Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:24 Swansea to London Paddington
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:42:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[147] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[126] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[46] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[23] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Calls to revive direct rail link from Oxford - Bristol backed by Oxfordshire MPs  (Read 3693 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: January 07, 2015, 21:15:58 »

From the Oxford Times:

Calls to revive direct rail link from Oxford to Bristol backed by Oxfordshire MPs (Member of Parliament)

Direct rail services from Oxford to Bristol should be brought back to boost tourism and open new commuter routes, Oxfordshire County Council and two MPs said.

A high-speed train service would bring tourists into city pubs, restaurants and hotels, it has been claimed.

Bewteen 1999 and 2003 a direct service ran between the cities, but the link was scrapped by the Stategic Rail Authority because it was under-used and to make way for other services on the line between Didcot and Swindon.

First Great Western^s (FGW (First Great Western)) franchise for running trains on the Great Western mainline ends in 2019. When the Department for Transport awards the new contract to FGW or another firm, it would provide the opportunity to re-open the service.

County councillor for Kennington Bob Johnston said: ^Reopening railway stations elsewhere has proved hugely beneficial to business. We would see an awful lot of people, tourists for example, come into town. The Japanese in particular visit Bristol, Oxford and Stratford-upon-Avon, so it could be very good for anything relating remotely to tourists ^ cafes, pubs, hotels.^

The county council unanimously voted to support the proposed service, which would call at Swindon, Didcot and Oxford, in December.

Travellers wanting to go between Oxford and Bristol on the train currently need to change at Didcot.

Mr Johnston said it would also boost the case for reopening Wantage Road station, north of Grove. Plans to reopen the station, which closed in 1964, date back at least 10 years.

Mr Johnston said: ^We have been told by Network Rail that such a service would hugely increase the business case for reopening Wantage Road station. There is set to be huge housing development in Wantage and Grove and there is little employment, so having a station there would open up Didcot, Oxford and Bristol to commuters.^

Wantage MP Ed Vaizey and Abingdon MP Nicola Blackwood have also called for an Oxford to Bristol service for that reason. They have written to Secretary of State for Transport Patrick McLoughlin calling for the service to be included in the next Great Western franchise.

Mr Vaizey said: ^I am looking to businesses and major employers to make clear their support for the economic benefits of better connecting towns and cities along this route.^

FGW said it would be happy to look at the business case for the service.

Network Rail said such a service was among suggestions in its draft Western Route Study, but was just one of many possiblilities.

A Department for Transport spokesman said: ^It is now for the local authorities and the rail industry to work together to look at the feasibility and costs of bringing these new services into use, without jeopardising existing services. We look forward to hearing more about these proposals.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 22:30:19 »

I was not aware that the old Oxford Bristol service was underused.  It always seemed well used when I used it. I thought it was essentially a capacity/reliability issue. 

There were serious moves to reopen Wantage Road as far back as 1978 which were supported by Oxfordshire County Council.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 06:45:59 »

I was not aware that the old Oxford Bristol service was underused.  It always seemed well used when I used it. I thought it was essentially a capacity/reliability issue. 

And it was well used when I used it too ... but that's in terms of my passenger visibility rather than seeing all services through the day.   If you look at number of passengers carried per PATH you might come up with stats which are less in favour of the services, especially if it occupied multiple paths in accountancy terms because it was a 90 mph train on a 125 mph section.  There's also the point that withdrawing the service might not have been expected to have lost the railway a lot of business as it "just" added a change at Didcot, so the train was using up capacity for "no good reason".  ((quoted words show an opinion which few here are likely to share!))

One possibly for the rumour mill (frequent posters, click to go there), but questions are said to going around at the moment about the "most profit" that can be made from trains, and whether changes would result in a lower subsidy requirement in the future. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 06:59:40 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 17:53:38 »

Anecdote is not a way to run a business, but I recall using the an Oxford-Bristol train one evening in the peak and this train used the North to West curve by-passing Didcot Parkway.  It was full to standing to Swindon and I have wondered whether all those good folk clearly commuting went on to use other trains (presumably also crowded) and changed, or whether they found it just as quick to use the bus or (horror) their cars. I always found it a useful train, but it would not have made any money relying on my infrequent leisure trips.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: