27/04/24 14:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
14:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 11:05:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Season Ticket Dilemma  (Read 7233 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2014, 14:59:56 »

I am going to start purchasing a season ticket soon for a journey I am going to be making 5 - 6 days a week for the foreseeable future.

The season ticket I was quoted for was ^53.50 Standard Class & ^80.35 First Class for 7 Days. This will be fine to start with until the new year where I will start to purchase Monthly Seasons.

However on FGW (First Great Western)'s website for Season Tickets and NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service). The First Class option doesn't exist. Despite the ticket office clerk telling me there were both First and Standard Class season tickets available.

Considering the FOR with Disabled Railcard is ^24.80 per day, a season @ ^80.35 seems a good deal to me.

Anyhow. I intend to start my journey from Frome on the 06:05 HST (High Speed Train) in the morning, changing onto a SWT (South West Trains) service at Westbury. Only the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) will be available (if it's working) at this time. I have poked the TVM in advance and discovered that only the Standard Class ticket is available.

So armed with my photocard in advance. If I travel on this service in the morning. How do I purchase this First Class season if I am not able to beforehand at a ticket office? This could become a problem as it is possible I may only have a definite commencement date on the Sunday Evening coming!

Whilst I know hindsight is wonderful. But in 12 months there will become at least one occasion where I won't be able to purchase the ticket in advance in time. With the monthly season being around ^300 I wouldn't mind booking it online so senior trouts can get those Necter points! But it's just not there!

So could someone advise what would be the best procedure? Purchase that FOR and excess to season at the end of the journey as per what the NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) and Penalty Fare Rules 2002 suggest? Or board the train and sit in First Class and see if the TM(resolve)/Guard can get the avantix to sell me the ticket?

Grin Grin Grin Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 15:08:31 »

You won't, I think, get an Advantix to sell a monthly season as the ticket needs registering to your photocard number. It can sell weekly tickets.

Renewals on weeklies from Friday afternoon or the previous afternoon if not renewing for a Monday. Renewals of Monthlies can be made in the days preceding the expiry, assuming no break of validity.

You don't say where to / from - could you buy in early in the opposite direction? Can you get that direction online or at the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) or ticket office from the other end?
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 23:57:14 »

Quote from http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/seasontickets.aspx#149017

When can I buy or renew a season ticket?
New season ticket or where there is a break in continuity:
Season ticket validity
Tickets can be bought from
Weekly
Available from 06:00 on Sunday if the start date is a Monday (or Tuesday following a public holiday).
Available on the day of travel if starting any other day of the week.
Monthly, longer than a Month, or Annual
Available from 12:00 on Friday if the start date is Saturday, Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday following a public holiday).
Available from 12:00 the day before if starting on any other day of the week. 

Also worth pointing out that weekly tickets do not get logged on your season ticket file so changing from a weekly to a monthly would not count as a renewal as far as the tvm goes... while the guards machine can do it... they shouldn't as they have no link to the season ticket database
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:02:53 »

Different rules seem to exist these days -

Chiltern offer weeklies to start on a Monday from 4pm on the previous Friday, both from ticket offices & TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine). For example
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 14:13:37 »

I intend to start my journey from Frome on the 06:05 HST (High Speed Train) in the morning, changing onto a SWT (South West Trains) service at Westbury.

Frome ticket office is usually open well before the 0605 departs (despite its advertised opening time of 0630) and I rarely have any trouble buying my season ticket there before boarding the train. From several years' experience in using this particular train I would estimate that you have a 90% chance of being able to buy your season ticket from Frome booking office immediately before departure. On the other 10% of occasions, (e.g. if the regular staff member is away) then a plan B is required. If the guard cannot sell you the season ticket you require, he or she will sell you a single and you can upgrade it to a season at a ticket office. I note that you are planning to take a South West Trains service from Westbury. The first such train leaves Westbury at 0709, so during your 50-ish minutes' wait you would have time to have a cup of tea, read the Metro then go to Westbury ticket office (it opens at 0655) and exchange your single ticket for the appropriate season.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 18:01:12 »

Quote from http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/seasontickets.aspx#149017

When can I buy or renew a season ticket?
New season ticket or where there is a break in continuity:
Season ticket validity
Tickets can be bought from
Weekly
Available from 06:00 on Sunday if the start date is a Monday (or Tuesday following a public holiday).
Available on the day of travel if starting any other day of the week.
Monthly, longer than a Month, or Annual
Available from 12:00 on Friday if the start date is Saturday, Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday following a public holiday).
Available from 12:00 the day before if starting on any other day of the week. 

Also worth pointing out that weekly tickets do not get logged on your season ticket file so changing from a weekly to a monthly would not count as a renewal as far as the tvm goes... while the guards machine can do it... they shouldn't as they have no link to the season ticket database

Guards machines will allow a weekly no issues, and never been told this is an issue by management - but monthly's will not show on the system to be sold - nothing to do with commission i'm sure  Wink.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 12:44:56 »

Honestly nothing to do with commision, the avantix machines have no way of transfering the information to the season ticket database ... this is not required for weeklys and even if sold at a station the weekly will not show up on the customers record sheet.

also just to add that my original quote missed out that when renewing a weekly you can do it from 1200 on the friday as long as the current ticket is held but not if it is a fresh issue or if there is any break in continuity
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 13:15:36 »

oh yes you can at Chiltern, from their TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine)
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 15:24:26 »

Adding a valid from date to seasons would negate the need for these purchasing restrictions?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 15:32:14 »

That's a far amount of software work, rearranging ticket layout & gate software admin to read it - if the extra data can/could be accommodated on the magnetic strip of course
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 15:38:14 »

Unlikely to ever happen then, with smart ticketing "just around the corner".
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 15:40:10 »

indeed. Quite a long corner I reckon though.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 21:06:33 »

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Having had discussions with a forum member outside of the forum itself. It was perhaps suggested that a First Class Season isn't offered because the route has a very limited amount of trains with First Class seating.

The Route in question - Frome - Bristol Parkway has a First Anytime Single so should I come across the 10% Ticket Office Closure as BandHcommuter mentions (Which in my personal experience has been closure 100% for the very few occasions I have used this train) Then I will buy this and upgrade to a season at BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains). The idea was to initially go to Filton Abbey Wood which is much closer - But a daily walk of 1 mile is good exercise so I will stay on till BPW on those hideous Voyager Obects Smiley

Return Journey again is based on 2 trains. Only 1 of which does not have First Class seating from Westbury onwards.

Based on the Season to Filton Abbey Wood and Bristol Parkway being the same price. It makes sense to buy onwards to BPW that way I can end short at Filton if I wish. This will also allow me to split tickets at BPW for journeys further afield which will be much more convenient for me in the future.

So again, many thanks all Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 20:26:11 »

Ok so I have a query on the Monthly Compensation side of things.

Am I right in thinking that compensation for delay is only paid if the overall advertised service % falls below a threshold?

So in theory a void day declared because of a points failure at Weston-Super-Mare would mean I would be issued this even though my journey does not even traverse this area? As this is part of the West-of-England regional route?

Now lets assume the 19:20 BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) - FRO» (Frome - next trains) is cancelled twice a week, but as all other journeys ran without too many issues; the reliability threshold is still within the limits of acceptability meaning no compensation?

Now for hypothetical reasons, the reliability and punctuality thresholds for InterCity services between Bristol Temple Meads - London Paddington falls below the charter requirements. So discounts are offered. Even though my season ticket is predominantly West-of-England services. It is valid on these InterCity services - even more so that they are trains with the exception of a small handful with First Class seating.

So to summerise - the 19:20 in January was cancelled 4 times which immediately causes at least 1 hour delay as you get lumbered with the 20:49 Bristol Temple Meads - Weymouth. But the punctuality threshold doesn't fall lower... Thats just tough?

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 22:15:31 »

So to summerise - the 19:20 in January was cancelled 4 times which immediately causes at least 1 hour delay as you get lumbered with the 20:49 Bristol Temple Meads - Weymouth. But the punctuality threshold doesn't fall lower... Thats just tough?
Pretty much, yes.  I remember making a post about two years ago summarising Delay Repay vs Passenger Charter based on my SWT (South West Trains) commute.  Overall, I was finding Passenger Charter void days were not taking into account quite long delays that I suffered (especially on those journeys outside the peak period or at weekends).

also just to add that my original quote missed out that when renewing a weekly you can do it from 1200 on the friday as long as the current ticket is held but not if it is a fresh issue or if there is any break in continuity
Just to add that London Overground once sold me a brand new season ticket with new photocard at 08:30 on a Friday, to start on Monday.  The guy did comment he had never sold a paper season before, so as long as "computer didn't say no", he was happy to issue it.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: