08:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 05:34:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[100] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[58] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[37] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Quiet Carriage / Coach: restrictions and issues - ongoing discussion, merged topic  (Read 101863 times)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2013, 12:47:37 »

At least she will have the joy of no conversation or noise now she has to drive everywhere instead of travelling on FGW (First Great Western) Wink.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2013, 22:04:58 »

I confess that I don't understand the negativity to someone who expects FGW (First Great Western) to enforce their own rules.  Probably because I've experienced the same couldn't-give-a-damn attitude from train managers myself.

If I took a beer into a football match I'd expect to be challenged. If I smoke in a non smoking area then I expect to be challenged. What is it that people don't get about quiet carriages!?!?  Shut up or move.

(And before anyone gets upset I am not saying its a silent carriage, but both stories above, and my own daily experience relate to prolonged full-volume chatter, which belongs in a non-quiet carriage.)
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2013, 22:42:35 »

Nick, it's not her complaint that I have a problem with.  It's the way she is dealing with it, refusing to go through the proper sequence of the procedure and using her 'power' to demand a personal apology without acknowledging there might be another viewpoint.  She might be right or not.  Certainly she's exaggerated some things and that detracts from a possibly legitimate point.  To say I'm never doing business with someone again is the last, not opening, gambit in a discussion, I would have thought.

Just my take on it. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 02, 2013, 08:13:02 »

If I took a beer into a football match I'd expect to be challenged. If I smoke in a non smoking area then I expect to be challenged. What is it that people don't get about quiet carriages!?!?  Shut up or move.

IMHO (in my humble opinion), the problem is one of degree, absolute silence is clearly unreasonable, but deciding what IS reasonable is open to widely differing views.

By contrast, taking beer into most football matches is totally prohibited and is fairly easy to detect. Imagine the chaos if taking a "modest" amount of beer was permitted !

Likewise smoking is either allowed or prohibited, imaging the arguments if it was allowed but only "in moderation" !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2013, 10:31:44 »

Nick - I don't have any argument with the complaint - she should complain to FGW (First Great Western), as the TM(resolve) should have spoken to those in question.

I personally remind them they are sat in a quiet coach and could they please respect the environment they are in.  If the level of noise continues, then I will ask them to relocate to another carriage.  Sometimes people genuinely don't even realise they are sat in one and are quite embarrassed and apologetic when challenged.  One of my colleagues tried to enforce a "silent" coach once and was quickly given all sorts of "human rights" arguments.

Yes it is subjective, but it's also quite easy to judge what is and isn't acceptable, even by just looking at the faces of fellow passengers around.

The journalist has a valid complaint - however the response of never travelling with FGW again over this issue is a little hyperbolic in my personal opinion.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2013, 10:52:41 »

What about putting decibel monitors in quiet coaches ...a bit like the ones round here that show your speed and then  a visual slow 'down', perhaps FGW (First Great Western) ones  could show the decibel output and then the visual  message 'pipe down!' if it exceeded an certain level of decibels.

As a ex teacher of 30 years experience, I very quickly established a 'working noise' concept with my classes. As long as I couldn't hear individual words of a conversation, we both found a noise level acceptable to both.. However cupped hands and whispering was very quickly pounced on, as I automatically deemed these to be nefarious in content, whatever the circumstances!.

TM(resolve)'s could monitor the decibel level using the displays and the on board cameras to ascertain just who was making the noise, and take action accordingly. As if they didn't have enough to do ....
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2013, 11:39:23 »

At one time mobile phone conversations were more distracting than face to face in that people seemed to need to bellow into the phone to make themselves heard. Nowadays people usually get by talking into them at a normal level - but there also seems to have been a subtle increase in the noise level of general conversation too. The exception of course is the silly ring tone which the whole carriage needs to hear 3 times before the person finds his or her phone.

As to the Huffington Post blog I took this initially as a bit of satire as surely someone can't be as self-centred, patronising and rude in real life. If I were wrong in this, I am glad that I no longer have the risk of encountering her.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2013, 16:46:23 »

At one time mobile phone conversations were more distracting than face to face in that people seemed to need to bellow into the phone to make themselves heard. Nowadays people usually get by talking into them at a normal level - but there also seems to have been a subtle increase in the noise level of general conversation too. The exception of course is the silly ring tone which the whole carriage needs to hear 3 times before the person finds his or her phone.

Agree about the ringtone element. Mobile phone conversations tend to be annoying compared to normal conversations because I think it stems around not being able to hear the other participant.

Counter-intuitively I think someone putting their call on loudspeaker (at a reasonable volume) would be less irritating.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2013, 17:15:12 »

[quote author=didcotdean link=topic=1513.msg138987#msg138987 date=1378118363
Counter-intuitively I think someone putting their call on loudspeaker (at a reasonable volume) would be less irritating.

And if it was especially confidential (like the one a young lady had sitting next to me and kept saying 'I can't tell you' until persuaded to tell her friend and the whole carriage the name of the actor who had visited her office to discuss a contract) you have excellent grounds to start a blackmail conversation about how far they want the conversation to go.

(Lest there be any doubt: this intended as an ironic, humorous post, not an invitation to break the law)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2013, 17:24:56 »

The journalist has a valid complaint - however the response of never travelling with FGW (First Great Western) again over this issue is a little hyperbolic in my personal opinion.

If the FGW train is the best / most practical way for her to get from Bristol to London and she's not going to use it any more [because of ****], she's the one who will suffer the consequences.   Don't expect the remaining passengers on the 13:30 to be so saddened at her loss that they give up the train too, nor should  you expect FGW to shed too many tears, I'm afraid, Bidisha.

The public comments added on the Huffington Post site make interesting reading.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: September 04, 2013, 20:47:44 »

I had an excellent experience this morning.  I was on a semi-fast Metropolitan Line service, so we didn't stop between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Finchley Road, which takes about 7 minutes.  A rather tired commuter falls asleep with her phone still in her hand.  It rings, loudest possible setting with the generic "traditional telephone" ringtone, the really annoying one.  We all look round for the culprit.  She is asleep, but still gets the "annoyed commuter evil face".  The call obviously goes to voicemail after what feels like an eternity and we can all relax.  Then it rings again.  This time a fellow commuter decides to answer it with "can you please telling your f***ing friend to switch off her f***ing phone when she is asleep on the train".  He then hangs up and very calmly places it back in her hand.  None the wiser, she wakes up and leaves the train at Baker Street*, possibly wondering why everyone is staring and giggling at her.

* = Can anyone tell me how people manage to do this because once I'm asleep, there's no chance I'm getting off at the right stop

Of course, with my moderator hat on, I don't condone any behaviour of this kind.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #281 on: September 24, 2013, 17:07:02 »

I'm seated in quiet on a cross-country train.    Bloke and blokess opposite talking loudly and playing a game on a tablet with the volume right up.  Thinking about it, that's not actually breaking the rules, is it?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 24, 2013, 17:13:51 »

...that's not actually breaking the rules, is it?

Possibly breaking the spirit of the purpose of the quiet coach, though.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 24, 2013, 17:16:47 »

And Railway Byelaw 7

7. Music, sound, advertising and carrying on a trade
(1) Except with written permission from an Operator no person on the railway shall, to the annoyance of any person:
(i) sing; or
(ii) use any instrument, article or equipment for the production or reproduction of sound.

..but that opens a whole new discussion....
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 24, 2013, 17:36:07 »

I think the more and more you read the NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) the more you realise how much you break it every time you catch a train...

Some rules contradict what staff tell you to do. Others are perhaps me reading too literally into it with an Autistic head on.

My favorite 'literal rule taking' years ago back in the days of NXEC (National Express East Coast) was when I was asked to alight from a train at Reading. I complied with the instruction. Which was completely different from get off and stay off... Needless to say I don't need to tell you what I did when I looked for another train to Taunton................. Lips sealed Grin Tongue Shocked

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
  Print  

Jump to: