Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:35 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 19:55:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[256] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Misleading advertising?
[14] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: West of England main line disruption expected to last for rest of day - 13/1/15  (Read 6025 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: January 13, 2015, 20:08:10 »

From the Western Gazette:

West of England main line disruption expected to last for rest of day - with only a 2-hourly service in operation

Passengers travelling between London Waterloo and Exeter St David's on the West of England main line are being warned that disruption is expected to last until the end of the day.

There is currently a 2-hourly service in operation.

A spokesman for South West Trains said: "Various signalling problems across the network between Salisbury and Exeter St. Davids are disrupting the service we provide to the West of England. At present we are only able to run a 2-hourly service between these stations in both directions.

"Our engineering team are working to rectify the faults at affected locations. As our teams identify and rectify the faults, a separate team is investigating the communication software which controls the signalling equipment.

"Passengers are advised to allow extra time for their journey and check before you travel.

"First Great Western services are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.

"Local bus services are conveying passengers between Exeter St Davids and Honiton in both directions until further notice. Passengers may use Stagecoach bus routes 4 and 52b between Honiton and Exeter St Davids.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 20:39:23 »

Even the two-hourly service has been shelved as SWT (South West Trains) are reporting

"No Service between Salisbury and Exeter St Davids until close of service - Please do not travel tonight unless absolutely necessary.

Various signalling problems across the network between Salisbury and Exeter St. Davids are disrupted. Due to the complexity of the faults we need to suspend the train service for the rest of today."

On a lighter note, it is good to see that the Western Gazette has two things right connecting the picture to the article ...... the SWT 159 and the 'West of England main line'; just a pity it is the wrong West of England main line in the picture, which is taken at Cockwood between Starcross and Dawlish Warren"
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 21:08:37 »

70 taxis and 35 minibuses being used for replacement transport apparently.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 22:27:01 »

On a lighter note, it is good to see that the Western Gazette has two things right connecting the picture to the article ...... the SWT (South West Trains) 159 and the 'West of England main line'; just a pity it is the wrong West of England main line in the picture, which is taken at Cockwood between Starcross and Dawlish Warren

You may very well think that was why I included that image in my quote: I couldn't possibly comment.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 00:18:48 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 06:07:45 »

(updated for the 21st century)

Francis Joseph Underwood is alive and well.  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 13:19:21 »

.............so it can be done!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 13:34:17 »

......if you have that sort of contract in place, I think
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 14:30:11 »

I am guessing that this must have been a faily extensive and serious signalling breakdown given that all trains were suspended and what appears to have been a test train run from Salisbury and Pinhoe and back in the early hours....

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O63665/2015/01/14/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O63668/2015/01/14/advanced

What I find more worrying is that the signalling west of Salisbury is barely a couple of years old having been extensively renewed recently - unless of course it was a 'man-made failure'

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 17:35:49 »

Then it's incumbent upon the likes of FGW (First Great Western) to get one in place, particularly when they are part of a group that operates...........buses, and particularly when reliability & service resilience is a joke.

And before the "well the fares will have to go up then" mantra starts, if the need arises from signal failures then the TOC (Train Operating Company) concerned can offset the cost via the compensation they get from NR» (Network Rail - home page), of which only a small proportion is passed on to the customers.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 19:00:55 »

.............so it can be done!

So (from your follow-up post), I get the impression you are comparing Salisbury to Exeter passenger levels and logistics to a Paddington/Reading peak?   Grin

FGW (First Great Western) managed to have sufficient rail replacement when Dawlish was closed, so yes of course it can be done when passenger levels are appropriate.

I don't ever remember reading that SWT (South West Trains) offer a fleet of mini-buses and taxis when there is mass chaos out of Waterloo.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 19:08:12 by Super Guard » Logged

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 20:09:57 »

Then it's incumbent upon the likes of FGW (First Great Western) to get one in place, particularly when they are part of a group that operates...........buses, and particularly when reliability & service resilience is a joke.

They do, but you need to remember that there isn't a fleet of taxis or buses on standby 24/7. It would be lovely to be able to just click your fingers and have a load of buses or taxis turn up during unplanned disruption.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: