11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 11:02:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[126] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[69] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[57] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[54] Cornish delays
[14] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The new what-do-you-call-it lift at Greenford  (Read 4348 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2015, 22:52:35 »

I missed that this was being built. I remember the old escalator, up only and rather long, and the stair tunnel looking much dingier than does now (even in the 1950s, when the station was quite new).

From the Evening Standard:
Tube's first 'sloping lift' installed at Greenford, ending 68-year wait for disabled access
    Ramzy Alwakeel    Wednesday 21 October 2015

You wait 68 years for a lift: The new design has been unveiled at Greenford station Transport for London

A revolutionary lift that runs up a slope on miniature rails has opened at a Tube station in west London.

The design, the first of its kind on the British rail network, ends commuters^ 68-year wait for disabled access at Greenford in Ealing.

It comes six years after plans to excavate a vertical lift shaft at the station were shelved on grounds of cost.

Transport for London said the new design, which resembles a funicular, was twice as efficient to run and cheaper to build as it did not require a shaft at all.

The design will be copied at two Crossrail stations when they open in 2018.

Lianna Etkind of campaign charity Transport for All called the lift ^a fantastic example of a clever innovation that has opened up this station to older and disabled people^.

Greenford opened in 1947 and until last year had the Tube network^s last wooden escalator.

Work to replace the capital^s escalators with metal ones began after the 1987 King^s Cross fire, which started underneath one.

Isabel Dedring, the deputy mayor for transport, said: ^The Mayor has set an ambitious target of ensuring more than half of TfL» (Transport for London - about)^s stations are step-free by 2018.

^This lift is the first of its kind in the UK (United Kingdom) and a great example of one of the many innovative projects now underway to achieve that.^

Greenford is the 67th step-free station, leaving 203 to go.

Ealing^s transport chief Cllr Bassam Mahfouz said the lift would ^mean the world of difference^ for disabled people and those with young children, claiming some of them ^will now be able to access London for the first time in their lives because of this new lift^.

Here's a video of the thing. It doesn't seem to have an accepted name yet (well, why would it if there were none?). Any name must fit with ordinary lifts - vertical, if the distinction is needed - and horizontal lifts, for which we are still waiting but could find a use at stations too.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 22:55:53 »

'Inclinator' as a name seems okay to me.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 06:55:39 »

What about the inclined planes at various seaside resorts etc.  Not exactly a new idea.  Perhaphs one of the designers had a holiday in Lynton/Lynemouth  Roll Eyes Shocked Tongue
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 08:30:26 »

Isn't there one at Ebbw Vale Town station? If so the claim to be the first of its kind on the rail network isn't correct.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 08:42:52 »

'Lift' seems a perfectly adequate word to me - why invent a new name? I note that the station signage calls it that. Otherwise, I propose 'deflubbicator'.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 11:09:08 »

Isn't there one at Ebbw Vale Town station? If so the claim to be the first of its kind on the rail network isn't correct.

The 'lift' at Ebbw Vale isn't within the station and was funded by the local authority. It's a totally separate development to Ebbw Vale Town station.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 16:21:11 »

Greenford now has a vernacular railway  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 18:06:40 »

It had one of those before - the 'push-and-pull'.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 08:28:24 »

It had one of those before - the 'push-and-pull'.

I must turn off the $%&I&@ predictive text in my new spell checker  Undecided  Grin

So Greenford now has funicular railway or in the vernacular a lift

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: