Train RunningCancelled
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 14:02:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[140] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[127] access for all at Devon stations report
[55] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[6] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 387 coming to Thames Valley - ongoing discussion  (Read 462764 times)
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: January 02, 2018, 08:57:07 »

Indeed. I even took the brave step of switching my annual ticket from 1st Class Eastbound to Standard in the promise of all of this extra capacity. 

Same-old-same-old from Maidenhead today. A creaking turbo, crammed HST (High Speed Train) and a short formed electric service to choose from.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 02, 2018, 10:16:35 »

Not been helped by the fatality yesterday evening at Iver. Resulted in several sets being late back to the depot last night which in turn meant they weren’t ready this morning. They are also down on HSTs (High Speed Train) following a couple of incidents.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 02, 2018, 10:29:02 »

I wondered whether the fatality would have had an effect on the overnight plans as there were delays of up to 90 minutes on the last services of the evening which can badly affect the train plan for the next morning.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #708 on: January 02, 2018, 10:43:27 »

Was it actually fatal? Words tweeted last night "person treated at the scene and lines now reopening" seem a strange way to refer to a fatality?
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 02, 2018, 11:01:01 »

Defintely fatal. I don’t know wether saying “the person is being treated at the scene” is a softer way of explaining the incident or if it is thought it could deter people from attempting suicide on the railway if an attempt is seen as not always successful
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 02, 2018, 13:52:11 »

Just need to see what happens on P13 between 1754 and 1820 this evening (maybe 2R53 and 2P71 are only 4 car), but it looks like the inherently less than optimally safe practice of platform sharing (ie trains sharing a platform without the protection of controlled signals) at Reading may have come to an end.  Hurray!
janes

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 02, 2018, 14:25:48 »

Got up early to enjoy the new direct 7:55 from Tilehurst to Ealing Broadway - only to get to the station and find it had been cancelled!  Angry

Had to get the 8.04 turbo to Reading and then the (presumably short-formed) 4-car 08:33 to EB. Surprised to find that it wasn't actually overcrowded (in my coach anyway) or delayed due to extended dwell times from shoehorning people on - but not a good first day - a lot of trains seemed to be cancelled, late and/or short-formed - so much for the great new timetable!

Happy New Year......
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 02, 2018, 14:28:41 »

Lots of cancellations this evening as well, particularly later in the evening.  Shortage of drivers (which Insider warned us about) the main reason cited.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 02, 2018, 15:24:39 »

Just need to see what happens on P13 between 1754 and 1820 this evening (maybe 2R53 and 2P71 are only 4 car), but it looks like the inherently less than optimally safe practice of platform sharing (ie trains sharing a platform without the protection of controlled signals) at Reading may have come to an end.  Hurray!

But they do share platforms at Reading under the protection of controlled signals, like it does at a lot of other locations.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 02, 2018, 19:00:15 »

I was watching the performance at home of 1D93, 17:49 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) with interest today as it was the first of the two down 12-car 387 services (the second, at 18:19 was cancelled!).  Firstly a small positive in that it did indeed run as a 12-car as planned between Paddington and Reading.  Three minutes instead of the booked one minute was spent at Maidenhead - I suspect that was waiting for passengers to alight given how busy it is and how the rear set won't be platformed at Maidenhead. 

It then arrived Twyford at 18:19, three minutes late, but it looks as if the 18:20 connection to Henley left on time (well, it left early at 18:19 according to the automatic reports).  If true it is shocking that the connection was allowed to leave as the train pulled into the platform. 

Then it went on to arrive at Reading two minutes late where the rear four coaches are detached.  That operation is due to take four minutes according to the schedules, which would be pushing it for a Turbo, let alone a 387 where gangway connections have to be closed as well as four carriages checked empty and any passengers moved to the two sets staying in service.  So, predictably it actually took nine minutes to do that and departed seven minutes late.  It went on to Didcot arriving 5 minutes late.

Just wondered if anyone travelled on it to confirm the details above and report back on how busy it was etc.

BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 02, 2018, 19:37:07 »

It then arrived Twyford at 18:19, three minutes late, but it looks as if the 18:20 connection to Henley left on time (well, it left early at 18:19 according to the automatic reports).  If true it is shocking that the connection was allowed to leave as the train pulled into the platform. 

I haven't travelled today but I've been watching RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) and Twitter, and it seems that tonight the connections into the Henley Branch trains at 1720, 1820, 1850 and 1920 were all missed by minutes. Now the 1918 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) is cancelled so there'll be no connection for the 1950. Presumably now that the branch service is half-hourly the rule is that trains will no longer be held at TWY (Twyford station)?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 02, 2018, 19:44:12 »

A wonderful way to pacify your passengers that have now had their through trains removed from the timetable!  Understanding that timings are tight on the branch with the 30-minute interval service, I feel a hold of up to four minutes is appropriate and the best compromise.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 02, 2018, 20:31:00 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South Today’s report on the start of electric services between Didcot and London:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09k7h7q/south-today-evening-news-02012018

Report starts at 3.50 and is only available for 24 hours.

AND...BONUS (just for you TG) Mr Hopwood makes a guest appearance at 5.55  Grin
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 02, 2018, 22:56:58 »

I was watching the performance at home of 1D93, 17:49 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) with interest today as it was the first of the two down 12-car 387 services (the second, at 18:19 was cancelled!).  Firstly a small positive in that it did indeed run as a 12-car as planned between Paddington and Reading.  Three minutes instead of the booked one minute was spent at Maidenhead - I suspect that was waiting for passengers to alight given how busy it is and how the rear set won't be platformed at Maidenhead. 

Then it went on to arrive at Reading two minutes late where the rear four coaches are detached.  That operation is due to take four minutes according to the schedules, which would be pushing it for a Turbo, let alone a 387 where gangway connections have to be closed as well as four carriages checked empty and any passengers moved to the two sets staying in service.  So, predictably it actually took nine minutes to do that and departed seven minutes late.  It went on to Didcot arriving 5 minutes late.

Just wondered if anyone travelled on it to confirm the details above and report back on how busy it was etc.

I had the pleasure of the 17.49 this evening. I confess that I hadn’t taken in the fact that this was no longer a Worcester HST (High Speed Train) and so was intrigued to see how it performed.

Boarding didn’t start until gone 17.40 so it was quite a scrum. I deliberately listened for platform and on train announcements about which carriages would be platformed at Maidenhead - there were none. The only announcements concerned the split at Reading.
It must have come as quite a surprise to passengers in 8-12 to be informed by the driver as we passed through Taplow!!  That might explain the long dwell time at Maidenhead.

The train itself was full. Busier than the Worcester HST by a considerable margin. I am basing that upon a) number of passengers standing in Coach 5 where I was, and b) that Coaches 1-4 were already full and so I had to double back. Given that the morning peak was so quiet today I was quite shocked by how busy it was, and will be intrigued as to what happens when passenger numbers peak later this month.

Comfort-wise I’m afraid the ironing boards just don’t compete against a comfy HST seat. I think I’m correct in saying that only the 19.48 is now an HST to Maidenhead?
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 02, 2018, 23:22:52 »

Maybe they are relying on people having read the 'Electrostar Customer Guide' leaflet for which carriage to travel in ...

Front Six: West Ealing and Iver
Front Eight: Ealing Broadway, Maidenhead, Twyford, Didcot
All: Paddington and Reading
Front Seven: the rest

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: