09:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 09:17:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[85] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[73] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[72] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Broadgage unwell.
[46] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Thatcham station - some work imminent (red/yellow lines on platform)  (Read 19964 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2014, 09:13:22 »

I appreciate that this would be easier to answer if I had a picture but it's been pretty dark these last few mornings.

On platform 2 at Thatcham station some new markings on the platform have appeared. They consist of Red and Yellow lines which seemed to be centered on the shelter.

I've knocked up a pretty crude (well not even pretty!) picture showing from memory what they look like. Just curious to know whats going on

The drawing isn't to scale and the level crossing and footbridge would be on the left. For those unfamiliar with this station this is the Reading bound platform - Platform 1 is for trains to Newbury and the west.

Dave
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:58:52 »

Not been to the station this week, but will be tomorrow by the looks, so will have a look aswell.

Immediate thought is that maybe something on the platform needs to be moved/rebuilt due to upcoming overhead wiring infrastructure?

As an aside, apart from the bridge-raising we have seen, there seems to be very little activity (to a layman such as myself anyway) on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) in connection with the wires going up. Bearing in mind that we are told this is going to be in place as far as Newbury by the end of 2016, should we be concerned?
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 13:19:27 »

Not been to the station this week, but will be tomorrow by the looks, so will have a look aswell.

Immediate thought is that maybe something on the platform needs to be moved/rebuilt due to upcoming overhead wiring infrastructure?

As an aside, apart from the bridge-raising we have seen, there seems to be very little activity (to a layman such as myself anyway) on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) in connection with the wires going up. Bearing in mind that we are told this is going to be in place as far as Newbury by the end of 2016, should we be concerned?

You may be right TC(resolve) but from memory they appear to run through the shelter. I will wait to see what you think.

Regarding general progress on "our" line I believe there has been some progress near Newbury station. Someone posted a picture in a "Newbury now and then" Facebook group which shows part of a support mast in place. I've certainly not noticed any progress like there has been between Reading and the start of OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") near Heathrow.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 16:23:30 »

No reason to be concerned, in my opinion.  Up in the North West of the country they went from nothing done to an electrified route for TPE (Trans Pennine Express) in about a year.

Paul
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:59:07 »

I managed to get a picture this morning...so live from Platform 2 here we are (this is obviously facing east)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 10:18:54 »

The yellow markings look like positioning markers for a new shelter perhaps?
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:32:37 »

The yellow markings look like positioning markers for a new shelter perhaps?

In a way I hope not - it looks narrower than the existing one. We shall see!
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 16:44:58 »

I did have a look at these markings yesterday morning (whilst waiting for the delayed 0903 THA-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)  Roll Eyes) and I must admit I am none the wiser!

Like BB I don't think they mark out a new shelter - they mark out an area that is too long and narrow.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 07:03:03 »

I have been led to believe that they are replacing the footbridge at Thatcham station starting this November due to clearance for electrification.

If this is the case I'm wondering if the new footbridge will have ramps rather than steps - because the footprint of the yellow lines is quite long compared with the existing bridge.

It also seems to go over the existing shelter on P2 so it if this is what is happening it will be interesting to see see it unfold.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 08:56:09 »

In which case, yes, a ramp or lifts is a requirement. The former is cheaper. Lifts have to be monitored....are staff present all day?
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 09:00:05 »

In which case, yes, a ramp or lifts is a requirement. The former is cheaper. Lifts have to be monitored....are staff present all day?

No - Thatcham is a relatively small station which is manned in the mornings weekdays and Saturday and not at all on Sundays.

I can't see lifts being put in - obviously this would require one each platform and as you say there is a cost/monitoring impact attached to that

Watch this space!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 09:55:46 »

There's no requirement to provide a ramp/lifts when a footbridge is being replaced, only if it is a new facility.

The extra space might well be because the new structure will be much higher than the existing one - the clearance needed at each side of the track might mean the current two stages of steps has to be made into one, therefore needing much more space.  I'd have thought a footbridge with ramps is unlikely, unless the design of the station and location of the station buildings make it the only sensible solution, given there is level access to all areas of the station using the level crossing.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 10:01:45 »

There's no requirement to provide a ramp/lifts when a footbridge is being replaced, only if it is a new facility.

I think you're wrong....any new build needs to reflect HSE (Health and Safety Executive) regulations. If they simply renovated, I agree with you, but new build needs to reflect current regulations.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 10:08:09 »

Tilehurst has recently been completely replaced and rebuilt in a new location on the station without any ramps.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 10:08:55 »

I think you're wrong....any new build needs to reflect HSE (Health and Safety Executive) regulations. If they simply renovated, I agree with you, but new build needs to reflect current regulations.

Wasn't the footbridge at Aldermaston replaced in the last year or so. I know some of the road bridges in the area were.

I don't remember that bridge having ramps but could be mistaken.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: