Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:57:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Rail line becomes lightning rod for tensions in Jerusalem'  (Read 1893 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: October 25, 2014, 17:53:55 »

From the Financial Times:

Rail line becomes lightning rod for tensions in Jerusalem

It is 8pm and the train on Jerusalem^s Light Rail service is rolling uphill from the city^s Jewish, western city centre, skirting the invisible Green Line as it heads towards the mostly Arab-populated east.

The carriages are packed, mostly with Jewish passengers, until the train stops at Ammunition Hill before heading into Palestinian neighbourhoods that for more than three months have seen regular night-time skirmishes between rioters and police. Nearly everyone gets off; a security guard wearing a black fleece and an earpiece boards and the near-empty train passes through two darkened and disused stations that were vandalised during rioting in July.

I won't quote the full article, due to copyright restrictions imposed by the Financial Times, but it is worth reading, as a comparison with our UK (United Kingdom) commuter train travel experiences.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 21:00:46 »

Not sure what you're referring to here? Unless the race/religion split between Slough/Reading for example? But as many get iff at both, so not quite sure?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 00:01:58 »

It was the discussion of the physical risk of any passenger travelling on those particular trains that I found interesting - irrespective of their racial or political background.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 00:28:05 »

A commuter in the Thames Valley may only get his/her personal space invaded...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 00:17:31 »

A commuter in the Thames Valley may only get his/her personal space invaded...

When asked on a training course what I considered to be the size of my personal space, I asked for a tape measure, and a couple of minutes alone...

I have been to Jerusalem twice. I side with no one group, but can confirm that disputes between any two of the many groups to be found there simmer close to boil at all times. This is not confined to the traditional Jewish - Arab divide - a ladder in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre has stood in the same place for well over a century because the six different Christian groups there cannot agree which one of them should remove it. The argument now is more about who started the argument than what the argument was about. It serves as a metaphor for other disputes, which could be resolved before it collapses into dust, but no-one is sure of that.

Many of the attitudes, rules and regulations, both secular and religious, over there sound bizarre to the outsider, and unlikely causes of major friction. They are far from trivial in the country.

On a lighter note, I went to see the site of the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, at Qumran. For those who do not know, the site was believed by some scholars to have been a scriptorium, inhabited by Essenes, who copied scrolls of scriptures from 200 BC or thenabouts. When they were about to be over-run by the Romans, they hid their scrolls in jars, placed in caves, to wait until the heat died down. It didn't, the settlement was destroyed, and the scrolls remained hidden until a bedouin shepherd boy named Muhammed Edh-Dhib found them whilst looking for lost sheep in 1946. He threw a stone into a cave from a crack above, and heard a shattering pot rather than an annoyed "Baa!" The first recovered portion contained part of the book of Isaiah, written in Hebrew largely understandable by Hebrew speakers today.

A wooden tower with a long and winding ramp overlooks the excavated ruins of the scriptorium. I was following Moshe, our guide, up this ramp. He was singing "The long and winding road", and I joined in with "Leads me back" etc. "Do you know the significance of this song?" he asked me. I stirred my brain into action. Did Isaiah arrive by a long and winding road? Don't think so. John the Baptist? No, he cried aloud in the wilderness. The Romans didn't build long and winding roads. After some minutes of going over my wholly inadequate knowledge of the Old Testament, the history of Israel, and the Roman occupation thereof, I gave in.

"It was the last single released by the Beatles whilst all four were alive", said my guru, born in South Africa.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: