Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:48 Reading to Redhill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 08:13:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[49] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[25] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Quiet Carriage / Coach: restrictions and issues - ongoing discussion, merged topic  (Read 101631 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2009, 15:08:12 »

The fully licensed bar bit always amuses me.... at 8am???

Why is it always decribed as fully licenced?  What is a partly licenced bar?

Isnt the difference about whether you can drink on or off the premises.  So by being fully licenced they can sell you alcohol and you can drink it in the buffet/on the train and take it with you.  Whilst you can restricted licences that only allow off sales or consumption on the premises

sounds plausible - thanks
Doctor Gideon Ceefax

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2009, 19:16:40 »

prehaps you can enlighten us on the needlless announcments???

0624 from WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) - announcing where to get off at any station up to OXF» (Oxford - next trains) - NO ONE GETS OFF - and if they do they are regulars!

60% of the time - the TM(resolve) doesnt do any verbal anmouncements - then you get the jobsworths who do - its like day and night

With the stops on the cotswolds line - by the time they have finished (if they do the whole script including the braille safety leaflets) they have a pause for breath before they are announcing which stop we're approaching and where to get off

The problem is, is that the announcements are mandatory, not discretionary, basically to comply with government regulations and corporate safety standards. If the staff do not make these announcements, and are reported not doing so, it is highly likely they will face disciplinary proceedings. The 'jobsworths' as you put them, probably don't want formal action taken against them, especially in the current climate with redundancies, where even minor blemishes on someone's record can be detrimental,  which I think is understandable.

However from the viewpoint of the travelling public, I can see that such announcements only serve to annoy them, and personally actually agree with you that half the stuff is largely spurious. I don't like to hear half the nonsense when I travel either. The solution, I don't know, but presumably it would involve passenger action groups raising the issue with the companies and perhaps MPs (Member of Parliament).

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2009, 19:21:14 »

Again - I have noise canceling headphones - bet I could watch terminator next to you and you woldnt know

Ummmm !

Noise canceling headphones are designed to reduce the effects of external noise on the listener not the other way round !  In theory this should allow the wearer to reduce the volume they are listening at, but there is little evidence to support this.
True noise canceling headphones also need to enclose the ear completely, most personal audio equipment use in-ear devices which are not - despite what they claim - noise canceling !

mine are senheiser external old fashioned earphones - on those occasions I listen to music.

Because I cant hear the back ground noise, I dont have to have the volume as high

I  do have in ear ones but they are for use in the office where I want to listen to music/radio but also need to be aware if someone wants to talk to me.  I can have one earphone only in

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2009, 20:15:53 »

mine are senheiser external old fashioned earphones 

The additional problem with headphones is that people think they will get the same performance (either sound quality or noise cancelling/reduction) from a pair costing ^1, in the local pound shop, which looks almost the same as a pair of Sennheisers at ^200, or more.
I did some trials for the MoD on their equipment some years ago - very nice if you can afford it !
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2009, 20:42:16 »

Think mine were 160 - bought mainly for flights not the train!  but they've lasted now about five years!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2009, 11:37:42 »

Several months on from the new guidance leaflets being placed in the quiet coach and they are still being contradicted by the TM(resolve)'s announcements.

Card says iPods (etc.) can be used at a non-obtrusive level yet many announcements still using the structured announcement including the phrase '...please do not use mobile phones or personal stereos in this carriage'. Whatever your views on listening to music quietly in the quiet carriage, can we please have a consistent message!?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2009, 10:06:48 »

To my mind mobile phone noise is much worse than most other noise of the same volume* so whilst quite carriages would ideally be quiet in all respects, I think FGW (First Great Western) is right to focus more on mobile phone noise because I suspect that that is what most of its complaints from customers are about.  Remember quite carriages were only introduced after mobiles came into existance.

*not sure why this is the case but certainly true of me.  Maybe it is cos I can't help evesdropping on a phone call whereas other sound can more easily beome background.     
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2009, 11:14:05 »

There was a lot to be said of the old coaches with single compartments and sliding doors.
 If it was too bright you could even take the bulbs out (alledgedly).

Not that I remember them  Grin.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2009, 17:05:08 »

Mobile calls are irritating for many reasons:

*People always seem to talk louder than normal - perhaps because the signal is worse.
*They always start off with "I'm on the train...".
*Hearing just one side of a conversation is distracting than hearing a normal conversation.
*The ringtone, text noises and other "sounds" that modern wacky phones make.

That's why phones should be switched OFF in the Quiet Zone, and passengers should use them in silent mode if possible in other carriages, preferably going to the vestibules to make and receive calls. I certainly hate the idea of other people listening to me on the phone, plus I don't want to disturb/ annoy them, so I always make an effort to leave the passenger saloon. Obviously, if the train is very busy, you can't do this. But you get some people who use phones with no consideration to others.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2009, 17:43:17 »

I often use my phone in the quiet carriage to make (free) texts, emitting no noise apart from the tapping of keys. I can't see any problem in this to be honest.

I was on a train the other week where a BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Spotlight news reporter ranted at somebody for using their phone in the quiet carriage.  Cheesy
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2009, 17:45:48 »

French trains don't allow mobiles in any carriage- there are stickers eveywhere reminding you of this- it's in the culture to go out to the vestibules to use a phone, much as it was to smoke until the complete ban.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2009, 19:41:17 »

French trains don't allow mobiles in any carriage- there are stickers eveywhere reminding you of this- it's in the culture to go out to the vestibules to use a phone, much as it was to smoke until the complete ban.

Good.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2009, 22:55:26 »

They don't?!?!  oops

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2009, 00:57:30 »

I was on a train the other week where a BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Spotlight news reporter ranted at somebody for using their phone in the quiet carriage.  Cheesy

Hopefully, they ranted in subtitles only?  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2009, 19:10:55 »

A couple of quips that have proved effective in the quiet coach:

(Mobiles)  "Did you know that shouting into your 'phone damages the battery?"

(Stereos) " Could you either turn that thing down so we can't hear it or up enough so we can all enjoy it with you?"

Recalcitrants can be reminded of the fine they'll receive from the guard, if called. (Except there isn't one!)

Happy new year,

OTC
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: