Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:12:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: SDO............why the discrepancies  (Read 33623 times)
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2008, 20:11:22 »

I'm pretty sure it's profit first, safety second if and when they can get away with it.

Quite right there!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2008, 20:21:47 »

Definitely profits first!

Or does safety come under the profits band (amount of compensation they have to pay out)?

The compensation culture we have is the only reason anyone cares about Health and Safety, FGW (First Great Western) included!

That's why the HSTs (High Speed Train) have locks- really, how many (sane/not stupid) people are going to open and lean out of a window when at 125 mph and fiddle with the door handle?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2008, 20:32:47 »

The fact is that before the central locking was introduced there was a steady stream of fatalities due to people falling out of Mk 3 coaches at speed. It was never explained why, but it stopped once the central locking was installed.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2008, 21:02:12 »

Agreed, John - and IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) part of the problem was that the door could be opened by a handle on the inside - where that shiny steel blanking plate was fitted, when central locking was introduced?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2008, 21:05:45 »

No Chris, they've never been openable (if that's a verb) from the inside. So it was always a mystery as to how someone could lean out and open the door from the outside at speed. But it happened often enough for the conclusion to be drawn that it needed addressing. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2008, 21:11:20 »

Thanks, John: in that case, a mystery indeed!  But I don't have a problem with central locking per se - just with the way it's being applied perversely with SDO (Selective Door Opening), for example at Nailsea!

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

dog box

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2008, 21:37:45 »

HST (High Speed Train) Doors have never ever been openable from the inside, there were two types of lock fitted to slam door rolling stock the type with the openable handle fron the inside was a single acting lock and was only ever fitted to innersuburban commuter stock
The type fitted to HSTs is the only one now in service and this is a double acting lock which has a two stage catch to prevent people falling out if they should try to open the door when the train is moving,and thus you have always had to open the window to operate the door handle

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2008, 21:45:58 »

Thanks to you, too, dog box: my memory is obviously more dodgy than I thought!  Wink

However, in view of the fairly comprehensive security of such a lock, it is indeed a mystery how anyone could bypass it, while travelling at high speed?

Or is this a case of, "nothing can be made foolproof, because fools are so ingenious!"  Undecided

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2008, 21:48:55 »

Thanks to you, too, dog box: my memory is obviously more dodgy than I thought!  Wink

However, in view of the fairly comprehensive security of such a lock, it is indeed a mystery how anyone could bypass it, while travelling at high speed?

Or is this a case of, "nothing can be made foolproof, because fools are so ingenious!"  Undecided

Or could it be that slam doors were outlawed because of the issues that happened on the commuter services that had different locks

And no one bothered to make the effort to specify that FGW (First Great Western) style locks are ok - saw it as an opportunity to outlaw all slam doors unless there was centra locking

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2008, 21:52:35 »

Or could it be that slam doors were outlawed because of the issues that happened on the commuter services that had different locks

And no one bothered to make the effort to specify that FGW (First Great Western) style locks are ok - saw it as an opportunity to outlaw all slam doors unless there was centra locking
CDL (Central Door Locking) (central door locks) were only fitted to the HST (High Speed Train) style locks, all of the old slam door DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s and EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)'s never had any form of door locks fitted, that is apart from the Arriva "bubble car" and the Chiltern "bubble car" which have a strange electro-magnet type CDL. However, at the time, it was not expected for the DMU's and EMU's to be in service for much longer.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2008, 22:08:03 »

The single acting lock was fitted to mK1 Stock and i think that mk2/3 were fitted with the double acting type when new. many mk1s were converted to the newer type.
Regulations dictated all slam doors needed to be locked, mk2/3 were fitted with central door locking ,whilst mk1 vehicles would have been expensive to do and thus as Mookiemoo states only a handful were ever done
All new type trains 170 /5 etc are built with Sdo and thus Hsts now have it to ensure they meet modern regs

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2008, 20:26:38 »

I'm pretty sure it's profit first, safety second if and when they can get away with it.

Utter nonsence  Roll Eyes

You got a bad memory?
Remember the Southall Crash?
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2008, 20:42:33 »

The fact is that before the central locking was introduced there was a steady stream of fatalities due to people falling out of Mk 3 coaches at speed. It was never explained why, but it stopped once the central locking was installed.

The Boffins at the RTC (Railway Techincal Centre) DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) get to the bottom of it.

Carriages where fatalities had occured with persons falling from a moving train, were examined in detail and NO FAULT with the door locks or catches could be found.

However rolling stock suffer from Stress, Expansion and Air Pressures, and the faster the speed the greater the effect.
It was found by lasar measurment that carriages twist and deflect with the shocks coming from the wheels and bogies, along with heat expansion and the lower air pressure outside a train at high speeds.
It was found that with this twisting action the gap between the door lock and striker plate could increase, and in a very few cases it was enough to allow the door lock to move past the striker plate and, bang the door would fly open by air pressure.

That is the reason Secondary Door locks operate at Right Angles to the Door Handle lock.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2008, 21:05:13 »

Well thank you. I never knew that.
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2008, 21:53:01 »

Utter nonsence  Roll Eyes

You got a bad memory?
Remember the Southall Crash?
Do you really remeber it?
If so, which company was involved carrying passengers?
(No one else answer, I want Smokey to answer)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: