Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 01:08:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Combined Rail and Travelcard prices  (Read 4671 times)
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« on: November 26, 2014, 22:53:07 »

Hi all

it seems that if I buy an off peak return from Basingstoke to Waterloo, I can add a zone 1-6 travelcard for about ^5, but if I try to add one to a ticket from Salisbury or Winchester, it adds the full ^9.

Anybody know why this is?

Trying to get the best prices into London from around here is a job in itself. Ticketsplit is a big help though.

Cheers.
TS
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 23:04:59 »

I am sure we have discussed this recently on another board but I cannot think where at the moment.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 23:05:39 »

Off Peak Day Travelcard (Any Permitted) Salisbury - Waterloo with Railcard ^28.80
Off Peak Day Return (Any Permitted) Salisbury -Waterloo with Railcard ^34.80

DIfference ^6.

From Winchester-Waterloo the difference between those two fare types is ^5.95

Where are you actually travelling from? There is an option to undercut the fare from Salisbury.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 23:13:57 »

I travel from between Salisbury, Andover and Winchester, and any of those is an option , including Grateley.

If I put in times  into the National Rail Enquiries site, for the first train which gets me into Waterloo after 10.00, and thus off peak,  it definitely shows the ^9.00 differential from Salisbury or Winchester.

Incidentally, I use a ticket split, EG Grateley to Basingstoke anytime return, plus off peak return plus travelcard from Basingstoke.

thanks for your reply, BTW (by the way).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 23:19:16 by teamsaint » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 23:27:52 »

I was going with info from brfares.com and a booking engine. I rarely use National Rail Enquiries for fares queries as I hate the interface.

I can be fairly certain those prices I quoted will be the ones you pay at a station or from a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine). Incidentally, if you want a cheaper price from Salisbury you can buy an Off Peak Day Travelcard from Clifton Down-London Waterloo (route: Warminster/Salisbury) for ^24.75 with Railcard. Valid for arrival at Waterloo after 1000, return by any train, and also valid to start and end short at Salisbury/Grateley/Andover.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 23:32:11 »

OK, cheers BMN.

I can get round the (apparent) travel card difference by ticket splitting anyway.

I'll certainly try your suggested  plan though.
Which booking engine would you use please?

Edit: actually, found it on the SWT (South West Trains) site, ^33.00 (plus ^4.50 travelcard) from Salisbury with no railcard, as I don't think I qualify for anything other than a Network railcard which wouldn't  work.

I'll give that a go on my next trip.

So is BR (British Rail(ways)) fares the best place to search for that kind of unusual fare?

Many thanks for your help, amazing.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 23:57:58 by teamsaint » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 18:23:24 »

In my personal opinion, my colleague 'bignosemac' has achieved an understanding of the vagaries, inconsistencies and illogicalities of the ticketing system that would, quite frankly, make my own brain explode.  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 00:39:08 »

Thanks Chris!

Cheque's in the post.  Tongue Wink Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 14:57:46 »

In my personal opinion, my colleague 'bignosemac' has achieved an understanding of the vagaries, inconsistencies and illogicalities of the ticketing system that would, quite frankly, make my own brain explode.  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

extraordinary knowledge indeed.

how would you know, even with BR (British Rail(ways)) fares to use, about the example he gave, (which I hope to use), except by extreme good fortune...or some technique which he has yet to reveal ?!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 15:21:02 »

Shared wisdom is usually the reason. Many people out there who know of fares loopholes.

Before I was living near stations on the Severn Beach Line I was aware that a Day Return (via Warminster/Salisbury) to Waterloo from say, Redland, was cheaper than a Day Return from Bristol Temple Meads. How I became aware is lost in the mists of time, but it was my first bit of knowledge that the fares system had loopholes that could be exploited to save money.

I quickly learnt about split tickets, then I studied the Routeing Guide and the Fares Manuals. I attended a couple of workshops with like minded folks and learnt of more loopholes and passed on knowledge of ones I'd found.

Ticket splitting apps/programs/websites are getting better and better, but there are still many other ways to save money, such as that being discussed here, where a ticket for a longer journey can be used from an intermediate station that has a higher fare.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: