Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:49:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1260842 times)
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #1905 on: July 05, 2017, 20:45:45 »

Personally I think there must be a fundamental underlying issue with the system configuration in the original Paddington to Hayes scheme as we don't seem to suffer quite as many failures on other more newer areas using the same equipment and system configuration.  Of course relay interlockings are much more reliable than modern electronic kit (look for example at Plymouth which is still using its original 1960 relay equipment and I can count the number of failures of that installation over the past 20 years on one hand).

+1 Thanks for the explanation!

The BR (British Rail(ways)) SSI (Solid State Interlocking) was a well-proven system and my recollection from 1992 onwards when the Slough New (SN) scheme was implemented was that it was pretty reliable. Given all the inbuilt redundancy you describe I'm wondering what's changed in the past three years to make it fall over so regularly. Can't be the change to axle counters, can it?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1906 on: July 05, 2017, 20:58:56 »

What steep rise in fares is that, TG?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 05, 2017, 21:03:35 »

What steep rise in fares is that, TG?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/rail-commuters-face-brexit-fare-hike-of-nearly-four-times-the-one-per-cent-public-sector-pay-cap-a3580271.html

.....................and on this occasion there is absolutely no need for you to ask "oooooooooooooo's gunna pay for it?"........we all are!!!  Cheesy
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: July 05, 2017, 21:07:00 »

Thanks for that explanation, S&TE.

So, cheap British and European crap then?  Tongue Wink Grin
I can tell you that all of those modules I mentioned are certainly not cheap.

Personally I think there must be a fundamental underlying issue with the system configuration in the original Paddington to Hayes scheme as we don't seem to suffer quite as many failures on other more newer areas using the same equipment and system configuration.  Of course relay interlockings are much more reliable than modern electronic kit (look for example at Plymouth which is still using its original 1960 relay equipment and I can count the number of failures of that installation over the past 20 years on one hand).

The thing that does give SSI (Solid State Interlocking) (Solid State Interlocking) a problem at times is the signalling power supply; certain modules will fail safe if they are unhappy with power that they are supplied with which requires a signal tech to reset them.  Occasionally if there is a problem external to the railway with the DNO (Distribution Network Operator) system this can cause problems; UPS have been installed and are being installed in a lot of the supply points.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 06, 2017, 08:13:00 »

Appears things weren't too good at Waterloo last evening either:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/825203/London-Waterloo-Paddington-travel-commuting-delays-train-rail-rush-hour

Passengers were left stranded at London Waterloo, one of the country's busiest stations, after a track fault closed two platforms. Britons also reported mass delays at Paddington, around four miles away, as they desperately tried to get home during rush hour. They vented their anger on social media as temperatures rose to 82F (28C) on one of the hottest days of the year.

Graeme Hutchison‏ tweeted: "Not a good day for South West Trains or Waterloo. Cancellations and delays all over the boards." Poppy Rose wrote: "Avoid Paddington at all costs. No trains are allowed to leave the station due to signal failure. Waterloo has the same issue." Another user added: "Current situation at Paddington. No trains leaving the station at rush hour. No info on any of the screens, just lots of hot, tired people."
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: July 06, 2017, 08:37:00 »

We increasingly have a fair weather only railway that seems unable to cope with entirely predictable temperatures, or with rain or wind.

Any reasonable passenger would expect disruption in truly extreme conditions, but by "truly extreme" I mean winds of 100MPH, or 10 foot deep snow drifts, or temperatures that break records.

Large scale disruptions certainly seem to have got worse in recent years. Of course breakdowns occurred back in the old days, but I do not recall major London termini EVER being closed in the rush hours, yet now it seems to happen several times a year.
Paddington seems to be the worst in recent years, with Waterloo being a close second.

I expect it to get worse as more and more signalling is controlled from large centralised and remote signalling control centres. And of course electrification though a good thing in theory has added another risk of large scale failure, more exploding pigeons and more chance of failures in windy weather.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: July 06, 2017, 09:02:53 »

Due to a fault with the signalling system between Reading and London Paddington some lines are closed.
Impact: Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed. Disruption is expected until 09:45 06/07.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: July 06, 2017, 10:35:56 »

We increasingly have a fair weather only railway that seems unable to cope with entirely predictable temperatures, or with rain or wind.

Any reasonable passenger would expect disruption in truly extreme conditions, but by "truly extreme" I mean winds of 100MPH, or 10 foot deep snow drifts, or temperatures that break records.

Large scale disruptions certainly seem to have got worse in recent years. Of course breakdowns occurred back in the old days, but I do not recall major London termini EVER being closed in the rush hours, yet now it seems to happen several times a year.
Paddington seems to be the worst in recent years, with Waterloo being a close second.

I expect it to get worse as more and more signalling is controlled from large centralised and remote signalling control centres. And of course electrification though a good thing in theory has added another risk of large scale failure, more exploding pigeons and more chance of failures in windy weather.

You just have to be patient. Once GWR (Great Western Railway) have finished "building a Greater West" everything will be fine & dandy and we will move into broad, sunlit uplands with no delays, plenty of seats, trains/air conditioning/signals that dont break down every 5 minutes and even emails answered within 6 months.....staff will be easy to find at stations and will rush forward to offer assistance rather than picking their noses and scowling at passers by......you may even find them working on Sundays......I'm not sure which year, or even decade this huge leap forward will take place, but it is scheduled for April 1st.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: July 06, 2017, 16:09:53 »

.....and to back up what I said earlier in this thread the signalling has just failed again at Hayes (1600 on 06/07/2017) Roll Eyes Tongue

Paddington at a standstill as well.  Seems nothing being let out to avoid blocking up the whole area for the next few hours.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 16:16:50 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: July 06, 2017, 16:12:12 »

Due to a safety inspection of the track between Newbury and Reading trains have to run at reduced speed on the line towards Reading.
Impact: Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed by up to 15 minutes. Disruption is expected until 17:30 06/07.

Is this how GWR (Great Western Railway) is currently reporting the Hayes problem ?
"Due to a fault on this train between London Paddington and Slough all lines are blocked.
Impact: Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or delayed by up to 60 minutes. Disruption is expected until 22:00 06/07."

Edit: now amended to read: Due to a fault with the signalling system between London Paddington and Slough all lines are blocked.

Multiple signalling problems further out west too.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 16:25:22 by Jason » Logged
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: July 06, 2017, 16:24:14 »

Thanks for the heads up! Would my Travel Card from Didcot allow me to go via Marylebone and Oxford?
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: July 06, 2017, 16:34:03 »

The advice now reads:

Customer Advice:
Chiltern Railways are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
CrossCountry are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
South West Trains are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
London Buses are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
First in Berkshire & The Thames Valley are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: July 06, 2017, 16:36:53 »

.....and to back up what I said earlier in this thread the signalling has just failed again at Hayes (1600 on 06/07/2017) Roll Eyes Tongue

Paddington at a standstill as well.  Seems nothing being let out to avoid blocking up the whole area for the next few hours.

You really couldn't make it up could you? Totally unfit for purpose.
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #1918 on: July 06, 2017, 16:57:06 »

Thanks for the heads up! Would my Travel Card from Didcot allow me to go via Marylebone and Oxford?

Judging from Jason's post I would consider the answer to be 'yes'

Allow plenty of time though because the Marylebone-Oxford trains get quickly wedged once Paddington is stuffed. They're mostly 5 car units every 30 mins (more in the peak with one loco-hauled service.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: July 06, 2017, 16:59:32 »

I am half hoping Chris Grayling is caught up in all this , after his visit to us  out in the sticks and returning to his ivory tower.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: