Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
15:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
16:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:35 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:07 London Paddington to Newbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 14:45:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[49] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[39] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[37] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1261400 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1275 on: September 03, 2016, 08:06:13 »

I would hope that it's more than one....very surprising, this. A first?
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: September 03, 2016, 09:21:06 »

Luckily there hasn't been an epidemic in TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about)

The Acton workstation signaler's relief didn't turn up, the outgoing bobby worked over his time as there was no one else available to run the station, so it had to be shut down.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: September 03, 2016, 09:56:05 »

One guy fails to show up for work - and this is the result? Dozens of trains cancelled and severely disrupted as far afield as Cornwall and Wales.

Is there no contingency plan?  Roll Eyes

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 03, 2016, 10:50:05 »

Closed for just over an hour in the end, though the ramifications will be felt for hours.  Certainly not a first, but the first time I can remember it happening at the TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) at Didcot.  Very surprised adequate 'spare' staff weren't available as I thought that was one of the great advantages of these new signalling centres over traditional boxes scattered far and wide?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1279 on: September 03, 2016, 13:28:51 »

Noting just how long it takes for the repercussions to finish; astonished that there wasn't robustness to cover what was apparently one person not being available in a major signalling centre.

13:19 Newquay to London Paddington due 18:21
This train will be cancelled.
This is due to signalling staff being taken ill earlier on this train's journey.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
dviner

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 03, 2016, 14:20:00 »

This is purely supposition on my part, but how about this - the person that they would normally have used to cover this sort of occurrence was on leave, or covering another position? Don't forget, it is still "holiday season", and signallers are allowed to go on holiday.

Of course, you could ramp up the staffing levels to ensure that there will always be cover under every circumstance, but ensuring that the competence levels were kept up to standard would be a nightmare, and there would be an outcry over signallers being paid to sit around "just in case".
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 03, 2016, 19:07:30 »

This is purely supposition on my part, but how about this - the person that they would normally have used to cover this sort of occurrence was on leave, or covering another position? Don't forget, it is still "holiday season", and signallers are allowed to go on holiday.

Of course, you could ramp up the staffing levels to ensure that there will always be cover under every circumstance, but ensuring that the competence levels were kept up to standard would be a nightmare, and there would be an outcry over signallers being paid to sit around "just in case".

If you are responsible for a business critical function, and you are any sort of manager, then you ensure that this function is covered, for all contingencies, and you factor annual leave, "holiday seasons" sickness etc into that calculation. To even attempt to use this as an excuse is frankly pathetic.

I am sure that the amount of compensation which will have to be paid out today far outweighs any additional callout allowance, to say nothing of the inconvenience caused to thousands of customers. To have a situation where the failure of one person to arrive at work paralyses an entire area for hours due to a lack of a robust contingency plan is simple incompetence.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 03, 2016, 19:12:01 »

Agree with TG.  I'm sure there will be some serious questions asked of NR» (Network Rail - home page) by the train operators as a result of this - even if it was 'only' for just over an hour.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: September 03, 2016, 19:48:57 »

Yes, they really should have better plans than this.
Simply unacceptable for single employee falling sick to have such consequences.
 Spare staff suitably trained should be available for critical roles like this. I see no problem in maintaining competency since it would seem a simple matter to rotate the "working" and the "spare" signaller at frequent intervals.

The cost should be less than the cost of all the delays, especially if some other productive but not time critical work could be found for the spare signaller.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: September 03, 2016, 21:28:17 »

It's a pedantic point but 'being taken ill' sounds much more alarming and, crucially in my view, sounds like the illness developed 'on the job'. It sounds like a more accurate description would be 'absent due to illness'??
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 03, 2016, 21:36:03 »

In fact it could be a whole variety of reasons. Signaller's car could have broken down, he could have been involved in an accident or even, due to a rostering error, not actually exist.

I remember a case when a West Country signaller was phoned on his mobile to be asked why he hadn't shown up and his reply was "I'm on leave, it's 3am and I'm in Texas!"
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 04, 2016, 12:26:50 »

Spare staff suitably trained should be available for critical roles like this. I see no problem in maintaining competency since it would seem a simple matter to rotate the "working" and the "spare" signaller at frequent intervals.

It sounds to me in this incident the signaller going off shift reached his legal permitted hours, in addition if he / she runs substantially over the end of their shift there is also the minimum hours break between shifts which can have knock effect to the following day because they need to 12 hours between shifts.  This is made even more complex if the signaller was moved to Didcot under transfer and redundancy terms as they will have travelling time built into the conditions of transfer. Like all business there is a balance of cost against risk, would be great to have a 125% manning levels with standby staff sitting in the mess room ready for action, the travelling public just cannot afford this level of staff.

However there is a critical shortage of skilled staff in many rolls on the railways especially within NR» (Network Rail - home page) because of the imposed pay restraint by HMG, which makes recruitment and retention difficult especially as these rolls are shift work and in an area of the UK (United Kingdom) where there is not a high level of unemployment.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Billhere

View Profile Email
« Reply #1287 on: September 04, 2016, 16:35:19 »

Spare staff are available, but they have meal relief duties during their twelve hour shift and it could well be they were involved with one of those and could not step over quickly.

Each desk in TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) is of a different grade, the busier it is the higher the grade, the longer the training, and a higher salary to boot. Padd is of the top grade which reflects the busy position it is. Not everybody is passed out to work it.

I can't say what happened, but I endorse Electric trains comment that Signallers are in short supply. In fact there is one man still at TVSC who has a job elsewhere who has been waiting to be released for several months now but he cannot be done without so can't go.

Very much the same all over the country. In the recent closures at Banbury the staff there were being asked to go elsewhere to fill in the holes that exist at other boxes, but seven took the money and left the company.

However that doesn't forgive the situation that occurred.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1288 on: September 04, 2016, 16:48:56 »

Talking last weekend to one who did take the money & retire, he's heard from some who did transfer from a Banbury box to a West Mids screen & they hate it - just not the same job at all, which I can fully understand.

Apparently, there's not a window to be seen in the West Mids signalling centre, while you couldn't have more windows in the Banbury boxes if you'd wanted them!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 04, 2016, 16:55:58 »

No indeed, it's a completely different type of job.  Some might well get used to it after a time, but I expect most would take up the chance to swap back in a heartbeat.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: