16:30 London Paddington to Taunton
Delayed
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 03:24:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 307
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1265027 times)
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: September 06, 2017, 08:59:58 »

Level crossing barriers between Newbury and Reading causing disruption this morning.
eg, 1A72 lost 15 minutes.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: September 06, 2017, 09:14:33 »

Much better performance recently though, don't think anyone could contest that, and reflected in performance figures over the last few weeks.  Hopefully it will continue, though I'm sure there will be disruption again soon as it is such an intensively used section of track.

"Much better" - relatively to an extent in that "only" 1 in 5 trains are late?  I'm not sure too many Businesses would be celebrating that stat.

To show an improvement on June/July when there were several total meltdowns between Reading and Paddington is hardly a significant achievement, and your final comment emphasises that it's more down to luck/timing than anything else.

I get that the area is intensively used, but if memory serves we were all told that the extensive signalling work which in itself created massive disruption was supposed to address the problems and issues that this created along with replacing the older systems?

I guess I'm just pleased that, for customers as well as staff, the number of delays recently (by which I mean the last month or so) due to infrastructure problems in the Thames Valley has reduced.  I don't know how much of a role luck is playing in that, but I hope it continues.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: September 06, 2017, 09:47:52 »

This Didcot Herald story claims that for four weeks in August 60.2 per cent of trains were delayed or cancelled between Didcot and Paddington. Unfortunately it is just a reference to a piece in the Sunday Times so no clue on the method to come up with that figure (and the article if online would be paywalled).
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: September 06, 2017, 10:19:29 »

This Didcot Herald story claims that for four weeks in August 60.2 per cent of trains were delayed or cancelled between Didcot and Paddington. Unfortunately it is just a reference to a piece in the Sunday Times so no clue on the method to come up with that figure (and the article if online would be paywalled).

The ST piece didn't say much more: "Punctuality was measured for the four weeks ending August 24". It was also not clear if only down trains were used; the text ony referred to London or Paddington to Didcot (Parkway).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 19:33:38 by stuving » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: September 06, 2017, 18:07:17 »

The ST piece didn't say much more: "Punctuality was measured for the four weeks ending August 24". It was also not clear if only down trains were used; he text ony referred to London or Paddington to Didcot (Parkway).

If memory serves the Sunday Times piece measured punctuality at each station stop, rather than just arrival time at the final destination.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: September 06, 2017, 18:40:58 »

Which is what will now be happening for all TOCs (Train Operating Company) as per a recent announcement.  Might give the press some easy headlines but I'm all for transparency and this level of data will put many other industries to shame.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: September 06, 2017, 19:30:33 »

Which is what will now be happening for all TOCs (Train Operating Company) as per a recent announcement.  Might give the press some easy headlines but I'm all for transparency and this level of data will put many other industries to shame.

The best way for the railways to avoid "easy headlines" will be to raise performance to acceptable levels in all areas........what other industries/sectors do you anticipate being put to shame in the way you suggest and by what criteria?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: September 06, 2017, 20:22:36 »

The best way for the railways to avoid "easy headlines" will be to raise performance to acceptable levels in all areas........what other industries/sectors do you anticipate being put to shame in the way you suggest and by what criteria?

Don't mind have the railway performance published however it should be a level playing field for all transport modes therefore all highway operators should publish their performance figures and be ready to refund the users for delays ................ or course that idea will never catch on

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: September 06, 2017, 20:26:18 »

If memory serves the Sunday Times piece measured punctuality at each station stop, rather than just arrival time at the final destination.

Where was that - was there a fuller version of the article? What was in Sunday's paper had only the footnote I quoted, and this in the text: "The exercise used four weeks' punctuality data, ending on Thursday, August 24, for 360 journeys into and out of London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, and Glasgow."

Note, nothing about what "late" means, which trains were used (a huge choice there), or how (if) they were averaged. I took those 28 days-worth of data out of recenttraintimes.co.uk, and did a grand overall punctuality score for both ways with no margin of lateness. That gives 50%, so I guess you could get 40% by taking a more limited rage of times, particularly busier times (such as might represent commuters).
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: September 06, 2017, 20:46:07 »

Don't mind have the railway performance published however it should be a level playing field for all transport modes therefore all highway operators should publish their performance figures and be ready to refund the users for delays ................ or course that idea will never catch on

How would that work on the roads then? Is there an advertised time of arrival when you go for a drive? What fare would be being refunded? What criteria would be used for a payment?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: September 06, 2017, 20:54:36 »

Buses, coaches, the London Underground, trams, foreign railways (that are all much better than ours of course)...

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: September 07, 2017, 06:01:51 »

Buses, coaches, the London Underground, trams, foreign railways (that are all much better than ours of course)...

TfL» (Transport for London - about) publish extensive London Underground performance information (interestingly they include customer satisfaction), even benchmarking themselves against other metro systems across the World - it goes down to the level of station opening times and escalator availability - they also publish extensive performance information on buses and trams, and are subject to Mayoral and other scrutiny panels and committees - all easily accessible via their website.........that should keep you going for a while - something for the railways to aspire to?

Less bothered about foreign railways since my taxes don't subsidise them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:11:56 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: September 07, 2017, 09:36:26 »

Where was that - was there a fuller version of the article? What was in Sunday's paper had only the footnote I quoted, and this in the text: "The exercise used four weeks' punctuality data, ending on Thursday, August 24, for 360 journeys into and out of London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, and Glasgow."

Note, nothing about what "late" means, which trains were used (a huge choice there), or how (if) they were averaged. I took those 28 days-worth of data out of recenttraintimes.co.uk, and did a grand overall punctuality score for both ways with no margin of lateness. That gives 50%, so I guess you could get 40% by taking a more limited rage of times, particularly busier times (such as might represent commuters).

From memory as the online article is behind a paywall late was more than minute rather than the current rather more generous timings. It also looked at all trains rather than just the narrow window used for reporting currently.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: September 07, 2017, 11:32:33 »

TfL» (Transport for London - about) publish extensive London Underground performance information (interestingly they include customer satisfaction), even benchmarking themselves against other metro systems across the World - it goes down to the level of station opening times and escalator availability - they also publish extensive performance information on buses and trams, and are subject to Mayoral and other scrutiny panels and committees - all easily accessible via their website.........that should keep you going for a while - something for the railways to aspire to?

Less bothered about foreign railways since my taxes don't subsidise them.

I am very pleased TfL are now publishing data in such detail - certainly much more in-depth than when I was last trying to find it, which admittedly was several years ago.  That sort of level of data is already provided by the railways through the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) website, though the metrics vary a little as things like escalator availablility carry much less importance.

You're a better man than me if you can find any such levels of data on National Express coaches or on the vast majority of bus routes outside of London.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: September 10, 2017, 08:17:19 »

Cancellations to services between Slough and Tilehurst

Due to engineering works not being finished on time between Slough and Tilehurst all lines are blocked.
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 10:00 10/09.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 307
  Print  

Jump to: