17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 04:34:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 302
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1240535 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: July 10, 2019, 16:35:15 »

On the final signalling hiccup.  Is it my imagination or are these now becoming very frequent?
Going back in time, surely failures occurred but we didn't notice? or trains ran without a problem?

I'm not sure whether exact figures on signalling failures per year, per route, are published - one for Stuving, our resident Google sleuth?  Cheesy

Given the track defects last night at Langley and yesterday and today at Slough you might think those were on the increase, but I think generally the opposite is true.  'Broken rails' were down a whopping 90% from 952 in 1998 to 109 in 2015 for example.

I don't think Network rail have ever published (i.e. externally) details of the failures that cause "incidents", though the Route Plans and similar documents have contained a lot of mentions of performance and how it's going to improve. But they are much fuller of jargon than comprehensible facts. Mostly you can get PPM(resolve) and the like, telling you nothing about who did what do whom.  I've seen promises of more useful performance information, but not anything specific.

Network Rail (NR» (Network Rail - home page)) do quite a bit of work in asset monitoring and the like (and promote it), aimed at predicting failures before they happen (the best kind of prediction, I'm sure). Some of that gets into the railway technical press. Suppliers are also busy doing this kind of stuff; even my ex-colleagues at Thales are at it now - though we didn't have any rail projects in my time. I saw a presentation of their work based on detailed analysis of the current drawn by a point motor, looking for patterns that show it meeds servicing or is about to grind to a halt. That and similar tricks may be very clever and potentially useful, but of course it all has to work, and make a difference, when rolled out on a large scale. And that I've not heard anything about.

What I have found is that NR now have a page of links to data (search for statistics and pick "Our information and data").

There is an item for Network Performance, bit its "related link" isn't (a link). The only other thing that might be of use, if anyone has the time to make use of it, is "historical delay attribution". That's not as historical as it might be (just 2018-19 and on), but is a complete list of all delay attribution incidents. There's a short explanation of its content and the column contents, which start with:
The file attached is a standard data extract from our Performance System database (PSS (Provincial Sector Services)). The
information within the file contains all “attributed” delays to passenger train services in line with the
guidance in the Delay Attribution Guide. The information is structured for industry systems and
understanding, the below provides a few key insights into the data contained.

The data contains both delay and cancellation events (denoted by the performance event code) and a
user should be careful when summing delay minutes (pfpi minutes) to exclude cancellation events.

Each (4-week) period's data comes in a large zipped CSV file - large as in up to 500,000 rows x 39 columns. You'll need a copy of the DAPR to hand, not just the explanation, to process that lot into anything useful! These are the column heads:

FINANCIAL_YEAR_AND_PERIOD
ORIGIN_DEPARTURE_DATE
TRUST_TRAIN_ID_AFFECTED
PLANNED_ORIG_LOC_CODE_AFF
PLANNED_ORIG_GBTT_DATETIME_AFF
PLANNED_ORIG_WTT_DATETIME_AFF
PLANNED_DEST_LOC_CODE_AFFECTED
PLANNED_DEST_GBTT_DATETIME_AFF
PLANNED_DEST_WTT_DATETIME_AFF
TRAIN_SERVICE_CODE_AFFECTED
SERVICE_GROUP_CODE_AFFECTED
OPERATOR_AFFECTED
ENGLISH_DAY_TYPE
APP_TIMETABLE_FLAG_AFF
TRAIN_SCHEDULE_TYPE_AFFECTED
TRACTION_TYPE_AFFECTED
TRAILING_LOAD_AFFECTED
TIMING_LOAD_AFFECTED
UNIT_CLASS_AFFECTED
INCIDENT_NUMBER
INCIDENT_CREATE_DATE
INCIDENT_START_DATETIME
INCIDENT_END_DATETIME
SECTION_CODE
NETWORK_RAIL_LOCATION_MANAGER
RESPONSIBLE_MANAGER
INCIDENT_REASON
ATTRIBUTION_STATUS
INCIDENT_EQUIPMENT
INCIDENT_DESCRIPTION
REACTIONARY_REASON_CODE
INCIDENT_RESPONSIBLE_TRAIN
PERFORMANCE_EVENT_CODE
START_STANOX
END_STANOX
EVENT_DATETIME
PFPI_MINUTES
TRUST_TRAIN_ID_RESP
TRUST_TRAIN_ID_REACT

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 16:15:04 by VickiS » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: July 10, 2019, 20:29:15 »

I think I'll leave that one to the experts.

Now, please!
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: July 11, 2019, 16:28:32 »

Due to urgent repairs to the track between Reading and Basingstoke the line is blocked.
Impact:
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 17:30 11/07.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: July 16, 2019, 09:28:34 »

Cattle on the line between Swindon and Didcot Parkway so all services stopped. Disruption expected to 11:00.
I believe that a train may have hit the cattle.

Now expecting several puns about cows and /or trains needing to get a moo-ve on.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: July 16, 2019, 09:37:03 »

In these circumstances there'll be a lot of compensation claimed.........Mooooooooooooos  gonna pay for it?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: July 16, 2019, 10:18:41 »

More than 30 cows reported on the line at one point and a suggestion they may have gained access due to vandalism.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3366 on: July 16, 2019, 10:53:49 »

Cattle on the line between Swindon and Didcot Parkway so all services stopped. Disruption expected to 11:00.

Indeed:

https://www.facebook.com/zanydavy/posts/10162006486695223

My IET (Intercity Express Train) train has just hit a cow and caused damage to the front cab of the train. We are doing 20 mph as I was told they are getting a fitter to inspect the cab. I dare say the service will be terminated at Didcot. I didn't think it would be long before they got involved in an accident. We didn't feel any motion as it hit.

Followed up by pictures of damage taken at Didcot.

https://www.facebook.com/zanydavy/posts/10162006594090223

First time I've been on an intercity express train (IET) and it's done an emergency stop. 125 mph to 0 mph in a very short breaking distance. Felt a slight metallic sound as the nosecone flew off and know doubt 4 cows!!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: July 16, 2019, 11:44:18 »

Now expecting several puns about cows and /or trains needing to get a moo-ve on.

Quote from: knee-jerk GWR (Great Western Railway) (Great Western Railway) over-reaction
Until we can source milk from another supplier, all GWR trains will only be able to supply black tea and coffee.
But the pollen-filter beehives now allow us to carry honey on all IET (Intercity Express Train) services.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: July 16, 2019, 12:29:30 »

Indeed:

My IET (Intercity Express Train) train has just hit a cow and caused damage to the front cab of the train. We are doing 20 mph as I was told they are getting a fitter to inspect the cab. I dare say the service will be terminated at Didcot. I didn't think it would be long before they got involved in an accident. We didn't feel any motion as it hit.

First time I've been on an intercity express train (IET) and it's done an emergency stop. 125 mph to 0 mph in a very short breaking distance. Felt a slight metallic sound as the nosecone flew off and know doubt 4 cows!!

Thanks for the links and looks like it was the 1A06 0620 Weston-super-Mare to Paddington.
And incident is now cleared although delays still to be expected.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: July 16, 2019, 12:33:24 »

It was 1A06.

Longest delay I think was 1C04 - 07:30 London Paddington to Penzance which was held just west of Didcot for a while before being sent back to Reading to go down the Berks & Hants.  It is currently nearly two hours late approaching Totnes and will be terminated at Plymouth.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: July 16, 2019, 12:54:29 »

It was 1A06.

Longest delay I think was 1C04 - 07:30 London Paddington to Penzance which was held just west of Didcot for a while before being sent back to Reading to go down the Berks & Hants.  It is currently nearly two hours late approaching Totnes and will be terminated at Plymouth.

Why terminate it quite that far short? They should still be able to make Truro and form the return journey on time.

a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: July 16, 2019, 14:02:44 »

Might be wrong, but it looks as if, from the pictures, the nose cone itself has just retracted.  Those nose cones are Kevlar lined, the nose cone doors themselves worth about £40,000.

Indeed:

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3372 on: July 16, 2019, 20:08:38 »

Update from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-49009906

Two cows were fatally struck by a train after a fence near railway tracks in Oxfordshire was damaged, police said.

The GWR (Great Western Railway) train hit the cows at Uffington at 07:56 BST.

Network Rail said British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)) attended the scene to investigate a "deliberate act of vandalism".
Trains between Didcot and Swindon were delayed for an hour while the rest of the herd was moved away.

The BTP spokeswoman said: "Sadly, two cows were killed in the incident.

"Inquiries are ongoing to establish exactly how the cattle came to be on the tracks, but at this early stage, it is believed a nearby fence had been damaged."

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: July 18, 2019, 15:13:25 »

It means two return trips an hour are running instead of three.

I’m not sure how you could get a road based vehicle to access the train.  It might be possible if the train is shunted to the siding near Slough station I suppose.

So the combined resources of network rail (whose defective track caused the problem) and GWR (Great Western Railway) whose train needs fuel, are not able to deliver a modest supply of diesel fuel to a train in suburban London. Several easy ways of doing this exist.

1) Put drum of fuel in back of a van. Pump fuel into train at someplace with suitable access.

2) Put drum of fuel in van. Unload and roll the drum/use a trolley to the platform by means of the ramp or lift intended for wheelchairs. Use a hand pump to fill tank on train.

3) Fill a number of 20 liter jerry cans with diesel fuel use a van to transport these to the station. Carry the jerry cans to the train. Use a large funnel attached to a short piece of hose to pour from jerry can into fuel tank on train.

4) Contact a fuel delivery firm with a small tanker that incorporates a pump and delivery hose. These are very common and readily available. They deliver to small tanks at the far end of a domestic back garden without problems, so a parked train should be easy.

I noticed yesterday a small tanker lorry in the car park at Slough ready to refuel the unit currently ‘stuck’ on the Windsor branch, so something has obviously been organised.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: July 18, 2019, 17:12:33 »

Yes, fuelling arrangements were put into place a couple of days after the unit became locked in.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 302
  Print  

Jump to: