Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:28:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Rail's Western Route Study published for consultation - September 2015  (Read 14831 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: October 13, 2014, 11:29:54 »

The replacement for the RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) has been published - deadline for responses 9 January 2015, although they'll appreciate early responses.

Lead webpage is http://www.networkrail.co.uk/improvements/planning-policies-and-plans/long-term-planning-process/route-studies/

You can download the pdf here - but be warned - it's over 7Mb and 272 pages....
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:07:16 by ChrisB » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:45:20 »

The replacement for the RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) has been published - deadline for responses 9 January 2014, although they'll appreciate early responses.

Are you sure? Network Rail Time Machine required!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:07:33 »

Thanks, amended!
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 15:44:47 »

I'm at work at the mo, so no way to look - any interesting bits about the Devon Metro and its infrastructure?
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 18:05:40 »

Details to be seen on p8,9,28,29,33,94, 203/7/8/10/11, 226/7/8, 232/3

Download pdf and search Devon Metro
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 18:31:35 »

Cheers for that!

Stone the crows! Increasing capacity on the Torbay branch (increased speeds?) and 2tph PGN - EXM? I will, admittedly , believe it when I see it, but atleast its recognised as an issue! Grin
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 20:25:28 »

Lots of really interesting stuff, and previous discussions about grade separation at Didcot East and around Reading west appear to be favoured. Also at Ladbroke Grove which I think is new.  Curiously grade separation at Standish is mentioned for the long term, but not at Wootton Basset, and only rather dismissively at Westerleigh.

Also talk of capacity increases at Melksham in the long term, with 1 tph envisaged for the longer term, running through to Salisbury. 

Mention of electrification to Kemble and Charlbury, both of which surprised me (particularly Charlbury).  Also talk of extending the freight loops between Didcot and Swindon to offer a dynamic passing capability. 

Even discussion that in time four tracking between Standish and Cheltenham may be needed. When you think how long it has taken to get four tracking of Filton Bank to be approved, the sudden talk of more further north maybe shows how rapidly the railway is needing to expand.

Interested to see that one idea I have long promoted, that of emu's providing additional capacity in the peak out as far as Swindon appears to have very strong support, as an alternative to adding stops to the fast Bristol services that will be introduced post IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.). (Which it is acknowledged would completely defeat the object of introducing them in the first place.)

patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:41:11 »

Mention of electrification to Kemble and Charlbury, both of which surprised me...

Something I picked up recently from one of the local landowners on the Swindon- Kemble section raised an eyebrow: he had been informed by NR» (Network Rail - home page) that the line will be closed again at Christmas 2014 to allow one of the overbridges to be replaced (I've no idea why it wasn't done during one of the recent possessions). The NR person who told him (possibly a contractor rather than a NR employee) said that the bridge deck would be raised to allow for future electrification. So it would seem that forward planning is happening. It's surprising as the bridge in question is for pedestrian and farm traffic only and is used very infrequently.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 15:51:18 »

Interesting hints in there about the future SW equivalent document including a grade separation project at Basingstoke, now that could be quite a complex solution - I'd expect they'd run the two tracks of the Reading branch past the station on the north side, and then take the down side over most of the existing tracks.

Hence big hints about through services across Reading to better connect Basingstoke towards London or Heathrow, as flagged up in a couple of earlier RUSs (Route Utilisation Strategy)...

Also mentions a possible third track through Reading West and grade separation at Southcote Jn...

Paul
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 12:21:14 »

Extending the electrification back from Wolvercote to Charlbury is the only realistic proposal to get a half hourly service from these stations. Massive housing development is proposed for West Oxon but there are no significant proposed road works to cope with all this extra traffic. The A40 into Oxford from Witney suffers from gross congestion and commuting hours start earlier and earlier. The A40 is congested from Eynsham into Oxford from before 07.00 almost every day and this week it has been stretching back the 12 miles to Witney causing travel times of over an hour. One report this moring was that an express S2 bus service had been stuck so long just outside Witney that the driver has switched off the engine. What will be needed (and I think this is under consideration will be a dedicated Carterton/Witney/Hanborough station bus link bringing many more rail travellers that will need a more frequent train service than at present.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 13:49:21 »

But I'm having distinct problems posting a URL FIR IT - can someone not on an iphone oblige me please?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 13:55:16 »

This do?

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/long-term-planning-process/western-route-study/

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 14:00:58 »

Yep - thanks!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 14:34:40 »

The finalised version of the Western Route Study is now online here:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Publications/long-term-planning/western-route-study/Western-Route-Study-final.pdf

Only scanned it so far, but others might be interested in having a read...

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 14:56:36 »

Already posted in the future years thread
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: