest priority. I recall having to wait at Swindon over 3/4 of an hour because of an unexplained cancellation. During that time 3 London services went through all without Didcot stops and control refused to add one even though requested by station staff.

I see that Ed Vaizey is top of the list - and he promotes himself as MP (Member of Parliament) for Didcot and Wantage so maybe he wants a new service between points in his constituency ...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 22:24:20 by didcotdean » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 22:24:50 »

Summer 2001 ... Monday to Friday from Swindon at 07:01, 08:05, 09:45, 10:40, 12:12, 13:12, 14:11, 15:10, 16:35, 18:14, 19:40, 20:31 and 21:42 ... only the 08:05 missed Didcot.    2 trains skipped Didcot on Saturday morning, all called there on Sunday.   The 08:05 was the one that I used to use ... and much the busiest train of the day, which is why lots of us remember skipping Didcot.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 22:27:13 »

We have a separate board for Swindon to Oxford  Grin

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?board=22.0

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 22:36:09 »

... so maybe that will be the catalyst for reinstatement, along with stations at Corsham, Royal WB, and maybe Wantage Rd, if the stop can be fitted in amongst the 7 IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.).

At Wantage there is a loop so perhaps tht would not be a capacity issue. 
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 22:47:54 »

Didn't they cease to make way for the Paddington to Cardiff services which ran (and still do run) between the hourly Swansea services?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 23:10:25 »

It's probably the only sensible way stations stations at Grove (for Wantage), Wootton Bassett and Corsham could ever be provided and, to me at least, it makes more sense running a Bristol to Bedford (and ultimately Cambridge) service using a 110/125mph EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) of some description.  The market is there for direct journeys from Bristol/Bath to Oxford.  The market is there for services at those reopened stations, and that would be possible without stopping any of the faster IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) services.  And the market is there for longer journeys through services from stations such as Bristol/Bath/Chippenham/Swindon to Milton Keynes/Bedford (and the links with the WCML (West Coast Main Line) and MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) they afford).  That's three birds killed with one stone!

Running East-West Rail as a stopping service from Reading to Bedford/Milton Keynes seems a missed opportunity to me, particularly with Crossrail opening up easier links from Reading via London, so I would love to see a proper East-West Rail service each hour from Bristol to Bedford (then Cambridge) service calling at Bath, Corsham, Chippenham, Wootton Bassett, Swindon, Grove, Didcot Parkway, Oxford, Bicester Town, Winslow, Bletchley and Bedford.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 00:05:36 »

It was around 10 years ago that the direct Bristol - Oxford service was withdrawn, the week before I was due to use it for the first time ever. It turned left at Foxhall Junction, just west of Didcot Parkway, so avoiding the station. As I recall, "consultation" on the closure took place to close it at a time just before it would have cost the TOC (Train Operating Company) money - I forget the details. Congestion was said to be the biggest driver for closure. Since then, of course, Didcot power station has ceased to be, as have the regular coal trains from Avonmouth and Royal Portbury Dock. There is room for a resumption of services, and probably sufficient demand, too.

The service was, I believe, registered as "experimental" under the wonderfully titled "Speller Amendment". See http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/misc/experimental.shtm .  The service was terminated several days before the experimental period would have ended.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: